ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Edsall has to go

vmax

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crav... In the previous convo, remember it's not just about football. Football is about the money, and eventually competing ... Which could happen given the better exposure.

But we can and will compete in every other Big10 sport from the very beginning.

@DanWolken: Name I'm hearing could be in play at Maryland: JMU's Everett Withers. Knows the Big Ten.

He has done a great job with that program, but there is a big difference between recruiting for CAA and FCS compared to the Big 10. Even so, I would like to see him get the job if he would be interested.....

He has done a great job with that program, but there is a big difference between recruiting for CAA and FCS compared to the Big 10. Even so, I would like to see him get the job if he would be interested.....

Agreed. Withers did a great job as DC of both UNC and OSU, and coached UNC to a winning record as an interim head coach. However, this wouldn't be a sexy hire that the boosters are expecting.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/blog/maryland-talk/mark-richt-damon-evans-fired-georgia-has-connection-maryland?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Mark Richt has been fired from his job as the head coach at Georgia, meaning that now in a sea of open jobs, Richt will be a desired commodity.

Since rumblings of discontent in Athens began earlier this season, there has been the mention of his connection to College Park -- Maryland associate athletic director and former Georgia AD Damon Evans.

This would be a huge upgrade if they can do it.

Richt will never wil a national championship. He will be the place setter for coaches that can. That said it makes UMD much more attractive. Maybe his replacement many yrs from now can be the guy to get over the top.

Probably not, but I don't think that's a slight against Richt moreso as it is a testament to guys like Nick Saban and Urban Meyer. Amazing LSU would even consider firing Les Miles with the winning percentage he has, much less $15M to leave. Same with Nebraska and Bo Pelini a year ago. The line between a solid coach and a national championship is very difficult to cross. It's like you said, you know a guy won't be able to get you over the hump. But do you take a risk of replacing him when the new coach will likely not even be as good as the old coach? It's tough, but a risk you must take if you want to win a championship. Kind of like a good QB vs. an elite QB in the NFL.

UMD at this point needs a guy who can win 9 games, maybe challenge for a Big Ten title down the road. Richt would be perfect for that. I think for a program without a rich football history like Maryland to win a national championship (much less a Big Ten title), the program will have to be built up more first regardless of who the coach is.

Agreed. I would take Richt in a heartbeat. I am just saying to keep expectations in check. After 5 yrs and he doesn't win a NC let it go.

The SEC is nuts now. If you can't take Saban out you are out. I don't think all these bigtime schools will get name coaches.

ESPN posted a good article about what you mention: Saban's effect on coaching in the SEC:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14259323/nick-saban-impact-mark-richt-les-miles

Amazing that Miss State's head coach Dan Mullen interviewed for the Miami job. After seven years it's almost as if he knows he can't beat Saban and it will only be a matter of time before he's let go. Might as well go out on his own terms.

Richt is also rumored to be in play for the Miami job (he played QB for them). Btw that Miami job is not a good job. Bad conference, private school with high academic standards, a terrible sports town, bad facilities, and a stadium that's forty minutes from campus and doesn't get good student body support. But then again, Miami is a great place to live...

Looks like Richt is going to the U. I also saw an article today about how he was punished by the NCAA for taking money out of his pocket and giving it to what he thought were underpaid assistants.

Everything I've read about Richt says he's a great guy and good with the media. Outstanding hire for Miami. With how weak that ACC division is he should be competing in no time.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/12/02/dj-durkin-is-new-maryland-football-head-coach/

D.J. Durkin Is New Maryland Football Head Coach

Well there you go. When this fail and I do think it will fail Anderson has to leave. They might as well have stuck with Edsell.

Yeah, I don't understand this one, unless no one else wanted the job. This is a great recruiting area, tv time is fabulous with the Big 10, playing against top tier talent. With all the experienced coaches out there, they go for him?

Yeah, I don't understand this one, unless no one else wanted the job. This is a great recruiting area, tv time is fabulous with the Big 10, playing against top tier talent. With all the experienced coaches out there, they go for him?

Who would you have liked the Terps to hire? Outside of Richt, I was not impressed with the candidates out there. Unless you consider waiting to see what happens with Bill O'Brien or Chip Kelly and take that risk.

Kelly or waiting for Miles.

This seems to be the consensus among UMD fans. I think that is because Kevin Anderson set the expectation that this would be a big time hire. However, when you fire your coach midseason you put yourself in a purgatory. Signing day is in February, so waiting for the NFL season to end to see if Chip Kelly or Bill O'Brien will be available would essentially wreck this recruiting class. If you are positive you can get a guy like Kelly or O'Brien, that is no big deal. However, waiting that long not only are you risking Kelly or O'Brien not being available, but you are risking a hot prospect like Durkin not being available as well.

Well Miles is staying now. I would have back channeled Kelly. I do not see OBrien coming here but Chip is a real possibility.

Maybe they did that and Kelly wasn't interested? I would have to think USC would have waited had there been a chance of hiring Kelly instead of promoting internally.

Rutgers goes the same route as UMD and hires Chris Ash, OSU's DC. Between Ash and Durkin, OSU and Michigan are sure to lose some other coaches, which is good for the rest of the division.