• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#21 cravnravn

cravnravn

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,942 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 04:02 AM

Rumor is Boras countered with 8 year 200 MIL..I know for a fact Petey and Co are not matching that.

#22 Spen

Spen

Pro Bowler

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:36 AM

Rumor is Boras countered with 8 year 200 MIL..I know for a fact Petey and Co are not matching that.

I like Davis, but they shouldn't match that.
Hi.

#23 GrubberRaven

GrubberRaven

Veteran

• PipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • Interests:My Family, Ravens, Orioles, Exercise/Biking, and the stage...

Posted 10 December 2015 - 01:10 PM

Offer has been pulled...O's moving on...unless CD comes back quick, money will be used elsewhere.

This prick shows no loyalty (really no one does in today's sports) to a fan base that forgave his past...f him...

#24 varaven45

varaven45

Veteran

• PipPipPip
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 04:21 PM

its probably just as well.  Let some suckers throw $200 M at the strikeout machine and 1 violation from another suspension.

Meanwhile, its its time to pursue some pitching (maybe Scott Kazmir) and another bat (e.g. Alex Gordon). 

Hey, Its a damn business eh !

#25 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,770 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:33 PM

Offer has been pulled...O's moving on...unless CD comes back quick, money will be used elsewhere.

This prick shows no loyalty (really no one does in today's sports) to a fan base that forgave his past...f him...

But this is just what I have been saying over and over.  Basically none of the players now have loyalty.  They fought for FA for a reason.  They look to maximize their value.  That is why I said to trade him after the 53 HR season.  

k2-_2564f5e3-aa08-456b-81e9-b7cffd9b394d

Fako, Joe Fako I am the Pick Machine!!!

#26 cravnravn

cravnravn

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,942 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:25 PM

No one is knocking crush's door down with an offer, and our 150 MIL offer is off the table.

#27 dc.

dc.

Don't Really Give A...

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:35 PM

Not officially off the table, but we said "we're continuing our search and if we fill the hole/spend the cash before you say yes, then sorry."

I think it is the right play.

I am not convinced he'll get more elsewhere-at least not 25m more. And I doubt he'll get more time. I would definitely prefer a starting pitcher though.

I also think Davis is thinking long and hard about production in another ball park. Not that it affects his pay anytime soon, but I think it's a pride factor

Love our rule five pick up. Expected to make opening day line up, I'm betting lead off even unless we get Span or someone similar.
Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster too. And when you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares also into you.

#28 thundercleetz

thundercleetz

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,992 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:45 PM

Jason Heyward gets 8-years $184M from the Cubs. Supposedly he rejected $200M deals from the Nats and Cards because the Cubs gave him insane player opt-out clauses after three and four years. Risky contract for the Cubs. Heyward is only 26-years old and plays outstanding defense, as well as gets on base at a high clip. However, he is an enormous guy that hits for no power. The Cubs are going to place him in CF because Solar and Schwarber are awful defensive players. You know Heyward's defense will decline over time because he is a big guy who hasn't grown into his 6'5" frame yet. Take into account there is no power premium (and it will likely even decline worse because of his awkward swing), and this has the makings of a bad contract. I think he is a similar player to Nick Markakis or Carl Crawford, and not a Bryce Harper or Mike Trout.

#29 cravnravn

cravnravn

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,942 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:16 AM

My fear for this season, we didn't replace Cruz's numbers last year, how we replacing Crush's numbers? I just hope to hell we are not going back to battling Tampa for the fifth spot in the Al East.

#30 dc.

dc.

Don't Really Give A...

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:19 AM

We actually did replace Cruz's numbers power wise... Our offensive trouble continues to be obp and moving guys around the bases.

Crush was responsible for a lot if runs by hr... But how many guys were left on base with his K's? Replacing his power may not be easy, but higher average and lower K's could lead someone else to get similar rbi numbers and leadership. See the Royals with guys like Morales and Hosmer.

It would be pretty incredible to lose the hr leader in consecutive seasons.

