ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Happy with this pick?

Tornado700

I really hope Stanley can be an All Pro LT but all the scouting reports seem to indicate he doesn't have that potential. The popular line of thought is that LT is a safe draft pick. It is hardly as such. The amount of LT busts in the top ten is just as bad as any ther position. Maybe more because of the false sense of security.

Can't get past two things. He reminds me of Oher, hope I am wrong.

Why did they not make the trade with Dallas, Ramsey was worth swapping picks and giving up a 2nd.....

Ts... I thought the Oher comparison as well but then found two things that give me encouragement. I saw a stat from PFF that said Stanley didn't allow a single pressure coming from the inside. On that same point, apparently he has an outstanding football IQ and wowed teams in meetings. Oher of course, had a terrible football IQ and was a sucker for the inside blitz.

• Upvote 1

love this pick. Wanted Tunsil the whole time but had no idea he carried that much baggage. Did you see the Tunsil interview after he was picked and after the Draft, holy crap that guy is a Liability. He literally says all the wrong things. Stanley graded out same as pass blocker and better run blocker and can be plugged in to LG until Monroe inevitably gets injured. Stanleys interview was pure class. We had to protect our investment. This team goes no where without Flacco upright.

Miles Jack is still there I'd love to take a flier on him;. or you want edge rusher, Look at Ogbah in round 2, he is joey bosa version 2.0.

Ts... I thought the Oher comparison as well but then found two things that give me encouragement. I saw a stat from PFF that said Stanley didn't allow a single pressure coming from the inside. On that same point, apparently he has an outstanding football IQ and wowed teams in meetings. Oher of course, had a terrible football IQ and was a sucker for the inside blitz.

Here is the issue I have with stats; subjective. I have seen a number of plays, yes they all have them, where he allowed the defender to push him into the backfield, forcing the quarterback to step up & out, rather than taking the defender behind the quarterback. He lacks power, upper body strength that may or may not come with better work outs. He is far better suited to a right tackle from what I have seen of him over the past few years.

Picking him at 6 was way too high, granted, their top choice of Ramsey was gone and their deal with Dallas couldn't be made for some reason, and their was a bit of a run on tackles, they might have missed him if they traded back...

Not disagreeing with you on strength being an issue. Certainly Oher came out with a similar profile: long, athletic, great potential as a pass blocker but not a strong run blocker. I am just trying to find positives in the pick.

Stanley's intelligence may help put himself in situations and angles that allow him to compensate for his lack of strength. And while the stats don't tell the whole story with being pushed back, it does tell you that he's making the right blocks, is in the right position, and can pick up the blitz. In comparison to Oher, who would routinely let blitzers fly free to the QB.

Another thing that worries me: at 6 you would hope to get a different caliber of player that you get at 23. Ozzie said Stanley was rated top 5 on their board this year. In 2009, Ozzie said Oher was rated in their top 15 and expected him to go 12 to Buffalo. DeCosta said something along the lines of "we know a thing or two about LT's".

Call me skeptical but having two players with such a glaring weakness in the run game rated that high on the board is either a red flag on the talent evaluators, or an indicator of a weak draft.

The draft is "weak" for true, start now & dominate left tackles.

Frankly, I was thinking the same as you re; Ozzie's comments on how they had Stanley ranked. I am just a couch jokey, but I find it impossible to believe he was the 6th best player on their board, let alone the draft.

I know they have to say things to make the players feel good, and to some extent the fans, but jeepers, we are not that gullible are we?

Off field issues aside. Looking back now at a few articles dissecting the comparisons of Tunsil and Stanley it appears that Stanley not only is a better pure pass blocker but has the durability and intelligence advantage. Tunsil gets the nod on run blocking but it is far easier to get better at run blocking than pass blocking at the NFL level. Per PFF, NFL OTs protect a 7-step drop on average 120+ times per year. Ronnie Stanley did it 35 times last year. Laremy Tunsil just 7 times. In addition Stanley was better again speed rushers because he is longer and able to get hands on the DE faster. Increased strength will assist in blocking bull rushers and his feet are quick enough that prevent the spin moves with proper coaching and experience. I'm also reading that after June 1 the cap hit on releasing Monroe would be 2 million vs 6 million prior to June. Personally, Id rather keep Monroe around at LT, start Stanley at LG this season and make the move next year.

