ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

2015 Offseason

dc.

I'm not worried as much about the bats now. As far as lead off I think we have two really good candidates:

Rule 5 pick Joey Rickards has a high career OBP and steals bases. LJ Hoes doesn't run as well, but he gets on-base and is a smart runner with average speed. Rickards could start in RF and lead off, and Hoes/Kim could start in LF and bat second. Manny is our best hitter and needs to hit third. Bat Crush fourth, AJ fifth and Wieters sixth.

Roch says Davis means Cespedes offer is of the table. Still need pitching. Less worried about bats, but still would prefer something proven to some of the maybes we have at the top of the order...

Rickard Rf

Manny 3b

Jones cf

Davis 1b

Trumbo dh

Kim lf

Wieters c

Schoop 2b

Hardy ss

I mean, I could move so many guys around and that's a killer line up...

I think we need more of a proven, successful lead off guy. Not sure Rickard or Hoes fill the niche. The rest of the lineup looks good.

Still need a SP to fill the void created by Chen's departure.

No we don't, Chen couldn't make the major league club last year ;)

The team still needs a number of needs but its not like if they don't sign Davis today they magically have all their other needs met. They are better with a legit power hitting first baseman than they are without one, no matter where else they have holes.

Just saw the breakdown of the deal. Crazy but good, I'd say:

17 per year for 7

3.5 per year for another 10 or something

1.5 per year for 4

So, it's really a 20 year deal. No interest on later years and deferments.

Lots of flexibility now for a little payout later

Some additional thoughts on the Davis signing:

Look at AJ's tweets. This was the sort of signing we needed to make to send a message across the league, and to our own guys, that Baltimore is serious about winning. Don't make this singing and it looks bad that we let the HR champs of the past two seasons walk.

That would have been too big a hole to fill, and by not going for a total rebuild in the vein of Chicago or Houston, we would be a perpetual state of mediocrity.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like giving up such a high draft pick, but here are a couple of fairly older articles on Gallardo analyzing how he's become a ground ball pitcher. Could be a good fit with our solid infield defense.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2015/6/28/8857891/yovani-gallardo-rangers-ground-ball-pitcher

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/the-new-yovani-gallardo/

The more I've read,the less I want gallardo. Just no.

Meanwhile, is it coincidence my phone auto corrects gallardo to gallstones? I think not, and it makes the above statement more forceful.

• Upvote 2

Btw I am very disappointed to hear we DFA'd LJ Hoes. I do not know anything about Efren Navarro. Apparently he plays good defense, has a good minor league career OBP, and of course, is a much needed left handed hitter that hits RHP well.

Obviously I hope another MLB team picks up Hoes. But selfishly I would like to see him clear waivers and stay in the organization. I love his baseball IQ and plate approach and would like for him to get a chance with us eventually.

The Sun reported today that the O's only had one or two prospects in the major rankings that came out this week: Harvey and Bundy. Bundy didn't make some lists. Neither ranked in top 50, tended to be 60s to 80s.

The front office has sold us on a false narrative about our farm system for 20years now.

When I look at the lists, I can't think of who else belongs... But Duquette maintains we're being under valued.

Even Trey Mancini, who I'm excited about, really has a limited upside. Great average, coming into his power, but almost no walks... Clear sign to me that he'll struggle to move up. Probably why they were so eager to get Davis and even Trumbo

DC, I've pretty much become immune to any hype with our prospects. I just don't have any sort of expectations. The practice of GMs saying their guys are undervalued is something every team does. On the flip side, the money we are spending internationally and in the draft are much higher than in the 2000s when our farm system was a barren desert. Basically, things aren't as good as Duquette tells us, but they aren't as bad as the pre-Showalter years.

Jomar Reyes and Chance Sisco are two names to watch in the lower/mid levels. Reyes is a third baseman who will likely start in Frederick. Just about to turn 19 and is 6'3" 220+. Probably will be a first basemen/DH. Raw but massive power. Yes lots of strikeouts and not many walks.

Sisco is a 20-year old left handed hitting catcher who finished the season in Bowie and will likely start this season there. He's moved up fast. In 95 minor league games last season, 42 walks and 55 SOs. Listed at 6'2" 192, power could come.

As for Mancini. The walk numbers weren't terrible. 22 in 84 games at Bowie, only 58 SOs, he had a .395 OBP. Not an elite prospect, but on a different level than Christian Walker, Brandon Snyder, or any of the fringe 1B prospects we've had in the past.

On Mancini, the 390 obp looks great... But when it's on a 340 average, it looks less impressive. And 22 walks... Becomes 40 in a full season. Any decent obp guy needs to be pushing double that.

On Mancini, the 390 obp looks great... But when it's on a 340 average, it looks less impressive. And 22 walks... Becomes 40 in a full season. Any decent obp guy needs to be pushing double that.

BABIP at Bowie was .408, iso-power was .227. Same numbers the year before at Frederick were .276 and .145, respectively. I don't think Mancini was ever advertised as a high OBP guy. He has always been a high contact guy. His new compact swing, that Brady helped him with, created more solid contact turning more of those outs into hits. Slugging percentage in Bowie was also very impressive. The new swing has led to more doubles and home runs.

Walk rate at Bowie was a little higher, but strike out rate was about the same as the rest of his career numbers. I am very interested to see how he does at Norfolk this year. It's a big park so I'm guessing with his contact rate we'll see lots of hits and doubles.

Ridiculous, the O's play in Orlando March 1, at the Braves, 2 tickets 105 dollars thru ticket master. We won't be seeing the O's this spring. I only paid 135 for two tickets to see the ravens play the dolphins in December.

The Braves have to pay for Nick Markakis! You know that!

• Upvote 1