ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Keep Dean Pees if you like blown leads

OutsideRzAcE

Two 4th Quarter leads two years ago in New England

Blown 4Q leads against the Giants, Raiders, Steelers this year

Near blown leads against the Browns, eagles, bengals (i.e. Allowing them to drive the length of the field before barely holding on)

Near blown 4th qtr lead in the super bowl. Harbaugh deserves one more year but not if he insists on bringing Pees back with him. This is becoming THE theme of the Harbaugh era.

Defense, Nonsense, Weakness.

Can't fool us.

We know what solid defense is.

The Ravens defense has accomplished some big things in 2016, but it is officially struggling down the stretch. It had a rough night in New England, barely held on against Philadelphia and simply couldn’t stop the Steelers Sunday when the game was on the line. “I have all the confidence in the world in our defense and it just didn’t happen,” Flacco said. The defining characteristics of this disappointing performance included a tepid pass rush (no sacks), a rushing defense that was gashed for a second straight game, allowing 5.8 yards per carry on 22 rushes, and receivers getting open for big gains in the fourth quarter. Was injured cornerback Jimmy Smith missed? No doubt. But it’s not an excuse. The Steelers played without several key targets. The defense actually played well for a long stretch after giving up an opening-drive touchdown. But once the Steelers got going, the Ravens defense didn’t really come close to making a stop, dulling the luster on what had been a fine season.........http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/The-Breakdown-Eisenbergs-Five-Thoughts-At-Pittsburgh-Steelers/4086b7ef-1f09-4916-ac10-0d8c4a12c1ef

If there is one thing I hate as a fan it's feeling impotent because the Ravens defense can't stop other teams.

Getting run over, bombed to death and helpless to stop or even slow it down is disgusting.

I saw too much of that in the final years of the Colts in Baltimore and the Ravens early years.

It's almost like "Why play when you're going to give it away?"

And what Ravens fan wants to watch that?

Edited by vmax

You can mask deficiencies with scheme. Unless you're dean pees. I'm tired of this argument that he doesn't have great players. His job is to elevate the talent he has. We have better Dbs than a lot of teams. Pittsburgh is starting two rookies. The Giants aren't any better. Oakland? Houston? NE? Who has a backfield full of great Dbs anymore aside from maybe Seattle.

OK...here's the acid test:

Juszczyk has an incredible TD run. He goes all out and scores. Great play. Almost epic except that Browns play topped that.

I'm willing to bet that there is not one poster here who didn't look at the clock and know that there was too much time left, (a paltry 78 seconds, an eternity with this D) and that it would take a miracle for the Ravens defense to keep Pittsburgh out of the end zone. I was 100% certain that Pittsburgh would at least force over time.

OK...here's the acid test:

Juszczyk has an incredible TD run. He goes all out and scores. Great play. Almost epic except that Browns play topped that.

I'm willing to bet that there is not one poster here who didn't look at the clock and know that there was too much time left, (a paltry 78 seconds, an eternity with this D) and that it would take a miracle for the Ravens defense to keep Pittsburgh out of the end zone. I was 100% certain that Pittsburgh would at least force over time.

Yes and if we can all see it why can't the FO? Pees should have been gone last year. It was a no brainer. I pray Harbs feels enough pressure to realize he doesn't want what will likely be his last chance for success in Baltimore to ride on Pees fixing something he hasn't been able to fix since he's been here.

I agree with all of the above except one thing: The Ravens lack a bona fide superstar at any position offense or defense. Oz hasn't clicked on the top draft choices lately and it shows. We have a bunch of average players, starting with the QB who now is locked into a long term expensive contract---one that is much higher than he deserves though I know he had us over a barrel when he got it.

Look around, we don't have any Antonio Browns, LeVeon Bell's, Ben Rothlesburgers or Tom Brady's. There just isn't any guy on offense or defense that instills fear for opposing teams.

I don't know if Oz has lost his touch or that our front office has been drained of too many personnel over the years, but something has to improve here and quickly.

Yep. And we sure could use on either or both sides. I'd like to see us move up and draft Jabril Peppers. I think he's got superstar written all over him. Put him back their at safety with Weddlle.

I would seriously move up and get this guy. He reminds of a young Charles Woodson but more athletic and versatile.

We need a playmaker like this on the D.

Yep. And we sure could use on either or both sides. I'd like to see us move up and draft Jabril Peppers. I think he's got superstar written all over him. Put him back their at safety with Weddlle.

I would seriously move up and get this guy. He reminds of a young Charles Woodson but more athletic and versatile.

We need a playmaker like this on the D.

I agree with all of the above except one thing: The Ravens lack a bona fide superstar at any position offense or defense. Oz hasn't clicked on the top draft choices lately and it shows. We have a bunch of average players, starting with the QB who now is locked into a long term expensive contract---one that is much higher than he deserves though I know he had us over a barrel when he got it.

Look around, we don't have any Antonio Browns, LeVeon Bell's, Ben Rothlesburgers or Tom Brady's. There just isn't any guy on offense or defense that instills fear for opposing teams.

I don't know if Oz has lost his touch or that our front office has been drained of too many personnel over the years, but something has to improve here and quickly.

It is like Hou. They gave Brock a big time deal for a small sample set. Joe used the short outlier to do the same thing. As a rule a team has to demand long term production to give big deals.

And we need better coaching for our mid-draft picks. Wasn't Antonio Brown drafted in the 4th round or thereabouts?

Even worse. He was a 6th round.

From an outside perspective - I get the frustration, trust me. Steelers have had the same problems for years. Starting in the last couple games of the 2008 season, our defense started giving up one or two TDs in the fourth quarter almost like clockwork. I bring that up because of the parallels - I'm wondering why the Ravens are going through similar issues to the Steelers especially since both teams have historically had a philosophy of run first, stop the run, smashmouth football philosophy, both aged out a core of vets over the last 3-4 years including a safety each that should both be 1st ballot HOFers, and have won SBs in the last 5 years..

So, part of it may be coaching, but I doubt you can put the majority of the weight of error there (as much as we would like to). The game has changed in the last seven years to tremendously favor a passing attack, and refs seem to call 4th quarter passing penalties tighter than any other time. Seems to me the problem then lies, for both teams, in (1) the struggle to rebuild a new defense since the old one aged out, (2) having to address a new reality in the NFL concerning passing, and (3) the fans' wrong perception of reality in today's NFL.

What do I mean by that last one? Take a look at the 4th quarter comeback leaders in the NFL since 1960. If you include Peyton Manning, then 5 of the top 11 QBs are still active in the NFL for career 4th quarter comebacks. An even more telling statistic is 43 4th quarter come-from-behind victories this year in the NFL, up from 31 last year. On average, that's 1 out of every 6 games sees a come-from behind victory, or 3 games per season per team (again, on average). As much as I hate it, the new reality just may be 4th quarter comebacks.

he is the only coach i would keep. get a good CB when signing starts and draft one.

How about scoring touchdowns instead on 50 yard 3 pointers?

How about scoring your own points in the 4th?

Beating the dead horse again.

Raiders punt team coming on the field but wait there was a flag on the play. Let's give Carr another chance.

You are dead last last scoring TDs in the red zone but lets go for it on 4th down in the red zone. Here you go Washington, it is yours.

How can you let you team get beat by the Jets?