ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ray Lewis says Flacco gifted but not passionate

OutsideRzAcE

It must be "Throw your QB under the bus" week...

According to Dunne, Rodgers hasn't spoken to his immediate family in two years. We first heard about the schism when Rodgers' brother, Jordan, was a contestant (and eventual winner) on "The Bachelorette."

Dunne writes:

One source, who was close to Rodgers for years but is among the many who have since been cut off by Rodgers entirely, said the quarterback has not spoken to his family since December 2014. Don't feel too bad, J-Mike. Immediate family members don't even have his cellphone number. When Mom and Dad sent Christmas presents to the quarterback and his girlfriend that year, the source said, those gifts were mailed back in February. He was set to be the groomsman in the wedding of one of his closest friends, the source said, and texted the day before he couldn't attend.

He didn't attend his grandfather's funeral - the same grandfather he once called before every game.

He fired a business manager he's known since high school.

The family was told they were no longer welcome in Green Bay. If Dad wants to attend a game now, he buys tickets on StubHub or goes through another player's family.

Nowhere in Dunne's reporting is an explanation for why Rodgers has chosen this route. No one, outside Rodgers himself and perhaps his family, seems to know why this has happened.

Rodgers' former teammate, tight end Jermichael Finley, criticized Rodgers as a locker-room leader, too.

"In my opinion, he's a different guy," Finley said. "I didn't really know how he showed his leadership. He wasn't a vocal guy. He really wasn't a hands-on guy. To tell you the truth, it was all about his game and his stats in my opinion. … He was a guy that kept it all in. He kept grudges close to his chest. If you did something, he never really let it go. He always kept it close to his heart.

"I just don't think he was a natural-born leader. He wasn't put on Earth to lead."

It's unclear if Rodgers' disposition and approach to relationships has changed since his NFL MVP seasons in 2011 and 2014, so it's impossible to say whether it has affected his play on the field. The Packers certainly have more problems than just Rodgers - in fact, his level of play may not rank among the team's 10 biggest issues....http://forums.extremeravens.com/topic/19570-ray-lewis-says-flacco-gifted-but-not-passionate/

Edited by vmax

Well he's not wrong. Fans have been saying it for a while now. Cypher since the day after the SB lol.

It's not about Flacco's personality..at least not for me. I like his calm cool personality. I like that he's boring and not eccentric. I don't think he cares about enough about winning or being the best. The guy can't figure out how to set his feet or square his shoulders in year 8 and we're supposed to believe he is passionate about his craft?

I guess it just carries more weight coming from Ray.

Joe doesn't stay late or come in early , Joe doesn't care enough about winning to do that, of course he wants to win but doesn't do the extra things it takes to get the results. And why would you ask players he's playing with now if Joe Is passionate, do you really think anyone on the team right now is going to say Joe is not passionate. You don't have to be demonstrative or animated to be passionate , but it would show in his preparation , and his preparation is the bare minimum.

If you ever tried to listen you'd find that a lot of Ray's speeches were rambling nonsense so I can't fault Joe for that.

"No Weapon!'

I think that one threw me off more than any of his speeches.

Interesting video/Tweet from Ray.

https://twitter.com/raylewis/status/800710035106103296

He's like us in a way now that he can't suit up. He loves the Ravens and is frustrated with the way this team is playing.

He used to be able to do something about it. That's what made him great.

I'd like to know if he called Joe.

That's "Manning up."

Not this car phone video bs.

I am a Flacco fan. He has been more than a serviceable QB and provided the third best multi year QB play in Baltimore. Unitas and Jones before him. I believe Ray's comments were addressed to the passion of Joe, ie. not having the passion of being a student of the game. Ray and Ed spent plenty of special additional time with film and intense study of their position and that of the team to become better, eventually the best at what they do, inspiring those around them. Joe just does not have that "passion" in him to elevate his play far beyond the very good level he plays every Sunday.