ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Is It Really This Bad?

vmax

We are living in landmark times, when the fate of our country and many parts of the world hangs in the balance.

That Americans are even considering or lending an ear to someone like Trump to be President is totally depressing....and some of the other contenders are an insulting joke too.

Has it got this bad?

Aparently so.

For those who are young, and I care about you, I don't know what message of encouragement that I can give. You are inheriting a shit hole.

I don't mean to be rude, but my biggest hope is that the generation that creates the mess, screwed it up even more, tells me it's my fault, and supports/creates the likes of Trump... will be gone one day.

The reality is, Trump's support base -and many like him- are old. The really angry divisive anti rights angry equality types are old. Not exclusively of course, but the demographics are pretty clear.

The Fox News types are old.

Soon, they won't be old...

dc....my generation protested all the crap that is still alive today. I really hope your generation doesn't have to sing the same song we ended up singing, "Meet the new Boss. Same as the old Boss."

You have a real, live megalomaniac in Donald Trump....and nobody else is grabbing the mic and exposing him.

Instead more morons are getting the mic...

Palin also said she might like to be appointed energy secretary if Trump wins the presidency.

"I think a lot about the Department of Energy, because energy is my baby, oil and gas and minerals, those things that God has dumped on this part of the Earth for mankind's use, instead of relying on unfriendly foreign nations for us to import their resources," Palin said.

"And if I were head of that," she said of the department, "I would get rid of it."

This is more like a Saturday Night Live sitcom if it weren't actually happening.

At times I'm stunned.

Crav, I say this as kindly as possible. I would expect nothing less of you than voting for Trump... And you're betraying more than just your years as a democratic voter for doing it (not that I care about party). He's said nothing specific except that he wants to build a wall. I wish I were surprised that such vague statements work with people, but then again, people love to watch coach speak and player interviews... And they love Sarah Palin... It's really pathetic.

Meanwhile, Max, so much right was done by your generation and yet so much has changed since the 60s-70s within that same generation. First, of course, we forget that there were plenty back then too in favor of bad, racist ideas... They didn't go away, they just became quieter. Second, even the good ones have, in some cases, changed. The adage by Churchill or whoever about age and liberalism/conservatism is true... Not that it's good to be one or the other, but simply that people become more conservative over time.

I mean only to say that the greatest opponents now to ideas like single payer healthcare or subsidized tuition are the older generation. And it's sad doubly because they both blame the youth for a problem we didn't create (or simply tell us to live with it if we really care!) and they benefit(ed) from the very things that they say they despise. Single payer healthcare, like Medicare? Affordable tuition and reasonable interest rates, like forty years ago? Compared to inflation, college costs triple what it did in the 1970s. Then, you could work minimum wage for the summer and pay for your tuition all year. Now, you with minimum wage for the whole year and good luck going to college, let alone paying for it.

The discussion should be less about how insane a Trump presidency would be and more about how few to none of the other options from either party make much more sense.

Political campaigns are increasingly run via shock value and headlines, because that is what we as a country increasingly consume as our news and education. That is why Trump is leading, and I'm sorry, but it's not just because of the old white Republicans. It's because of all of us. When he says things like "I'm going to be the best jobs president ever", we believe him, because it's a powerful statement and we want to believe it. And we have so little desire to understand the evidence suggesting that it won't be the case that we don't collectively bother trying.

That is why things will not change when the older generation dies off. This is the political landscape that we have created for ourselves, and it's not going to go away.

I was wondering when the 2016 election discussion would come. I considered offering a different perspective to the predominant viewpoint in this topic, but I think I'll stay on the sidelines for now. I am enjoying the discussion, however. I think everyone here comes from a good and honest place.

I do agree with Force's post though.

Force - certainly don't disagree with a lot of your general idea; in fact, an argument could be made that such a swing started decades ago and of course that even Obama is a result of that kind of political movement/system.

BUT, demographically, the numbers are clear - the truly scary, sad and hateful ideas that come from the likes of Trump and his ilk are overwhelmingly supported by older, whiter men. And simply put, that demographic is fading fast. It's why the GOP will have trouble winning the presidency again under the current system and given their current brand of politics.

I have little faith that the younger generations will be any better as governors in any meaningful regard. We'll continue to elect the loudmouth or the catchphrase or the cool motto of the day. Sanders might well win simply by running "against the billionaires" and on "free education" - even if his foreign policy skills are severely lacking (though, not sure who has those skills these days?). But my post was directly in regards to Trump: the vile spewed by Trump specifically is a fading brand and that is my one hope when I watch the circus of this year so far.

On Veep this season (or last) there was a former baseball manager that was running for president. In debates and interviews he said nothing other than sports euphemisms and his poll numbers kept going up. Kind of what Trump reminds me of.

Dc, what has trump said that is hateful? In the US today if he spoke hateful against a group of people you would dam sure see a protest.

You have become a troll with this question Crav...or you're just blind to the obvious. His opinions on Immigrants and women are a small sample...

Well what said isn't it true? Why should the illegals get free healthcare, welfare, housing, food stamps..

We work dam hard for the little bit of health insurance we have, and it is costly for the crappy coverage that is offered.

By no means is that a baited question. When you get older, these are important issues.

The immigrant question would take too long, but I'll start with one little fact: we need immigrants and more workers to sustain our finances. Social security and Medicare can not survive as our population ages, lives longer and had fewer children in the workforce.

As for women, you haven't seen the protests? I'm sorry, but you don't call women bimbos or discuss their looks in such a manner and get taken seriously. His whole style of "anti pc" is bullshit. You can curse and disagree and say thingsi disagree with. But that's different from "winning arguments" by calling me a loser.

He is an internet troll. If you can see that, I can't help.

• Upvote 1

Sorry can't resist... Most immigrants don't get free services. It's hard to get free services when you don't have a SSN.

Plus, the entire "follow the rules" when you come is loaded. Your grandparents came legally? You mean when all you had to do was sign your name in a book because no one cared? Did they call your entire country drug dealers and rapists too? (Actually, for most of us they did... And how sad it was)

Meanwhile, even Trump's idea of "other countries will listen" is a joke. I'm sure yelling and shouting and calling Mexicans criminals will endear their government to us. And I'm sure when we put tariffs on their goods, they won't just retaliate with the same...

As for your money, I'm sure you understand that people looking their money doesn't always mean they like your money too...

• Upvote 1

Yesterday, Trump couldn't identify key members of the Iranian regime and argued that it wasn't his business to know that yet... He'd learn it when he was elected.

Today, he's an expert on the negotiations that took place...

Ive been doing deals for a long time, Ive been making lots of wonderful deals great deals thats what I do, Mr. Trump said in his speech. Never, ever, ever in my life have I seen any transaction as incompetently negotiated as our deal with Iran.

... I know he didn't... ???

The point is, how can he claim one day to be ignorant of foreign affairs because they aren't "his business" right now and then the next claim to be an expert on a negotiation he didn't take part in and most people didn't take part in?

... I know he didn't... ???

The point is, how can he claim one day to be ignorant of foreign affairs because they aren't "his business" right now and then the next claim to be an expert on a negotiation he didn't take part in and most people didn't take part in?

Because he's the best at learning stuff quickly! The best!