ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Marty keeps his job

vmax

Hard to believe but it's true.

Here's the logic....

"The bottom line is we improved tremendously and we faced a great deal of adversity on offense," Harbaugh said in his season-ending press conference. "I'm not going to stand and make excuses but there were a lot of tough situations that we faced on offense. But, at the end, over the last half of the season, we're the second highest scoring team in the league. That's not something we take lightly."

Baltimore ranked No. 9 in scoring (24.7 points per game) after getting hot in the second half of the season. The Ravens averaged an AFC-best 29.4 points since Week 8. Only the Los Angeles Rams (29.5) put up more points than Baltimore during that stretch.

This came after the Ravens lost three starters -- tight end Dennis Pitta, Pro Bowl right guard Marshal Yanda and left guard Alex Lewis -- two weeks into the regular season. Quarterback Joe Flacco was also sidelined in training camp and the entire preseason because of a lower back injury.

"I understand what kind of an offense we're capable of building," Harbaugh said. "I believe in these coaches and I understand the job they did this year because I see it close up. I think our offense make a heck of a lot of progress especially considering the adversity we faced and the challenges that we were up again this year."...http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21959192/marty-mornhinweg-returning-baltimore-ravens-offensive-coordinator

And they might lose Greg Roman who made such a huge difference in the running game and forcedMarty to not throw 50 times a game.

Roman can go anywhere, possibly as an offensive coordinator, after completing his one-year contract with Baltimore. He made a major impact in his first season with the Ravens, who went from No. 28 to No. 11 in the NFL in rushing.....

Baltimore, which is hoping to keep Roman, improved by 24.6 rushing yards per game this season, which is surprising considering the Ravens lost both starting guards (Marshal Yanda and Alex Lewis) to season-ending injuries and last year's starting running back Terrance West was injured midway through the season.

But the Ravens' running game was one of the most consistent parts of the team this season. Roman mixed up the running schemes for each game...http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/42350/ravens-might-lose-greg-roman-after-he-turned-around-running-game

Well, it's obvious that this franchise is fatally f---ed up and is not open to the changes it needs to make in both coaching and the front office in order to become one of the NFL's better teams. Instead, I foresee a long declining period of mediocrity with falling attendance, and interest, followed by Bisciotti selling rather than fixing the team.

What a downer...

Don't bother to factor in the bad defenses they faced when the offense "improved".

I understand wanting to not have to have another offensive coordinator for Joe & the offense to adjust to, five is enough... Nonetheless, the offense was bad even with the scoring improvement; look no further than the lack of touchdowns when starting drives from their own 25 or less...

The lack of scoring touchdowns given the number of turnovers the defense created. Using Pita as an injury example, as if they truly depended on him after 2 hip surgeries! If they truly did, this coaching staff is more screwed up than we thought.

I'm sick of Harbaugh's platitudes like this one (which he said today) too...

Harbaugh said. “And I’m excited about that going into next year.” He's always excited and says things will be great. Unfortunately, I think we just saw a season that is now 'normal' for the Ravens.

What he should be saying is that there's a lot of hard work ahead and changes are coming.

Well, it's obvious that this franchise is fatally f---ed up and is not open to the changes it needs to make in both coaching and the front office in order to become one of the NFL's better teams. Instead, I foresee a long declining period of mediocrity with falling attendance, and interest, followed by Bisciotti selling rather than fixing the team.

What a downer...

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

It is so obvious that It is more important to have fiends around to Harbs than winning. It is is obvious that it is more important too have a firmed around than winning to Biscotti.

nerd.jpg"What do you think Mike?"

“The bottom line is we improved tremendously,” Harbaugh said, referring to the second half of the season compared with the first. “The creativity that I saw and the ways we schemed guys open, schemed the run game, schemed the pass game, schemed plays to be created, I was happy with that.”... :sing: ...

Oh, some days you don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

The Ravens had a better passing game in the second half of the season because they played teams such as the Detroit Lions, Cleveland, Indianapolis Colts and Green Bay Packers, who had some of the worst secondaries in the NFL. In fact, the Ravens played the third-worst schedule in the league and beat only one team with a winning record. This was a great opportunity for them to make the playoffs.

