• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,199 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:48 PM

I give them credit for trying to stay loyal and promote from with in, but just like their replay guy who tells Harbs to challenge obvious plays he will lose, they had to see those scouts were not very good.

We did, and Ozzy having say still does not make me feel any better about this team especially since he could not see that those scouts were not very good at judging talent...

How many times has Ozzie been loyal to his picks even when they can't play?

k2-_2564f5e3-aa08-456b-81e9-b7cffd9b394d

Fako, Joe Fako I am the Pick Machine!!!

#22 vmax

vmax

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,929 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:51 PM

Seems to me, the scouts are Ozzie's scape goat

This explains a big part of the problem but it does not excuse Ozzie.

He should have been aware of the drain and drop off of talent in the scouting department and been pro-active.

That's a fail.

In just two weeks, Baltimore has vaulted from 27th in the league in rushing to 11th.

#23 RavenMad

RavenMad

Veteran

• PipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:17 PM

This is purely my take but I don’t believe we have been the same since the Ray Rice incident. We have clearly prioritised character and shied away from anyone that might be a “challenge” to authority. The last risk we took was probably Jimmy Smith and that worked out OK although we could have had Dez Bryant that draft. I think that each team has a player or 2 on each side of the ball that plays with an edge and we have lost that along the way. Once Suggs is gone who is left on the D you would class as a leader? Once Boldin was traded we lost the last attitude player from the O and it shows. Some players are just greater than the sum of the physical parts of their game and we have become gun shy in replacing that attitude.

2narark.jpg

#24 oldno82

oldno82

Veteran

• PipPipPip
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:08 PM

Yeah the same thoughts cross my mind. The Ray Rice debacle started a long decline and we have not signed any 'attitude' guys since the last Super Bowl. In fact the emphasis has been the opposite regardless of talent.

I have gotten the impression that Harbaugh hates to deal with any challenges to his authority and way of thinking. Hence, stagnation. Seems to me that the F.O. has given Harbs way too much say on roster construction.

We did better before he won a Super Bowl on how the roster was made up and that was Ozzie's show. Harbaugh seems to have been a failure in developing new talent and hiring good coaching personnel. I really do think B. should have cut him loose after last season. I think he will after next season. Like Billick before him I think it's just time to cut him loose. His message is stale.

Goodbye, Cincinnati Bengals. Hello, Pittsburgh Steelers.

#25 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,199 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:25 PM

I think it is the revolt.  Since then I don't think Harbs challenges.  I think Rice hitting his GF just happened to be around the same time.

k2-_2564f5e3-aa08-456b-81e9-b7cffd9b394d

Fako, Joe Fako I am the Pick Machine!!!

#26 tsylvester

tsylvester

Veteran

• PipPipPip
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:19 PM

I think the Biscuit touched on it, being too careful, over analysis of draft picks pre draft, I think that definitely goes back to Rice and the way they mishandled it.

Shame no one chided him by asking him if we should pray for them as they make draft choices...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users