ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens have enough CAP space for Weddle and Wallace

TBird

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm curious , i'm not that familiar with Weddle, what about this guy makes this a great signing? looking at his stats nothing really jumps out at me except that he rarely gets hurt. i don't see playmaker but bare in mind i'm just going be the stats. i want to like the signing but i don't get the excitement, someone please enlighten me on this guy

He is smart, crafty, instinctive. Not that fast, nor quick, but his football intelligence and instinct help him be in the right place at the right time.

He is a natural leader, by word yes, but more importantly by work ethic. Something this secondary has needed for some time.

He signed for $29M and $9 bonus - $7M now. Pissburgh was also interested in him but he

knew Steve Smith, SR and Weddle was more excited about the Ravens than any of the other teams

interested.

He's extremely durable playing every game for 4 years til a groin injury forced him out.

Strong tackler. They won't let a #1 choice go right away. Maybe Elam can learn from him. They

should have brought Ed Reed back to coach Elam. He's in Buff now.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Pro-Bowl-Safety-Eric-Weddle-To-Join-Ravens/ace6946d-d4c6-4263-b5fb-4685079e11ca

At the moment I feel good about this. Sick about the money, but what are you going to do?

Rod Woodson had been in the league 11 years and was about 31 when the Ravens got him.

Now...Woodson is a Hall of Fame player and Weddel isn't.

But what are you going to do?

Every safety on the roster has failed. They are a total liability.

There is no brains, ability or ball skills back there.

It was get Weddel or bring back Bruce Laird.

Weddel and Webb

Stay healthy My Friends..

Edited by vmax

I feel even better about this signing... I had forgotten about Schaub in the compensation calculation! The Falcons signed Schaub, so as long as Upshaw signs somewhere else (Colts are likely), then the third round pick from KO is back in play!

yodoz2%20copy.jpg"Always one step ahead of you!" :gorave:

At the moment I feel good about this. Sick about the money, but what are you going to do?

Rod Woodson had been in the league 11 years and was about 31 when the Ravens got him.

Now...Woodson is a Hall of Fame player and Weddel isn't.

But what are you going to do?

Every safety on the roster has failed. They are a total liability.

There is no brains, ability or ball skills back there.

It was get Weddel or bring back Bruce Laird.

Weddel and Webb

Stay healthy My Friends..

Bruce Laird! Now that's a name from the past. I think Andy Nelson is still in the area though. :thumbup:

Worried about the age and giving up the comp pick, however, it we are to sign someone who's 31 best be a safety who has had outstanding metrics:

https://twitter.com/pff/status/709434946604167170

I hope we can sign Wallace, then load up on linebackers and corners in the draft.

Ditto on that. If Jags draft Ramsy as most mocks say, that leaves Jack and Spence to us as well as

Buckner if SD drafts Tunsil or it leaves Bosa to us if Tenn drafts Tunsil first as many drafts say.

Bad thing about Wallace is he didn't live up to his $60M contract. Not even close.

Maybe WEddle can coach Elam a thing or two about tackling and he can take over when he retires.

Not always, we told him no on every Bama player he wanted to draft and on the last two safeties he drafted.....

Good thing Ozzie didn't listen to you on CJ Mosley and JJ. We wanted Zack Martin who was drafted by

Dallas ahead of us but CJ was Ozzie's guy all along. Missed rookie of year by 7 votes do

Donald who had a ton of sacks.

Oustanding. I know his age was a question mark for some, but keep in mind, safeties have one of the longest shelf lives in the NFL.

Now they have real leadership and play making ability back there.

Draft the Boise kid, Thompson in the second.....

Who is the Boise kid? Haven't seen him in any top 6 of mocks.

I usually don't like reading Hensley but this is a good point:

Wallace can revitalize his career by going from a poor fit to a potentially perfect one. Baltimore represents the most chances for Wallace to run straight down the field, which is what he does best.

In Flacco's first seven seasons (2008-2014), he threw 108 passes that traveled 40 yards or more in the air. That's 20 more than any other quarterback over that span. Flacco completed 28 of them (only Drew Brees had more).

Last season, Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater attempted four such passes. He connected on none of them.

http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/26407/how-the-ravens-can-seal-the-deal-with-mike-wallace

Even in Miami, while Tannehill has a strong arm, the Dolphins rarely took shots downfield.

If Perriman is healthy, isn't that his purpose as well?

Guessing Oz doesn't want to keep his eggs in one basket like last year. Who knows if Perriman is healthy and even so he'll have to learn just like a rookie would. I guess at this point oz may accept he needs to bring in recievers vs drafting and grooming one.