ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Biting the bullet

varaven45

Its not happening now but it will later. When ? Beats me but.....

We had our last run in 2013; downhill since. No offense, makeshift OL, 0 running attack, etc....

Go back to 2008 formula - new head coach/ OC, draft a new QB - 2018 prototype QB - franchise RB - like Saquon Barkley.

We've had 5 years to fix it. Time to get it right.

Time for Oz to step down. He's had a helluva run - 2 SBs - great teams. Need a fresh approach, better offensive minds, in touch with today's players. How about drafting ONE playmaker on offense or defense?

Start now. Bite the bullet. The window is opening again. New England is trending downward - Brady is in the league 1-2 years max. Ben's 1-2 yrs max from being done, too.

Start it up in 2018, find the right OC/Coach, fix QB problem by drafting Joes replacement and give him comp in 2018; replace him 2019.

Do this and get ready to compete by 2020. Time to build this team for a championship; not to strive for the playoffs at a 9-7 record.

Don't do this, watch the team hang around .500 for eternity.

I'm tired of watching barely "good enough to lose" games and perennial .500 play since 2013.

Now you are talking my language VA, welcome to the dark side.

Barkley is a real nice back but nope, first round backs are a waste, you only have them for maybe 4-5 years and that is if they stay healthy. There is a reason he is a "freak" for being able to squat & dead lift what he does and run like he can; the legs, knees cannot gold up to that preasure. It is a matter of time till his acl, mcl, etc give out...

I was hoping Mahomes would drop to the Ravens in the 2nd round, he needed grooming and would be a perfect replacement when he is ready. But KC beat everyone to him.

I expect another top 10 pick in 2018, maybe top five. Too early for a qb to sit for a year or two with the help this team needs.

I would look for a good one later in the 2nd or 3rd.

This team needs a true pla maker on offense, a ready made wide out with courage and consistant routes & hands. Yes, this will be only the 2nd time I have said these words: look to Bama. Calvin Ridley is the type of receiver tbis team needs; they missed out on the last one, the only other Bama player I wanted this team to draft... Easy top 10 pick, if he comes out and I think he will.

Rhe defensive line is set, good depth, talented depth; good for Ozzie.. So hopefully they stay away from there in the first 3 rounds.

But they need middle backers, badly..

Offensive line obviously, a center, preferably. 2nd, 3rd round.

Get this team Jim Bob Cooter; a two fer, let him set up the staff..let Eric Decosta take over, get a new training staff this time and especially a new offensive line coach...

I've looked at the cap and we are stuck with what we've got for another year. There is just not enough money to do a purge this year. Now next year everyone is fair game. Joe's cap hit from being cut is manageable and some big contracts will end.

Blow it all up then. I'm not sure it would be fair on a new coach to lump him with this roster plus any rookies drafted. Free agency will be a no go. Just no money available. And we keep making things worse with all these restructures we are doing!

It's a really bleak outlook. The question is do we let Ozzie rebuild or usher him into retirement now. This latest rebuild has been a disaster. Do we trust him with another year or move on now. Give the new GM a head start with the next draft before the main rebuild starts in 2018?

One thing I want to see changed is the way we draft and resign O-Linemen. We have spent good draft picks only to let our guys walk after 4 or 5 years. Granted those guys probably got overpaid but that's free agency for you. We need to draft them, play them and get them resigned in 3 before they have a chance to get overpaid.

The other thing I want us to do is draft a new WR in the first 3 rounds for the next 5 years. Surely we will hit on 2 or 3 in that period. Our record has been poor at best but maybe a new GM can change the way we draft/scout WRs.

With the way the cap is I'm not convinced we take a QB early next draft unless a can't miss prospect is there. I'd rather draft O-Linemen this draft and have the protection there with a year under their belt for a rookie in 2019 under a new coaching staff.