And they failed...http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-mike-preston-ravens-tone-deaf-0105-story.html

This is really a great article by Preston.

He nails it.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-mike-preston-ravens-tone-deaf-0105-story.html

Great article by Preston. Maybe Bisciotti will read it. Then again, it probably wouldn't make any difference. I think he believes listening to the fan base is a waste of his time.

By the way---WHEN IS THE GREAT POST-SEASON PRESS CONFERENCE with B., Newsome, Cass, and Harbaugh? I'll watch it if just for laughs.

This was my experience this year....

The Ravens are tone-deaf.

They didn’t hear what the fans were saying or understand their anger. People weren’t showing up just because of the players kneeling for the national anthem earlier in the season, but mainly because of the poor quality of play most Sunday afternoons......They weren’t entertained. It wasn’t just this year but for the past couple of seasons. The Ravens haven’t been to the NFL playoffs for three straight years and four of the past five. That should lead to some changes being made, but the Ravens will keep the status quo......http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-mike-preston-ravens-tone-deaf-0105-story.html

He should have added that we were really let down.

Thanx Grub. Odd move, he has little experience coaching quarterbacks, save a few years with Andy Reid mostly a wide receivers coach. Ah nepotism, gotta love it, one day it has to pay off, right?

Maybe we can get Jim Harbaugh to hire his brother away from the Ravens??

Mornhinweg is part of the problem but after reading this he does deserve a little slack....

Baltimore ranked last in the NFL with 37 plays of 20 or more yards and five touchdowns of 20-plus yards last season. Asked if the Ravens need to add more offensive playmakers, coach John Harbaugh said, "Absolutely."

"I do not think it is any secret that we need to add playmakers to the mix," Harbaugh said.

Joe Flacco wasn't on top of his game for most of the season but received little help from his supporting cast. His top wide receivers in 2017 were Mike Wallace, who has one 1,000-yard season over the past six years; Jeremy Maclin, who was cut in June after one of the worst seasons of his career; and Breshad Perriman, who is looking like the biggest first-round bust in team history.

Flacco's top target at tight end was Benjamin Watson, a 37-year-old coming off an Achilles injury, and his best running back was Alex Collins, who spent training camp and the preseason with the Seattle Seahawks.

"I think if anyone looks at the needs on our team, that's where we're going to be looking to fill our roster," Harbaugh said. "I'm not giving away any secret there. Everybody in the league knows that. We have to do that."......http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/42421/john-harbaugh-no-secret-that-ravens-need-to-add-offensive-playmakers

Really, that is one weak cast of characters. Throw in what happened to the O line and Joe's back and that's how Marty kept his job.

Roman, as Assistant HC, now out ranks Marty.

Edited by vmax

Good for Roman.

The first 3 things that come to mind when I think of Marty are: 1) get more yardage from checkdowns, 2) stop with the stupid read option plays, 3) Find a way to get the receivers to receive the pass at the 1st down marker on 3rd down. Oh, and fix the screen plays.

Certainly a lack of playmakers on the team. I blame Ozzie. He's done very little drafting any offensive playmakers, Hard to believe he is a Hall of Fame TE and has allowed that to happen. Crappy drafts, mediocre FA signings and no cap money every freaking year (Thanks Joe) have killed the offense.

"Thanks Joe"

Stop it with that. Tell you'd say no to that...you played the game/playoff of a lifetime and your boss says here ya go! Thanks! It's annoying, yes, but tell me you wouldn't say no.

(Sorry, I got laid off in December and I'm a bit salty today. )

I don't blame him for the initial contract just his lack of a desire to renegotiate it after years of mediocre play. He'll always be a rich man as he got 60 million in guaranteed money the first time.

But, really sorry to hear about your layoff. Hope your situation changes soon.

He's going to get paid, like you said, regardless. Has anyone ever taken a lesser amount?

I'm excited he is getting a QB coach with a good history.

Oh and thanks. It sucks, but I hope to move on to better things.