And if course remember, it's not just about this year. I still worry about this contract offer to Davis in years 34,35,36... K's will likely only go up.
Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster too. And when you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares also into you.

#31 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,770 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:29 PM

Agree DC

k2-_2564f5e3-aa08-456b-81e9-b7cffd9b394d

Fako, Joe Fako I am the Pick Machine!!!

#32 cravnravn

cravnravn

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,942 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:14 PM

We actually did replace Cruz's numbers power wise... Our offensive trouble continues to be obp and moving guys around the bases.
Crush was responsible for a lot if runs by hr... But how many guys were left on base with his K's? Replacing his power may not be easy, but higher average and lower K's could lead someone else to get similar rbi numbers and leadership. See the Royals with guys like Morales and Hosmer.
It would be pretty incredible to lose the hr leader in consecutive seasons.
And if course remember, it's not just about this year. I still worry about this contract offer to Davis in years 34,35,36... K's will likely only go up.

How can you say that, we came nowhere close to replacing Cruz's numbers

#33 cravnravn

cravnravn

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,942 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:21 PM

[quote name="cravnravn" post="101007" timestamp="1450030460"]

Then I guess we didn't replace Andy Millers production

#34 dc.

dc.

Don't Really Give A...

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:23 PM

How can you say that, we came nowhere close to replacing Cruz's numbers

Did any individual replace him? No.

But we scored more runs and hit more homeruns - as a team - than we did in 2014. Davis hit 21 more. Manny hit 23 more. Pearce, much as I dislike him, hit more than Markakis had. 

So again, it wasn't exactly like power was our issue. Nor was Cruz's 270 avg or 333 obp irreplaceable. (In fairness, both were above average for us this year, but neither is stellar in a league setting)

Pitching. On base. 

#35 dc.

dc.

Don't Really Give A...

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:26 PM

[quote name="cravnravn" post="101007" timestamp="1450030460"]

Then I guess we didn't replace Andy Millers production

Well considering we only had him for two months...

Here's the real rub... we scored more runs last year than 2014 (only by about 10, but more). We allowed 100 more runs last year than in 2014. 

Wonder where the wins went.

But regarding Miller more directly - we still had a stellar bullpen last year. But Tillman, Gonzalez, ... it wasn't a pretty year for our starters.

#36 dc.

dc.

Don't Really Give A...

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:29 PM

Almost forgot... poor Bud Norris in 2015. Ugh.

Meanwhile, our core bullpen guys - Britton, Brach, O'Day, Matusz - All ERAs sub 3. Two with ERAS sub 2. And Givens coming up with a sub-2 ERA as well. 

#37 thundercleetz

thundercleetz

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,992 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:55 PM

O's sign Korean LF Hyun-soo Kim. Average defender and limited to LF, but he hit .326/.428/.541 with 26 doubles, 28 homers and 121 RBI. He walked 101 times and struck out only 63 times. Sure, that was in the KBO, but Jung-ho Kang had an outstanding year for the Pirates. So a successful transition is possible.

Regardless, Kim, bringing back LJ Hoes, drafting Joey Rickard in the Rule 5 draft, the message is clear: Duquette and Buck want OBP.

I am still holding out hope for re-signing Crush. That way Trumbo is the full time DH. However, if we can't sign Crush, Justin Upton would be a nice fixture in RF, and hopefully one of Kim, Hoes or Rickard can pan out in LF. Trumbo and Trey Mancini could be our 1B/DH combo.

#38 dc.

dc.

Don't Really Give A...

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:13 PM

Love the Kim signing. Huge. Cheap. I'm expecting a lot. Kang did so well in Pit and Kim's numbers are better down the board.

#39 Spen

Spen

Pro Bowler

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:46 PM

So they signed a communist. I'm out.
Hi.

#40 thundercleetz

thundercleetz

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,992 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:30 AM

Looks like it's Davis or bust for the Orioles:

http://www.baltimore...1217-story.html

Scouting report on Kim from a KBO analyst based in Seoul:

http://www.baltimore...1217-story.html

Says he was an Alex Gordon-like player in the KBO and was a top-10 player in that league.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users