Agree on the RB and the total rebuild. It is long time coming. This can be fixed but it will take time and new blood to pull it off. Again biting the bullet is the right term. It is like getting rid of cancer. Cut out the tumors and do the radiation to come out on the other side healthy.

I've looked at the cap and we are stuck with what we've got for another year. There is just not enough money to do a purge this year. Now next year everyone is fair game. Joe's cap hit from being cut is manageable and some big contracts will end.

Blow it all up then. I'm not sure it would be fair on a new coach to lump him with this roster plus any rookies drafted. Free agency will be a no go. Just no money available. And we keep making things worse with all these restructures we are doing!

It's a really bleak outlook. The question is do we let Ozzie rebuild or usher him into retirement now. This latest rebuild has been a disaster. Do we trust him with another year or move on now. Give the new GM a head start with the next draft before the main rebuild starts in 2018?

One thing I want to see changed is the way we draft and resign O-Linemen. We have spent good draft picks only to let our guys walk after 4 or 5 years. Granted those guys probably got overpaid but that's free agency for you. We need to draft them, play them and get them resigned in 3 before they have a chance to get overpaid.

The other thing I want us to do is draft a new WR in the first 3 rounds for the next 5 years. Surely we will hit on 2 or 3 in that period. Our record has been poor at best but maybe a new GM can change the way we draft/scout WRs.

With the way the cap is I'm not convinced we take a QB early next draft unless a can't miss prospect is there. I'd rather draft O-Linemen this draft and have the protection there with a year under their belt for a rookie in 2019 under a new coaching staff.

There is no trust in Ozzie or Harbs. You bring in new blood who understand it is a rebuild and it is time to teach. The team also need to do what NE does. Trade guys who you are to going to keep to get picks. Always bring in young guys who are hungry and have something to prove. Also stop paying guys who have not done it. This paying for what you expect bs has to stop.

They can only get about 7-8 players a year through the draft. They'd have to hit big on all of them for 2-3 years to begin to turn any kind of corner. Not good odds for any GM.

A major CAP purge means no money for free agency for years.

They need veteran leadership too.

Now.....they can identify a key core of talent and build around that.

It wouldn't be this bad, but the huge amount of injuries that the Ravens have experienced is something no team can withstand for long.

They have $19 mil tied up on the injured reserve list and $19 in dead money.

How do you recover quickly from that?

Yes the situation is bad.

In 1996 Art could not afford a practice squad. By 2000 they won a Super Bowl.

Amazing turn around and Ozzie was the architect.

And he purged that roster and built a new team and won another SB.

All during the age of Parity.

Be careful what you wish for. There's high points and low points for everything. We're in a low.

Who can lead the Ravens out of this the quickest and most effectively?

If the Biscuit is smart, he should secure a team - GM, HC et al - who have their collective fingers on the pulse of todays game and players - but also a vision for the future.

Part of the problem - which was been discussed here ad nauseam - is how the game and players have seemingly passed by Ozzie and Co. No question that Ozzie was a great orchestrator

and architect of our 2 SB teams - including drafting the JOs, Rays, Cmacs and Reeds of the 90s and 2000s. And for that, we are damn lucky to have witnessed those great teams including the 2000 team

which sported the best defense I've ever seen. Unfortunately, there are no more Rays and JOs from the last few decades. And the Bama players- while dominant at the collegiate level -

aren't necessarily NFL game changers - sans Julio Jones.

The point - whoever and when ever Biscuit selects, the next FO - GM/HC/OCs - needs to establish a newer, different culture of winning and success. The next regime needs to be adept at identifying/finding

talented professionals for the todays (and even tomorrow's) game. Its a rapidly evolving game and a team/culture is needed to find, train, groom and grow these future players into a long term winning program.

Central to this is having the right FO and HC who together will identify and locate the right franchise QB - a 2020-2030 prototype NFL athlete who can successfully lead this team for a decade or more.

