ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

This explains some of the mediocrity

vmax

Jeff writes a very good article here....

I’ve said and written several times that the most under-discussed factor in the Ravens’ falling into the throes of mediocrity — they are 40-40 in the regular season since their Super Bowl victory — is how many quality talent evaluators they’ve lost in recent years. The trend started before the Super Bowl as teams would come every offseason and look to pluck from one of the more well-respected front offices in the NFL. However, the departures have seemingly taken a toll and could go a long way in explaining why the Ravens haven’t drafted as well lately under general manager Ozzie Newsome. While Eagles executive vice president of football operations Howie Roseman deservedly gets most of the credit for building one of the league’s deepest rosters, his staff includes former Ravens scouts Joe Douglas, the Eagles’ vice president of player personnel; Andy Weidl, the assistant director of player personnel; Ian Cunningham, the director of college scouting; and T.J. McCreight, a player personnel executive...The Eagles’ ascent this season provides a reminder of how many good scouts the Ravens have lost....http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-eagles-ravens-scouts-20180122-story.html

He goes on to point out the accomplishments of these scouts with the Ravens and now Philly.

Philly has been mediocre for years. Connect the dots.

Now...the Ravens did get even a little bit. They got Harbaugh.

WSsg8BT.jpg

If they had the knowledge to build the staff once I wonder why they didn't keep it up. So maybe they either ran things differently before or were just plain lucky to have such staff talent. But it sure does look like they're hurting a lot lately. Maybe Oz has his lost his pizazz and should retire. And maybe Da Costa isn't as good as we're told he is.

It's hard to figure. When the Ravens have been drafting late, because they were successful in making the playoffs, the talent pool gets watered down by their pick.

When they have been drafting mid round, because they have been average or below....they didn't make any splash's. And they should have.

So it's got to be talent evaluation process, the evaluators and who makes the final decision.

I'd say that's broke.

Fix it for the fans please! :gorave:

Here's a dismal stat....

The latest statistic that shows just how difficult of a time the Ravens had getting big plays in 2017: According to the statistical site Inside Edge NFL, the Ravens got a first down when they needed 10 yards or more on just nine of 110 opportunities. That’s just over 8 percent. Only the Green Bay Packers, New York Giants and Denver Broncos were worse.....http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-ravens-news-notes-first-round-20180123-story.html

That involves everybody. Players and coaches.

GM and scouts for lack of talent.

All of us have agonized for years that when it's 3rd and 7, they run 5 yard routes.

Bench anybody who doesn't run to the sticks.

BURN THOSE PLAYS!!!!

FORBID THEM!!!!

No doubt it is evaluation. Honestly I don't know if the scouts are doing their due diligence. Back in the day they were known for getting a whole background on guys. They knew all the bad stuff before the draft. For a long while that seems to have stopped. How could they have not k now Kindle was a drunk? That draft was almost 10 yrs ago.

When was the last time they hit on a 2nd round pick?

Sure, they hit on later rounds, fill in players, they are average on first round players, everyone looks at Ray, JO, Ed, Suggs, Heap,but who else have they really hit on?

Mosley is avaerage at best, they reach on players like Troy Smith, gamble on players like Reynolds as if they have the talent to teach them or can afford to take the time to not get a player they can use right away..

No matter who is evaluating, Ozzie still sees the tapes, still makes the final call, thus I still say he has to go, retire or fire him..

I truly do not think that what has happened is difficult to comprehend.

The football pedigree of the Ravens' draft choices changed with the Harbaugh administration, or rather Harbaugh himself.

The "alpha male", or problem child tag is never a highly desired draft choice of the coach. Hey, he has to coach these guys

and doesn't want to put up with any challenge to his authority or his challenged coaching/play calling practices.there's only

so much room in his dog house.

No, it goes back further than Harbs. They completely missesd on the 2004,2005 draft, 2 players out of the 2006 draft class, one a great punter mind you, but still a punter.

08 2 players out of 10, Flacco & Rice. 09 only six picks because of the trade, & only Webb remains, even he was not the player they thought. We could go on, but this is clear, it isn't all Harbs, but Ozzie was in all of it.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/draft.htm

When was the last time they hit on a 2nd round pick?

