ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

RONNIE STANLEY

vmax

cs_057.jpg"So what do you have to say to the doubters Coach Kelly?"

“You don’t take a guy No. 6 if you’re just saying he has good feet,” Kelly said. “He has to have other things and that’s what separates a guy that goes in the middle of the first round to the top 10. And the separator is the character, his durability, his willingness to fight through the bumps that come with playing the toughest game, and that’s why he is where he is.”

cs_197.jpg"Anything else that you can tell us?"

“First and foremost what you have is a great competitor, a guy who loves to play, loves the game,” Kelly said. “You got a guy that just has an incredible work ethic. That’s why a team like the Ravens does its homework. You pick championship caliber character, and that’s what you got with this kid.”

cs_301.jpg"So you think he's a real winner eh..."

“He has that kind of competitive drive like a Zack Martin. He has arguably more athletic ability than Zach, and he has that kind of competitive drive,” Kelly said. “With Baltimore there is an ownership, a general manager and head coach that recognize that you have to have good players, but you have to fit the culture too. And I knew Ronnie would fit that culture in Baltimore, that championship culture.”.....http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Notre-Dame-Coach-Brian-Kelly-Ronnie-Stanley-Was-Hardest-Worker-We-Had/621cec87-fcfc-477e-a313-d13429deb3dc

Edited by vmax

I think we could've gotten stanley in the mid round. Oz could've traded back and gotten 6-4th round picks. Then the experts would rate the draft an A++.

Interesting you say that, Tennesee traded back up to eight to take Jake Conklin from MSU. Conklin is likely to be a RT in the pros, but I wonder if Tennessee would have still taken Conklin over Stanley?

I heard Conklin was "their guy", Ozzie said Stanley was rated over Tunsil on his board so who knows GMs lie. Ozzie has proven to take Olinemen in the midrounds who can produce so I thought they'd get a LT there. I just don't like the pick, Stanley just doesn't look psychically imposing. There's a video of him next to Joe and they look the same size. I like my LT's to have JO/McKinnie size. This smaller faster style is more for zone blocking which is why they drafted him IMO. I think he'll get owned by bull rushers, edge rushers he'll be ok.

Eh, he is on a beach somewhere with his head in the sand, errr umm toes in the sand....

yeah buddy the Caribbean blue water just lures me in can't believe the week is over, now it's back to semi blue waters

Edited by cravnravn

2 outta 20 years? really you want to go there.. and honestly Oher worked fine, we are the ones that fucked him up with switching him every other week

Don't forget Kyle Boller, Travis Taylor, Mark Clayton, and the two drafts where we traded down to get Sergio Kindle and Courtney Upshaw. And there's no defending Oher, he was at best a slightly above average right tackle. For a guy who was drafted to be our left tackle for Flacco's career, he was a colossal bust!

My point being, we have a good track record of first round picks, but Ozzie's performance is not immune to criticism. His drafts haven't been strong the past few years. We as fans certainly have the right to question him.

Fair or not, Stanley will always be compared to what we passed up: Tunsil and Buckner. Further, the collective careers of Stanley, Correa and Kaufusi will be compared to what we could have had with Ramsey and Jack. This draft could be the year we look back and say "Ozzie was brilliant" or could be the year where we realized Ozzie completely lost his magic.

• Upvote 1

I heard Conklin was "their guy", Ozzie said Stanley was rated over Tunsil on his board so who knows GMs lie. Ozzie has proven to take Olinemen in the midrounds who can produce so I thought they'd get a LT there. I just don't like the pick, Stanley just doesn't look psychically imposing. There's a video of him next to Joe and they look the same size. I like my LT's to have JO/McKinnie size. This smaller faster style is more for zone blocking which is why they drafted him IMO. I think he'll get owned by bull rushers, edge rushers he'll be ok.

I'm in the same boat. If I am drafting a LT top ten I want him to be strong as an ox, while still having quick feet, and a massive human like JO. Otherwise, you can draft a LT with an athletic body in the second round, who can be later developed into a solid player.

As ts said in another topic, Stanley's skill set is very similar to Oher's coming out. Hopefully Stanley's high intelligence will help him become a Pro Bowler. Something Oher obviously didn't have.

I really want to like this pick. If we had drafted Stanley in the 12-15 range I'd be happy with the pick. But considering who we passed to draft Stanley, he has huge (and maybe unfair) expectations to live up to.

I don't think there is any comparison between Oher and Stanley. They maybe have similar builds but Stanley has 2 really important things going for him. His arm length is 35 5/8" versus 33 1/2 for Oher. That is a big difference but probably the key difference is the grey matter between the ears. Oher was as dumb as a rock whereas Stanley is very intelligent.

That combo has given me higher hopes for Stanley.

Like you said cleetz maybe I'm holding him to JO standards which is impossible. The other thing that bugs me was he wasn't the uncontested best LT in the draft. I've heard nothing but good things about Stanley out of minicamp so we'll see. It just scares me with the possibility of having 2 rookies on the left side and Joe coming off an injury.

• 2 weeks later...

This pick is looking better by comparison. Ramsey tore his meniscus and is likely out until at least midseason. Not to mention it's the same knee he had microfracture surgery (!) on in HS. Then it is reported that Tunsil allegedly has a chronic ankle problem (unconfirmed). Give me the guy who will play 16+ games in a season! 😄