ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

-- Ravens Expected to Trade Jared Gaither --

NFL.com reports the Baltimore Ravens are moving second-year OT Michael Oher to left tackle and OT Jared Gaither to right tackle, according to a team source. Oher is now working at left tackle at Ravens minicamp, which is just underway. The Ravens envision this as a permanent move for the 2010 season, according to a source. Gaither, a restricted free agent who has yet to sign his free-agent tender, is working on the right side during camp.

Guest BallTMore

I hope it's for a 1. Otherwise, giving away one the better LTs in the league, who is only 24 year old, won't make me happy.

Gaither must have J. Russell syndrome (Lazy). I just don't see the need to move him. He was better at LT last season that Oher. Not saying Oher won't improve, but I think this team is better with Gaither and Oher on the field at the same time.

Cousins at RT scares the hell out of me.

Oher out played him at LT.

I seriously doubt that. Filmstudy had Gaither rated higher. Profootball Focus has Gaither rated higher. Hell, Oher himself said at the end of last season that Gaither was the better LT. There is no evidence at all that Oher was the better LT.

But regardless, I am not as scared of Oher at LT as I am of the RT position if Gaither is traded. It seems that the Ravens only ever get one good season of RT play and then they are back to shuffling ppl around with some stop gap measure that gets the QB killed.

One good season of Pashos, then he left and the season afterwards Troy Smith was playing because all the other QBs got killed.

Last season, Gaither is injured, Cousins is in, Flacco gets killed vs Pittsburgh. Business as usual for the Ravens. The RT sucks and the QB is getting killed.

Sooooooo frustrating.

I like McKelvin, but I'm not willing to move him to the Bills. They have garbage offensive tackles and we would be taking a huge step down on offense if we made that move. We have a legitimate shot to win a Super Bowl this year in my mind, and throwing that away by dealing Gaither for a 1st rounder next year or any other lesser player is just stupid.

I seriously doubt that. Filmstudy had Gaither rated higher. Profootball Focus has Gaither rated higher. Hell, Oher himself said at the end of last season that Gaither was the better LT. There is no evidence at all that Oher was the better LT.

But regardless, I am not as scared of Oher at LT as I am of the RT position if Gaither is traded. It seems that the Ravens only ever get one good season of RT play and then they are back to shuffling ppl around with some stop gap measure that gets the QB killed.

One good season of Pashos, then he left and the season afterwards Troy Smith was playing because all the other QBs got killed.

Last season, Gaither is injured, Cousins is in, Flacco gets killed vs Pittsburgh. Business as usual for the Ravens. The RT sucks and the QB is getting killed.

Sooooooo frustrating.

Agreed.

This is a step back for our passinggame. Back to six Oliners and Heap in pass protection to help Oher. And when we had Terry, we at least had an illusion that we had LT depth. Now if..probably when we trade Gaither and Oher gets injuried, we have nothing, and I guess we will see Chester as TE again and again. Why did we even bother to upgrade our recieving corps.

This is NOT GOOD.

The Bills have nothing to offer the Ravens as far as trading players. Their 1st round pick for next year would be excellent because they will have a poor record while rebuilding...but I doubt they give that up.

If Gaither moves then the Ravens are screwed at the tackle position. No depth if injuries happen. It fucks up the whole offense.

However...Gaither can pout or whatever...he's under contract...he has to play for the Ravens or his career is done.

OK...here's an update on the situation...

bs-sp-ravens-jared-gaither-20100509

One day after being moved from left tackle, Jared Gaither was the only offensive player missing from practice. He spent the second day of the Ravens' minicamp in the training room with an unspecified injury.

Gaither, who never spoke about an injury after practice Friday, wasn't available for comment because he never appeared during the hour-long media portion of open locker room.

Offensive coordinator Cam Cameron couldn't say how Gaither got injured or whether the lineman will practice Sunday, the final day of the mandatory minicamp.

"I don't know if it's any one thing," Cameron said when asked how Gaither got hurt. http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-jared-gaither-20100509,0,6906684.story

Edited by vmax

This is NOT GOOD.

The Bills have nothing to offer the Ravens as far as trading players. Their 1st round pick for next year would be excellent because they will have a poor record while rebuilding...but I doubt they give that up.

If Gaither moves then the Ravens are screwed at the tackle position. No depth if injuries happen. It fucks up the whole offense.

However...Gaither can pout or whatever...he's under contract...he has to play for the Ravens or his career is done.

OK...here's an update on the situation...

Not really. Still not signed his tender. And he is that young and talented so he could gamble and sit next year and wait to week ten when he would become a UFA, hopefully and probably not happening, at least that would not be in the Ravens favour.

What is Gaither/Rosenhaul agenda? Well this is obvious, a new contract here or else where, and most likely else where since Ozzies is not likely to give him any offer.

