Photo

Which Ravens' Free Agents Should We Keep?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,967 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:27 PM

If they give him the deal now for 20% more and he is hurt next yr they are on the hook for 20% more.  It is a really stupid way of doing business.

k2-_2564f5e3-aa08-456b-81e9-b7cffd9b394d

Fako, Joe Fako I am the Pick Machine!!!

#22 OutsideRzAcE

OutsideRzAcE

The Franchise

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:02 AM

With what cap space?  I said last  yr to sign him.  He would have been about 20% cheeper then.

The player has to want to sign also. What makes you think he would have signed last year when he was only one year away from being able to test free agency?
Posted Image

#23 vmax

vmax

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,428 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:17 AM

1. Pick up LB C.J. Mosley's fifth-year option. This one's a breeze.

2. Free up cap space. As perennially seems to be the case, the Ravens need a little breathing room to operate this offseason. They currently have $15.2 million in cap space, but we can create some more pretty easily. Baltimore could move on from 33-year-old linebacker Elvis Dumervil (whose release would free $6 million), 30-year-old wideout Mike Wallace ($5.8 million), 30-year-old cornerback Kyle Arrington ($2.1 million) and 36-year-old tight end Benjamin Watson ($3 million), the latter of whom would leave without ever suiting up for the team after he tore his Achilles in August. That's another $16.9 million in room.

3. Re-sign NT Brandon Williams. The Ravens have one of the weirder roster constructions in football. Their lineup consists of players on rookie deals and veterans who were signed away from other teams in free agency, with precious little in the middle. They really have seemed to stop retaining the young talent they develop, even when those players are extremely talented. They have, by my count, just three players signed on "second contracts," which would be first extensions after rookie deals: Jimmy Smith, Dennis Pitta and Lardarius Webb.........http://www.espn.com/...7-nfl-offseason

#24 RavenMad

RavenMad

Veteran

• PipPipPip
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:55 AM

That 3rd point hurts us a lot. We seem to spend time on draft picks, start to see them develop in the last year of their rookie deal and then they leave in free agency. We have got to do a better job evaluating these guys earlier and either signing them to long term deals sooner (and hopefully slightly cheaper).

2narark.jpg

#25 varaven45

varaven45

Veteran

• PipPipPip
  • 3,997 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:01 PM

The "Raven Way", whatever that is, seems to have disappeared. Somehow how this Org needs to get its collective arse together and rekindle a winning formula for the next decade. Not sure the current cast and crew can figure it out but someone in the FO needs to get game and now. The screwing around since before the last SB win needs to go and a fresh, new approach to winning.

#26 oldno82

oldno82

Veteran

• PipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:16 PM

That 3rd point hurts us a lot. We seem to spend time on draft picks, start to see them develop in the last year of their rookie deal and then they leave in free agency. We have got to do a better job evaluating these guys earlier and either signing them to long term deals sooner (and hopefully slightly cheaper).

I think we know who the good ones are on rookie contracts after 2 yrs. Those guys are the ones the FO needs to focus on signing earlier.

#27 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,967 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:09 PM

The player has to want to sign also. What makes you think he would have signed last year when he was only one year away from being able to test free agency?

NFL players seem to be risk adverse a yr away from FA.  I think he signs.

k2-_2564f5e3-aa08-456b-81e9-b7cffd9b394d

Fako, Joe Fako I am the Pick Machine!!!

#28 tsylvester

tsylvester

Veteran

• PipPipPip
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:13 PM

The more I think about it the more I think it best fo let the big man walk. Defensive line is always a guarantee the Ravens find top quality players, drafted or undrafted.

I would let Mosely walk too, though I know they won't, ...

Wallace they have to keep, at least for one more season. The revolving door at wide out has to stop if you want aome continuity in the passing game.

Doom and Suggs should go, they are both liabilities late in games and in the season.

Watson never should have been signed so letting him go is a no brainer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users