ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

2015 Offseason

dc.

But wouldn't Reimold, when healthy, be our bat against lefties?

And yeah, Machado in leadoff stinks. I think he'll end up #2. You can have him leadoff and get doubled up by your #2, or just let the #1 guy get out... I see no reason to make him lead off when there is equally no viable option at #2. Not like they are moving Jones and Davis up.

Kim/Rickards-Machado-Jones-Davis-Trumbo-Wieters-Alvarez-Schoop-Hardy makes most sense to me. All rights at the bottom though.

Move just makes no sense the more I see it. Literally one guy, Manny, that has proven he can get on base..

The rotation this spring is showing literally ZERO sign of achieving ANY of the "ifs" that would be needed to make us respectable.

The bats are not much better, though they worry me less. But seriously, it's going to be dingers or done all year long. Just sad.

Both Rickards and Christian Walker (who now plays LF) have had great springs hitting the ball. And Rickards defense has been excellent. Reports say Trumbo has been pretty good in RF. It doesn't look pretty but he's making the plays he's supposed to. We have options in the outfield if a guy doesn't work out.

Kim has been not great at the plate. Getting towards awful. Jayson Stark said he's been unable to keep up with even average fastballs.

And yesterday the O's struck out ten times in 14 batters. Against a very average pirates pitcher.

Most bats have been fine. Kim has rebounded with a 8-16 or something, but mostly weak singles which was not his apparent MO in Korea... Still unsure.

But there are other options there while he, hopefully, adjusts

Lineup is heating up! Trumbo has hit some bombs and he's displayed a strong arm in RF. Rickards has been a stud this spring. Buck is going to have a hard time not penciling him in as the everyday lead off hitter. Especially if it lets Manny hit 2/3. I've seen a lineup this spring of Rickards-AJ-Manny. I like it.

I am worried about Gausman's shoulder. If we want any chance contending he has to take a big step.

Yeah, I want Rickard out there. Period.

A few Korean players over the years have resigned and returned home when overmatched in the Spring. I am OK with it if it doesn't cost us the contact value. If it does, make him stay.

I still think he could become like Kang for the Pirates last year, so if like to see him stay on so long as it's not at the expense of Rickard

Well, first, he's from Korea.

But second, we can't send him anywhere. If we cut him, he gets 7m from us and anyone else in the league could sign him for almost nothing - including a potential minors assignment.

But really it's the money we are worried about. Let $7m just disappear after 44 at bats? He started 0/24. Last year, Kang started 1/23 for the Pirates in spring training and was arguably their second best all around hitter by season's end. Would hate to let that potential and cash walk.

Well, first, he's from Korea.

But second, we can't send him anywhere. If we cut him, he gets 7m from us and anyone else in the league could sign him for almost nothing - including a potential minors assignment.

But really it's the money we are worried about. Let $7m just disappear after 44 at bats? He started 0/24. Last year, Kang started 1/23 for the Pirates in spring training and was arguably their second best all around hitter by season's end. Would hate to let that potential and cash walk.

I think the problem here is there is no room in the lineup for Kim to get EXP through ABs. Rickards without a doubt won the starting job, is a much better fit for our lineup (speedy lead off hitter), and plays better defense than Kim. Sure, we could stash Kim as the 25th man and he could possibly get into the lineup against LHP (Alvarez can't hit lefties). But it seems the O's are trying to convince Kim it's in his best interest to get the ABs.

I don't think we'll release him. There is no guarantee Rickards will work out, or we could have injuries. If/when this happens, it would be nice if Kim had a streak of ABs in Norfolk.

The other thing about Kim: he showed up this winter out of shape and overweight. Brady had to whip him into shape in a short period of time before spring training. The transition to playing baseball in the US was going to be hard enough on its own, not being in shape makes things that much more difficult.

Yeah - agree with all of the above. Not saying there was a right answer, but just why it's so hard to let him go - even though we have place for him.

I think they'll have a few plans: ABs vs lefties, as you said, in place of Alvarez (though, that is also in competition with Reimold)... and defensive replacement for Trumbo, which could steal him an AB here or there, assuming we're ever winning a game.