All I know is what I saw in games over the past 3 years. I watch a ton of college ball, including every ND game.

When he faced tougher teams, strong pass rushers, he often was pushed back into the pocket, forcing the quarterback off his spot, rather than riding the rusher deeper and around the quarterback. He did well in run blocking, getting his pads low and getting to the 2nd level, blocking, locking on to the backers, safeties.

Tunsel is far more athletic and when he dis play, which was not often because of suspension for school issues, or minor nagging injuries, he did well in pass blocking, holding off bull rushers, keeping speed rushers away from the quarterback.

They all need work, none of them is great at anything, none ready to start day one on the left side. Conklin is the most run ready, he is strong at the point of attack but not great at pass blocking, slow feet.

Overall, Stanley has potenial to be a good tackle, I am just not sure that is a left tackle nor worthy of the 6th pick.

I found this to be an interesting read from a former Defensive End. Mentions of J.O. in the article and written long before any of the blockbuster trades occurred.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/3/28/11184656/2016-nfl-draft-breakdown-ronnie-stanley-notre-dame-laremy-tunsil

I have broken down that second guy at some positions by now, so at the very least I can compare those first two guys and determine which of the two I like more. In this case, Ole Miss left tackle Laremy Tunsil was the first offensive tackle that I broke down. Now that I've watched Notre Dame left tackle Ronnie Stanley, I have a frame of reference for both.

Let me just say this, I think Tunsil is definitely the better athlete. He's better out in space down field on screen plays. Tunsil is a much more powerful run blocker. And, well, he just plays meaner than Stanley on tape.

I would still take Stanley over Tunsil seven days a week and twice on Sunday.

love this pick. Wanted Tunsil the whole time but had no idea he carried that much baggage. Did you see the Tunsil interview after he was picked and after the Draft, holy crap that guy is a Liability. He literally says all the wrong things. Stanley graded out same as pass blocker and better run blocker and can be plugged in to LG until Monroe inevitably gets injured. Stanleys interview was pure class. We had to protect our investment. This team goes no where without Flacco upright.

Miles Jack is still there I'd love to take a flier on him;. or you want edge rusher, Look at Ogbah in round 2, he is joey bosa version 2.0.

Nice post. Very true. The Ravens know exactly what they are doing. Tunsil, on the other hand, goes to the worst possible place that someone with a possible drug problem and needs to stay away from bad influences- Miami. One other thing- What is the deal with Miles Jack and his knee? Teams have backed off him big time. If any team, including the Ravens, take him, they are gambling a second round pick.

Looks fine to me, despite not running the 40 I see plenty of burst and agility that clearly wouldn't be possible with a bum knee. That injury was just a meniscus not ACL and by the start of the season it will be a full year. You could potentially put him on IR to start the season and have him back 100% for the rest of the season and many years to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A09JJf7KKQQ

It isnt how he does now, it is a degenerative disease that, in his words, might need microfracture surgery.

Now, Dr Andrews, considered the best, said Jack would not need the surgery.

Even so, a degenerative disease can cause him issues with pain, swelling, healing timely.... I would still take in the 2nd if Alexander is not there, he is worth the risk.

Oh and if Preston hate the Stanley pick, I too might have to change my mind.

So in your opinion, will he become a starting left tackle?

Good question, time will tell, they thought Monroe was one, Oher was one, I thought differently.

He has potential, but nothing I have seen from him in college says he will be a long term solid left tackle.

Jaguars are not picking up Luke Joeckel's option. Former second pick in the draft supposed to be their LT for the next decade. Same with the Chiefs and Eric Fisher, Titans and Taylor Lewan... And if you want to go back to 2009 there was Eugene Monroe, Andre Smith and Michael Oher. LTs ARE NOT safe picks.

Ravens wanted pass rush but passed on Buckner. I wonder if Stanley was rated higher on their board than Buckner?