ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Maryland Hoops

vmax

This should be a great season to watch Maryland Basketball.

MARYLAND
Maybe it’s a little silly to include on a list of rising programs one that won a national title as recently as 2002 and has made six of 13 NCAA tournaments since. But still: Maryland is a national program that hasn’t made the Sweet 16 since 2003. And the Mark Turgeon era started off rough. He missed the tournament his first three seasons, then endured a rash of transfers before last season and was considered on the hot seat. What a difference a year makes. Maryland won 28 games last year, the most since the title season, and was a four seed in the NCAA tournament. Add to that mix a top-10 big man recruit in Diamond Stone and two elite transfers – Robert Carter (Georgia Tech) and Rasheed Sulaimon (Duke) – and Maryland has the depth and balance of a possible national title team.http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/10-college-basketball-programs-on-the-rise-whos-the-next-virginia/ss-BBmNsLl#image=10

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This teams doesn't have 'Swagger".

South Dakota almost came back from being buried. A team with Swagger would have destroyed them.

I'm talking about this because they will meet some team that is intimidating and they wil have to not back down, fight it out blow to blow and intimidate back.

They won so it's on to the Sweet 16 for 1st time since 2003, even if they lost their swagger.

Women's team is still in it too.

Basektball team has done well since going into the Big 10 but can't say same for football

but Turgeon while a great recruiter infuriates fans like above, even when he wins.

He's like the Ravens Pees, D. Coord.

#7. Advantages: The Terps are talented. Really talented. We’ve been over this, haven’t we? There isn’t a player in the Terps first eight who wouldn’t be a welcome addition if somehow he could be made available to any other team left in the tournament.

Disadvantages: Sitting now at 24th in offense and 38th in defense, we see that the product of all that high-end talent has been less than sparkling. The Terps have neither an extraordinary offense nor defense. Their chemistry often seems lacking, and gifted point guard Melo Trimble clearly doesn’t have the same degree of impact as he did as a freshman. Most his key stats are down: shooting percentage, 3-point percentage, free throw attempts. The one area of improvement is his playmaking, where he now gets five assists per game.http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/ranking-each-sweet-16-teams-chances-of-winning-2016-title/ar-BBqJwZf?li=BBnb7Kz#page=7

Can anybody see them getting by Kansas.

I can't. not after the look on Turgeon's face during the post game news conference. He looked sick, scared and the like season was over when he spoke about facing Kansas next.

I'm sure that won't inspire confidence in his team.

He's really wussing out.........

Maryland coach Mark Turgeon on facing his alma mater Kansas in the Sweet 16: "The Kansas thing is not that weird to me anymore or unique. It was a little bit that way the first time we played. Being at Texas A&M, we played them a lot. You get used to it. I'd rather play them in a national championship game than a Sweet 16 game, but here we are so we'll play it. It is what it is."

"Oh well! It is what it is. Too bad we have to play them. Gosh....Darn....Heck!""

Edited by vmax

But what's he's supposed to say? They're the top team in the country, you ignore it and say we love facing it now instead if later?

I just get tired of over analyzing an this stuff. Some coaches are great rahrah guys on a certain way, some work differently. Not better or worse.

Let's all pile on Turg. He's only the best recruiter the university has ever had in any sport...

But what's he's supposed to say? They're the top team in the country, you ignore it and say we love facing it now instead if later?

I just get tired of over analyzing an this stuff. Some coaches are great rahrah guys on a certain way, some work differently. Not better or worse.

Let's all pile on Turg. He's only the best recruiter the university has ever had in any sport...

Agreed.

I like this prediction....

Thursday, 9:40 p.m., CBS

Kansas has some very good players, but the Jayhawks are a classic case of a team’s whole being greater than the sum of its parts. Maryland has had the opposite problem—really good pro prospects but the pieces haven't fit well together. Still, when we get to the later rounds of the NCAA tournament, talent usually wins out. I like the way Maryland senior guard Rasheed Sulaimon has taken over the leadership of his team, and although I don’t like the way sophomore guard Melo Trimble has been shooting the ball the second half of the season, at least he is getting back to his primary strength, which is to butter his bread at the foul line. (He was a combined 22 for 23 from the stripe during the Terps’ two wins in Spokane.) Moreover, I like the matchup in the frontcourt, where Maryland can rotate five big men to defend Kansas senior forward Perry Ellis without needing help. That’s potentially 25 fouls and zero double teams, which should leave the Terps’ guards to close out more aggressively on Frank Mason, Devote’ Graham and Wayne Selden. Finally, I am encouraged by the spark of life I’ve seen over the last month from Maryland senior forward Jake Layman, who struggled with his shot for much of the season but erupted for 27 points (5 for 8 from three) in the first-round win over South Dakota State. Maryland has the lower floor of these two, but it also has the higher ceiling. I have a hunch the Terps are ready to reach it.

Maryland 80, Kansas 78