ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Opening Day 2016

dc.

The sketchy SP is beginning (emphasize) to rear its ugly head. If it, in fact, goes south well we all saw it coming, didn't we.

The middle dudes and closers are fine. Just need to hope and pray for decent SP and for these guys to step up.

In the meantime, 7-2 ain't too shabby of a start. Maybe we get things back on track tonight.

Need bats to reappear tonight after a few days off.

Lets get er done tonight in Texas !

Starting pitching of course, we all knew it. Though it's early to freak out about it; still in warm up mode even.

Last two nights I've been more disappointed in how many runs we could've had. We put 12 men, at least, on against Kelly in 5 innings. Two runs is unacceptable. Shouldn't lose 4-2 in that scenario.

Pedro Alvarez, meanwhile, Lord help me.

DC,

I hear ya. After SP, the next biggest team weakness is hitting with men in scoring position. It's been our Achilles for several years. Team continues to live or die by the HR.

Yeah, ultimately, you don't win many games scoring two or three runs. I'd be more pissed about pitching if we were losing 6-5 nightly. But 4-2 is on the offense, even if pitching could have gone deeper.

Either way, in the end, you don't win them all.

I don't like Jones in the three hole. Manny and Davis are our best hitters and need to get as many ABs as possible. They are ideal two and three hitters to get them up in the first inning with Rickards setting the table. IMO Jones should hit fifth after Trumbo.

I disagree. I think Jones is a better all around hitter than Davis, and certainly more so than Trumbo. I could put him 3 or 4 if we want to split the righties a bit more, but I want him in that zone.

I think we witnessed the Os winning formula last night. While we aren't going to see too many 9 run outbursts, the blueprint is clear: score lots of runs, trust the SP gets us 5+ innings, and let the middle relief and closers take over. This is how we were built and who we are. We're 8-2 after 10 games. Let's see where this takes us.

Patience at the plate is a factor in the O's winning formula. They are making pitchers throw a lot of pitches and wearing them out. That's a big difference from last year. It leads to more men on base and when the big blast hits it's more than a solo home run.

It's hard to remember Davis walking last year.

Not this year.

Trumbo pointed to the Davis walks as keys to the inning.

“You don’t want to leave anything [out],” he said. “There were a lot of fireworks tonight. But him going up there and being patient like he did — and there were some close pitches, too — allowed myself and a few other guys to kind of feed off that. Those are the little things that make the big differences. It’s just a testament to him being as disciplined as he is.”

I think we witnessed the Os winning formula last night. While we aren't going to see too many 9 run outbursts, the blueprint is clear: score lots of runs, trust the SP gets us 5+ innings, and let the middle relief and closers take over. This is how we were built and who we are. We're 8-2 after 10 games. Let's see where this takes us.

And who knows, if we hang around for a while maybe we make a move for a pitcher.

I'm still unsure why they got rid of Gonzalez. He wasn't great but I would have thought he had a place on this team.

And who knows, if we hang around for a while maybe we make a move for a pitcher.

I'm still unsure why they got rid of Gonzalez. He wasn't great but I would have thought he had a place on this team.

He's getting lit up in the minors

Agreed 100% . Maybe there's a SP we pick up mid season from a non contender.

6 innings good...5 runs, bad...

11 runs better...

Oh yeah, Worley (autocorrect didn't get me this time) wasn't good but at one point it didn't look like he would get three innings.

He's getting lit up in the minors

Even if the move proves to be a good one, just wondering why a team this thin in starting pitching would drop him when they did.

Oh yeah, Worley (autocorrect didn't get me this time) wasn't good but at one point it didn't look like he would get three innings.

Even if the move proves to be a good one, just wondering why a team this thin in starting pitching would drop him when they did.

If I had to guess the team didn't want another Bud Norris situation this year.

• Upvote 1

He was set to make a lot of money (I want to say $5m) and had no options. They could have designated him, but I'm sure he'd have picked free agency. Just no space for a five mil minor leaguer.

He was set to make a lot of money (I want to say $5m) and had no options. They could have designated him, but I'm sure he'd have picked free agency. Just no space for a five mil minor leaguer.

That makes sense, I had no idea he was set to make close to that.