These are huge, but necessary, challenges if our team is to succeed. It may take a few years, maybe more, but I believe this owner can meet the challenges and re-invent this organization with a newer, long tem

winning culture. But it needs to start; the sooner the better.

It's necessary. It will be painful to watch and be patient. Some will stop coming to the games as happened with the late 70s early 80s Colts. Biscuit will need a strong stomach.

But it has to be done.

We watched it in 2002, 2003, a gitted team, because of salary and the league mandate to donate players to the new teams added to the league. Very shrewd move bg Ozzie to get the cap relief and not face dead money.

We watches Billick take the youngest team in NFL history, starters, and still have an exciting season or two.

So we can watch it again, sadly with out the new team relief. Take the dead money as much as you can, but build the team

As they currently sit they are still one of the oldest teams in the league. So dump the ols fogies, they have a good, young talenr pool, mostly on defense, granted, but build off of it.

Yanda will be Yanda, Stanley may yet turn out. Two guys with great potential on the IR, are young, so there is hope for the line if they get the right line coach.

With proper time in the pocket Flacco, healthy from his knee & back, has shwon he can make the offense go.

They have some decent backs, Collins is running like he did in college if he can only stop the fumbling.

So they are not that far off, with the right coaching, play designs, play calling and decision making...

• 2 weeks later...

https://ebonybird.com/2017/10/17/baltimore-ravens-2-problems-that-could-have-been-avoided/

Baltimore Ravens: 2 problems that could have been avoided

Having No Weapons:

The Baltimore Ravens spent five of their seven draft picks on defense. They drafted two offensive linemen on the third day of the draft and one of them had a season ending injury. In other words, the Ravens did not help the offense at all in the 2017 NFL Draft. The Ravens signed Jeremy Maclin late in the offseason, but that just kind of fell into place. It’s not like the Ravens went out of their way to add weapons. Even with Maclin in the fold, this team is pedestrian at the wide receiver position. When Maclin missed the Bears game with a concussion, it was a death sentence to their passing attack. Without Maclin, Mike Wallace was the only competent receiver on the field.

Seriously, four straight draft picks for the defense?

O.J. Howard was there in the first round and the Ravens took a cornerback. I love Marlon Humphrey and I was okay with the pick. However, you figured after passing on a top tight end prospect, that the Ravens would go offense in the second round. They didn’t. Newsome took a cornerback, two outside linebackers and a defensive end. To top it off, he used the last pick on Chuck Clark. They drafted a safety they had no need for instead of taking a flyer on a wide receiver.

The Ravens had JuJu Smith-Schuster fall right into their lap in the second round of the draft. The Ravens chose Tyus Bowser. The Pittsburgh Steelers drafted Smith-Schuster later in the second round. The USC receiver would have been an exciting new piece of the offense. Instead the Ravens gave the defense even more help. Smith-Schuster has 15 receptions for 122 yards and two touchdowns on an offense that has a plethora of options in the passing game. Just imagine what Smith-Schuster could do for the Ravens. I know one thing, his route running ability would give Joe Flacco one receiver who could actually get open.

Give the offense something…anything:

The Ravens ignored the wide receiver position all the way through the draft. They knew they had a problem. Breshad Perriman showed hope during the second half of the 2016 season, but the Ravens expected too big of a leap from him. Perriman didn’t take that leap. In fact he has gone backwards. The Ravens answer to the passing game was an injury prone Danny Woodhead and Maclin. Woodhead would have been a big factor as a receiving running back, if he hadn’t gotten hurt on the first drive of the season. The Ravens had no plan. They haven’t invested in the offense for years. This offseason counts as a major case of neglect.

Alex Collins has been the most explosive play-maker on the team. He got promoted from the practice squad. The Ravens had all but given up on Javorius Allen before this season, now he’s their most leaned on back. When Kenneth Dixon went down, the Ravens needed to address the problem. As you can see, that’s not on the menu for the purple and black.