What is not so obvious is the Ravens agenda? Do they really ever wanted him? Would they like to keep a nice talent for no money this year, no doubt! If they could trade him even better! And what I find ugly, they are fabricating all kinds of stories (Ravens together with their local media) they are keep telling us he is lazy, he has a poor work ethic, drug abuse speculations, issues with injuries. Ravens answer they are telling us they like Oher better (did they ever ask Joe?) and Cousins will do fine.

As good as Gaither is, he only played in 11 games last year. If he continues to take time off like this he is going to be even more so vulnerable to injury. If this is the case, get rid of him for a player that can help make this team better for 16 games. On the flip side, if I know Gaither is going to be 100% come playoff time, I am keeping him, franchise him next offseason and trade him away.

As good as Gaither is, he only played in 11 games last year. If he continues to take time off like this he is going to be even more so vulnerable to injury. If this is the case, get rid of him for a player that can help make this team better for 16 games. On the flip side, if I know Gaither is going to be 100% come playoff time, I am keeping him, franchise him next offseason and trade him away.

Im with vmax on this one. We have a legitimate shot at making a deep playoff run. Injury prone or not we need him on the field more than cousins.

If they do want to move him they should look at a team other than the bills. Unless the bills wanna give a first rounder which i highly doubt. Ozzie should loom at teams with deep defrnsive backfields who can spare a good corner.

But still as i said earlier id rather have him back one more year for cheap, our oline would be sick. Joe cool might break a few passing records this year. Yeah im on the kool aid already

Im with vmax on this one. We have a legitimate shot at making a deep playoff run. Injury prone or not we need him on the field more than cousins.

If they do want to move him they should look at a team other than the bills. Unless the bills wanna give a first rounder which i highly doubt. Ozzie should loom at teams with deep defrnsive backfields who can spare a good corner.

But still as i said earlier id rather have him back one more year for cheap, our oline would be sick. Joe cool might break a few passing records this year. Yeah im on the kool aid already

I don't think they are going to trade Gaither at all. We always hear these rumors from NFL.com and then they are just full of themselves. They are moving him the the right side so they won't have to break the bank to re-sign him. If he doesn't sign, we'll have his services for only one more year, but cheap.

This team is not built for the long haul. It should make the playoffs but I do not see it getting the ring. That said cast off who will not help you long term to get the ring. We are to thin on the OL. The passrush will not be good enough and the DB's will not be where we need them to be to cover the DL.

This team is not built for the long haul. It should make the playoffs but I do not see it getting the ring. That said cast off who will not help you long term to get the ring. We are to thin on the OL. The passrush will not be good enough and the DB's will not be where we need them to be to cover the DL.

Have a bad day today?

No these are the things I see as problems. They continue to not deal with major problems onthis team over and over. these problems are why they have not been able to get over the hump for many yrs.

Thanks for warning me! I am just not watch the Ravens this year then because I am only going to be disappointed.

We have not delt with major problems over the years? How about QB, WR, and the offensive line? What about the aging defensive line? This is the NFL in the salary cap era, when these positions I mentioned were problems, we were set at CB with Cmac and co. It is the cycle of the NFL salary cap.

The bottom line is that the NFL playoffs are a crap shoot. It is all about who is hot and who is healthy among a bunch of other things. Teams that looks like studs now become duds and vice-versa (yes, which could very well be us). If we make the playoffs in good health, you take it one game at a time.

The offensive line is thin? Can you name our RT the year we won the Super Bowl? In case you can't, Harry Swayne. I don't think I am worried about the offensive line. Chester filled in solidly as a starter last season, and Yanda has durability all along the line. Cousins may not be a solid starter, but he was decent in spot play last season. If we could win the Super Bowl with Harry Swayne, Cousins should be OK granted we aren't a wreck elsewhere. David Hale has been in the system for a few years and could be ready to step up if called upon. And Ramone Harewood was looking impressive before he got hurt (although I am not expecting anything). Bottom line: we are in a lot better shape than most teams at the offensive line.

Pass rush (extending to corner play) is certainly the achilles heal at this point. Are the additions of Kindle, Redding, and Arthur Jones enough? Are Barnes and Kruger ready to step up? What kind of year are we to expect from Suggs? Is Mattison going to be able to make the adjustments from year one to year two? These are certainly big questions marks.

As bad as our pass defense was last season, we still finished 8th best in the league. Say our stats were padded by a few gimme games, but so was everyone else's. The fact remains that we are still going to be able to stop the run, and probably end up as a top five defense as always when it is said and down. If the offense improves with the additions we've made, you have to like our chances in a sudden death playoff. We proved last year we could play with anyone, the same should be the same this year. The bottom line: this team is a lot more talented than last year's team.