ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

The Brutal Truth

vmax

I agree that Flacco has not performed as we all hoped when we signed the mega deal. However, the extension made a lot of sense at the time. It was structured in a way that kept the cap hit the same over the length of the contract. No huge jumps like his first deal. Given the fact that the league cap is increasing that means that Flacco actually cap hit percentage will be less and less each year. He basically gets cheaper. And let's face it, franchise quarterbacks are ALL getting paid. Its not like Flacco is the only 20M+ guy in the NFL right now. Guys with less accomplishments are getting the same. Its the market value right now.

I don't know whats wrong with Flacco this year. I think some of it is related to his knee. Physically his knee is probably good but like most guys there's a mental aspect to recovery. If you notice he never steps up in the pocket he always gets out of the pocket. His feet are never set, he never steps into his throws.

I also think his O-line is garbage. I dont want to sound like a Flacco apologist but it's not his fault that we signed Monroe and then immediately cut him and signed Stanley. Now Stanley is hurt. We kept Yanda over KO, and Yanda is hurt. Wagner and Zuttah have both regressed from average to below average. Hurst and Urschell shouldn't be starting on the line.

I also think our playcalling is garbage. We do nothing exotic. Our offense is so bland. We have receivers who can't get open one on one and yet we do nothing to help them. We dont use motion, dont do rubs, dont do screens or pick plays. We dont work the middle of the field anymore, we dont run the ball effectively. We dont have a true slot receiver with Smith Sr out. We look like a pop warner ball team on offense.

The re-structure would have made sense if there was no doubt he was our guy until 2020. If they truly thought he was (with no doubts), they had a serious lapse in judgement. If they had any doubt, they should have ridden out this year with the $28mil hit which would have allowed them to eat up some of the guaranteed money and get on top of the deal a bit. You are correct, his original deal was set up with the 1st yr being ridiculously low, the next two being mild hits and then huge jumps the following years. The fact that they decided to gain the benefit of the first three years and then re-structure without even taking one year of a big hit was irresponsible in my eyes.

As I said before without a doubt Joe is the guy for the next few seasons. They need to go balls-out to load the oline and Wr corps with talent. Jettison all the old washed up guys (suggs and webb). What happened to Boyle (is his suspension over?) Him and Waller should be promoted over Pitta and Gillmore.

As I said before without a doubt Joe is the guy for the next few seasons. They need to go balls-out to load the oline and Wr corps with talent. Jettison all the old washed up guys (suggs and webb). What happened to Boyle (is his suspension over?) Him and Waller should be promoted over Pitta and Gillmore.

Pitta will be gone for the savings, He wont have much dead money. But it's sad you didn't even mention Maxx Wiliams after we drafted him so high. We bragged heartily about how we stole him right out from under Pittsburgh who was looking to replace Heath Miller. Williams taken in round 2 has 1 career TD. Jesse James taken in the 5th round of same draft already has 4 touchdowns. Another swing and a miss.

I'm trying to hold judgement on Maxx and Stanley. I was stating for this season since he's on IR Waller and Boyle would be available. This team has a huge injury problem. They should seriously consider reevaluating team doctors and trainers. I remember Birk brought in a guy once who specialized in stretching.

I am not saying this is the problem, just something I remember from way back. When Vince Lombardi took over the then woefull Packers, one of the first things he did was throw guys out of the training room, telling them they had to play with little hurts.

Boyle has 10 weeks on his suspension, after Sunday he has 3 weeks left Edited by cravnravn

I agree except for on Suggs. He should retire a Raven, and he is still productive at least against the run. Once he becomes a complete liability like Webb all bets are off.

But back to the oline. It really needs to be a priority. I believe we have the necessary talent everywhere else. Even though I've been bashing the hell out of Joe we all know how he plays when he doesn't anticipate pressure. Now the problem is fixing the oline is easier said than done. There is no easy fix.

other then Brady, what qb has lived up to any contract they have signed. pay pay had 6 TDs last year and 17 picks, yea I know the good ball was on the winning team that won the SB. Matty Melt? Kappadumbass? Wilson? Red Pistol? none of them have lived up to a contract they signed.

other then Brady, what qb has lived up to any contract they have signed. pay pay had 6 TDs last year and 17 picks, yea I know the good ball was on the winning team that won the SB. Matty Melt? Kappadumbass? Wilson? Red Pistol? none of them have lived up to a contract they signed.

Rodgers who btw is showing what a great Qb teamed with a good coach can do with no run game and in spite of injuries. They are lining receivers up at RB and getting 6,7 yards on short throws out of the backfield.

Kaps cap hit this year is 19million

Dalton is 15.7 million...... his is setup so after next season he'll have no signing bonus money so they can cut him with no hit ($200k workout bonus)..... a very nice setup for the team

With Joes cap numbers he basically can't be cut for the next 3 seasons (Dead money 2017 $47mil , 2018 $29mil, 2019 $16mil)

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/joe-flacco-4000/

Joe had his best year when Kubes was here. 1 year with him and now it looks like Trestman undid it all. I'm not saying Flacco is innocent of his crap play lately, but damn....do other teams face this much offensive turnover?