ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Latest on Tex

dc.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point, Ripken and Angelos aren't the problem.

The O's could spend 150m a year.... they'd still be behind the Sox and Yanks in spending... perhaps behind the Jays too... and given the Rays farm right now, we'd still be fighting for 4th or 5th in the division.

System is broke.

When the Yanks can go 4 for 4 on the four biggest names available... it's unreal. They now have 4 or 5 players who will make 20m this year. That's 100m right there. That's more than 20-25 teams in the league. On FOUR players.

At this point, Ripken and Angelos aren't the problem.

The O's could spend 150m a year.... they'd still be behind the Sox and Yanks in spending... perhaps behind the Jays too... and given the Rays farm right now, we'd still be fighting for 4th or 5th in the division.

System is broke.

When the Yanks can go 4 for 4 on the four biggest names available... it's unreal. They now have 4 or 5 players who will make 20m this year. That's 100m right there. That's more than 20-25 teams in the league. On FOUR players.

If you think this offseason is crazy, just wait until Matt Wieters (Boras client) and Nick Markakis are free agents. Seriously, I say blow it completely up. Roberts, Huff, Sherrill, trade all these guys. Keep Nick another year or two then trade him. The Billie Bean model is the only way we will be able to compete.

If you think this offseason is crazy, just wait until Matt Wieters (Boras client) and Nick Markakis are free agents. Seriously, I say blow it completely up. Roberts, Huff, Sherrill, trade all these guys. Keep Nick another year or two then trade him. The Billie Bean model is the only way we will be able to compete.

Well, that's not entirely true. We should have more success at keeping our own guys. The Markakis deal has been slow this year in part because of the economic climate... the O's don't want overinvest when money is tight, so Markakis is waiting it out. If things turn up next year, he can still sign at home.

Regardless, the SYSTEM does need some kind of fixing.

Regardless, the SYSTEM does need some kind of fixing.

Says everyone but the owners and players.

The Yankees will have nine players being paid $13 million or more in 2009. Those nine players – Teixeira, Sabathia, Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, A.J. Burnett, Jorge Posada, Mariano Rivera, Hideki Matsui and Johnny Damon – combine for $159.1 million, more than the payroll of any other team.

The system is great!

Well, plenty of owners say so... not many players...

Then again, many owners that say so are assholes like Angelos.

The owner of the Twins tried to write the Twins off as a business expense for his other business ventures... The owners of many clubs are not trying to compete... or they just don't care.

Regardless, it's broken on both ends.

• 2 weeks later...
I think it says a lot that a kid who grew up in Baltimore, whose family had season tickets in Baltimore, would cheer for . . . Mattingly. People would say, 'Why not Eddie [Murray], why not Cal [Ripken]?,' but there was just something about Don Mattingly. My dad would take me to O's games and I'd wear a Yankees hat, which wasn't too safe in Baltimore back in the '80s. But it was worth it. There's something about being a Yankee, no where you are there are Yankees fans, and I'm glad to be a Yankee today.

That just makes me want to puke! I am glad we did not sign that punk!