Sure, they hit on later rounds, fill in players, they are average on first round players, everyone looks at Ray, JO, Ed, Suggs, Heap,but who else have they really hit on?

Mosley is avaerage at best, they reach on players like Troy Smith, gamble on players like Reynolds as if they have the talent to teach them or can afford to take the time to not get a player they can use right away..

No matter who is evaluating, Ozzie still sees the tapes, still makes the final call, thus I still say he has to go, retire or fire him..

Corea maybe.

Jernagin.

KO

Torrey.

Honestly the 2nd isn't to bad.

I truly do not think that what has happened is difficult to comprehend.

The football pedigree of the Ravens' draft choices changed with the Harbaugh administration, or rather Harbaugh himself.

The "alpha male", or problem child tag is never a highly desired draft choice of the coach. Hey, he has to coach these guys

and doesn't want to put up with any challenge to his authority or his challenged coaching/play calling practices.there's only

so much room in his dog house.

It isn't even problem child. It is guys who demand accountability in the locker room and are willing to be vocal when they see things being done that shouldn't be.

No, it goes back further than Harbs. They completely missesd on the 2004,2005 draft, 2 players out of the 2006 draft class, one a great punter mind you, but still a punter.

08 2 players out of 10, Flacco & Rice. 09 only six picks because of the trade, & only Webb remains, even he was not the player they thought. We could go on, but this is clear, it isn't all Harbs, but Ozzie was in all of it.

Zibby and Nakamaura were OK also.

Anderson is still a backup in the league. So he is not a bust.

Does anyone think it's weird that there hasn't been an end of the year presser yet?

I hardly listen to the fan since it was what I would listen to on my commute, but yesterday someone suggested Savage come back and replace Ozzie. Is Phil Savage even working anywhere?

Corea maybe.

Jernagin.

KO

Torrey.

Honestly the 2nd isn't to bad.

It isn't even problem child. It is guys who demand accountability in the locker room and are willing to be vocal when they see things being done that shouldn't be.

Zibby and Nakamaura were OK also.

Anderson is still a backup in the league. So he is not a bust.

It is that type of thinking, from the front office, that is why this team keeps being mediocre....

Yea! Ozzie found more undrafted, defensive linemen or avaerage linebackers than any other team... Yippie, what has that done for this team? Nadda

Does anyone think it's weird that there hasn't been an end of the year presser yet?

I hardly listen to the fan since it was what I would listen to on my commute, but yesterday someone suggested Savage come back and replace Ozzie. Is Phil Savage even working anywhere?

Yes, I find it odd, haven't they normally had it by now? Maybe they are waiting for all the coaching changes to get done so they can hire someone and then announce it at the liars luncheon....

Or maybe they need a lot of time to come up with the words they think will quell the fan disgust.

"Pray for them".....

And they usually hold it the first week of January in years they miss the playoffs. Now with the senior bowl this week, and no mention of the press conference, clearly it will not be this month.

This could indicate the cowards are going to ignore the fans and not hold one. Not that they said anything truly meaningful in those press conferences, but it would surely be nice, especially for the lemmings.

But given the way they have handled public relations lately, not having one would not shock me...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-bisciotti-20180125-story.html

In the past, the Ravens seemed to have him front and center earlier than now, which lends credence to the theory that Bisciotti really doesn’t want to have the “State of the Ravens” news conference this season.

Maybe they won't. If Steve cowards out of a SOTR then kiss those renewals goodbye.

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2018/1/26/16936734/ravens-owner-steve-bisciotti-alone-holding-annual-state-of-the-ravens-press-conference-nfl-protests

Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti, alone, holding annual “State of the Ravens” press conference

Notably absent from the meeting are: Team President Dick Cass, General Manager Ozzie Newsome and head coach John Harbaugh. In recent years, all three have accompanied Bisciotti to the presser to discuss the team’s previous season and future.

To me this looks like Steve is hiding Harbs and Ozzie from tough questions. Fine grill him up and make this embarrassing.

I agree. He's shielding his staff from criticism and tough questions that make them squirm.

Nice that he's stepping up to show ultimate responsibility but there will be questions that will be out of his area of expertise. And he must know that.