ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Simms Says Ravens are a Sleeping Giant

vmax

I'm with him. :gorave:

There is a lot to like and pay attention to that is brewing under the surface of this developing 2017 Ravens team.

This team has speed and playmakers. It has young unrecognized future stars.

They will be very competitive this year.

In a July 21 column for Bleacher Report, Simms wrote that the Ravens are among the top eight teams with the best chance to win the Lombardi Trophy. And while mounting injuries are a concern (10 players missed practice Aug. 8), the Ravens addressed Simms' largest worry by adding speed to the secondary.

"I always said it, they're one of the slowest teams in football; that was really their big issue," Simms said on Glenn Clark Radio Aug. 2. "When they had to play teams that had speed in skill positions, they were outmatched in a lot of those cases."

Last season, Ravens defensive coordinator Dean Pees had to avoid running man-coverage schemes against the quickest offenses, but the Ravens still finished as a top 10 defense. Baltimore addressed that limitation by adding first-round draft pick Marlon Humphrey and free agents Brandon Carr and Tony Jefferson.

"And if they can keep Jimmy Smith healthy," Simms said, "that is a secondary that can match up and give the New England Patriots and the Pittsburgh Steelers and the other elite teams in the AFC a legit problem." "It's the Baltimore Ravens, it's John Harbaugh," Simms said. "They're tough always. They've been one of the few teams that's been able to go up to New England and beat them up there. … And I still look at them, even with these injuries, as kind of a sleeping giant in the NFL."....http://www.pressboxonline.com/2017/08/09/nfl-analyst-chris-simms-ravens-are-a-sleeping-giant

anyone can talk the talk all they want, let us see it on the field.

My biggest worry about this team won't be answered till 3rd or 4th game of the season.

Anyone is better then Jeremy Zuttah right.

Hey I didn't say anything about them being a playoff team last season but the head coach screwed it up.

anyone can talk the talk all they want, let us see it on the field.

My biggest worry about this team won't be answered till 3rd or 4th game of the season.

Anyone is better then Jeremy Zuttah right.

Hey I didn't say anything about them being a playoff team last season but the head coach screwed it up.

Isn't that every yr?

Did I not say the OL was a problem months ago? It seems like the media is just now seeming to realize that it is an important part of a football team

Everybody here has been posting concerns about the O line and the media has too. Since last year.

No you can stop with that revisionist history. I was talking about the OL well before the draft. Before FA started and it was obvious Wagner was gone I was taking about it. I do not believe anyone else was seeing it as a concern then. There was a lot of ASSupmtions about Wagner being brought back and some FA center.

Everybody here has been posting concerns about the O line and the media has too. Since last year.

been worried about the line since JO hurt his toe

Even though it was just the first preseason game, the O Line didn't look bad.

Have an up and coming LT, there is a HOF playing RG, RT Austin Howard has had playing time.

The inside guys did a good job. The line played fine in the first preseason game and they didn't have all the guys in there.

Now who do I talk to about giving RB Taquan Mizzell time with the first team?

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2017/8/16/16151908/add-pro-football-focus-to-the-list-of-baltimore-ravens-doubters-flacco-suggs-smith-humphrey-bowser

Renner - “[The Ravens] are a fairly large regression candidate ... could drop well below .500. Just on paper, they shouldn’t be better than someone like the Jaguars. They just don’t have as much talent.”

Monson - “Don’t they always win a little bit more than they should though? Last year they probably did overachieve.”Palazzolo - “Here is the issue ... playmakers can trump the offensive line in today’s NFL. When I look at the Ravens, don't see consistent playmakers there. And their corners ... Can Jimmy Smith stay healthy? Will they get something out of Marlon Humphrey? What will Brandon Carr be like as a free agent? They might be weak at the wrong spots, so it doesn’t matter if they have a few pieces upfront.”Monson - “They are definitely not great in any one area. When you look across the roster, there is not a clear strength in any of those units, except arguably the best safety tandem in the NFL. Equally, they are not terrible in any one area either. [The Ravens] are the definition of an average side, almost across the board. They went .500 last year. Given their coaching experience, they are in that ballpark again.”

https://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2017-baltimore-ravens-1797932196

How about you find a decent training staff so that you’re not in the top three of Injured Reserve every year instead?

Joe Flacco, aka the world’s finest Adam Levine Replacement Android. Flacco once bought five massage chairs and then got rid of them when he realized that he didn’t like massage chairs, and that he is only one person. He’s an idiot. Every year we get away from that Super Bowl victory, the more inexplicable his playoff success becomes. He must have taken the Limitless drug that winter or something.

Flacco, as of this writing, is still out with a disc injury in his back. The Ravens don’t think the injury is serious and expect him back for the opener but, as any 40-year-old man can tell you, EVERY disc injury is serious. That shit doesn’t just go away, my friends. The uncertainty around Flacco means that he still could miss real playing time at some point, which means the team could probably use some reinforcements at the position, right?

Dude is dropping bombs. HE is way more harsh than I am but he makes some good points.