ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ray, The Best Ever, Officially in the Hall

vmax

Ozzie says it so well.... "For 17 years, we could point to No. 52 and tell the other players: 'Follow his lead. Practice like Ray practices. Prepare like Ray prepares. Be a great teammate like him.' It was our privilege to have him as a Raven. We are all better for having him here. His play on game days speaks for itself. Even in that small group who have the honor of being a Hall of Famer, Ray stands out. When you talk about the great players of all time, no matter position, he is among the greatest of the great."

Ozzie Newsome, general manager who drafted Lewis in 1996:..http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/43009/ray-lewis-enters-hall-of-fame-as-greatest-leader-in-team-sports-history

rapelesbergere11.jpg Ray_Lewis-Titan_TD.jpg

Fabulous 17 years of watching the greatest MLB to ever play.

Even in the down years, it was worth the price of admission to watch him play. I screamed every time he came out of the tunnel, got my game face on and took up my position as the 12th man.

The Ravens were feared and had a chance to win against every opponent because of how well he elevated and inspired the level of performance of those around him.

Preston says it well....

Ray Lewis could have played in any era of the NFL, which is why he is the greatest middle linebacker ever.

There have been other great ones, such as the Chicago Bears’ Dick Butkus, the Green Bay Packers’ Ray Nitschke, the Atlanta Falcons’ Tommy Nobis, the Kansas City Chiefs’ Willie Lanier and the Baltimore Colts’ Mike Curtis, but they weren’t complete players like Lewis.

A lot of them wouldn’t have been on the field on third down or in passing situations in today’s game while Lewis never came off the field. He could easily cover a running back or tight end and was the first middle linebacker who could run sideline to sideline without losing a step.....“He might have been the greatest leader in the history of football,” said Ravens Hall of Fame offensive tackle Jonathan Ogden,....http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-preston-ray-lewis-best-ever-20180203-story.html

We're a fortunate group of fans.

ray_lewis_yell_160623020.jpg

Edited by vmax

Shannon Sharpe, Hall of Fame tight end who was Lewis' teammate in 2000 and 2001: "Before we get to his play, Ray is the greatest leader in team sports history. No one is even close. His resume as a player speaks for itself, but I'll add this: He dominated in two eras of football. In the first half of his career, when the run game was the most prominent, he was a beast. Extraordinary.

"He singlehandedly shut down great backs like Jerome Bettis, Eddie George and Fred Taylor. When the passing game became the way teams regularly moved the ball, he was spectacular. Teams didn't run screens against him. Receivers became reluctant to come across his view, and his speed allowed him to take away shallow and deep parts of the middle of the field. I saw all of this as a teammate with him and playing against him. No inside linebacker in the history of the game has the resume of the man I call 'Suga.'"....http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/43009/ray-lewis-enters-hall-of-fame-as-greatest-leader-in-team-sports-history

lewis-ray-OK.jpg636532788701386882-AP-BRONCOS-RAVENS-163

Edited by vmax

Mike Singletary, Hall of Fame linebacker who was Lewis' position coach in 2003 and 2004: "It was my privilege to spend time with Ray and be awed by his play and leadership. As a witness from the sideline in practices and in games as his linebackers coach, I saw everything about him. As a player, he was ferocious. His ability to make every play, and the way he did it with his speed and power, I’ll never forget that. He electrified his teammates in practice and games.

"His leadership was none like I’ve ever seen. His work was so thorough, his credibility allowed him to bring his teammates along with him to the highest levels. He took over games emotionally, creating intensity that was special and off the charts. I can't emphasize enough how his teammates followed him. He worked at his craft. Did he work harder than everybody else? I can't identify another like him. Hall of Famer? He's the best I've seen, and, if people thought I was good, I know that Ray was better."'....http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/43009/ray-lewis-enters-hall-of-fame-as-greatest-leader-in-team-sports-history

1996b.jpg

1200.jpg

Mike Nolan, Lewis' defensive coordinator from 2002 to 2004: "You could argue that Ray is the greatest defensive player in history. I was very fortunate to coach Lawrence Taylor. Since he was an outside linebacker, offenses could run away from him. The same with a great lineman like Reggie White. You couldn't run away from Ray. He played in the middle of the field. He could literally stop inside running games, sweeps and screen passes by himself. Then you add his dedication to the game: the film study, the lifting, the passion, the leadership. I grew up in the game and never saw or heard about anyone who did what Ray did."....http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/43009/ray-lewis-enters-hall-of-fame-as-greatest-leader-in-team-sports-history

nfl_raylewis_02.jpg

He had a good smile too.... :gorave:

Ray+Lewis+Super+Bowl+XLVII+Media+Day+Dc_

Rod Woodson, Hall of Fame defensive back who was Lewis' teammate from 1998 to 2001: "What needs to be said about a guy who was, by far, the best leader I witnessed in my 17 years of play? Not only a great leader to the whole team, but a mentor to teammates and players on other teams -- and those playing other pro sports. His singular focus to be the best player and teammate he could be separates him from other Hall of Famers. So unselfish. So selfless.

"The passion we all saw was real. He's relentless. It is who he is. His play was off the charts, a virtual tackling machine -- and a playmaker. He caused fumbles, recovered fumbles, interceptions, tipped passes. He did it all for longer than anyone who played his spot in the middle. If possible, he got better with age. His attitude and effort remained the highest, but his knowledge increased with all his study. Even as a young player, he would call out the plays the offense was about to run. He could play so fast, and with such confidence, because he knew what was about to happen.".....http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/43009/ray-lewis-enters-hall-of-fame-as-greatest-leader-in-team-sports-history

Somehow I don't see him riding off into the sunset...

oldspiceraylewis1.png

I’ve never seen any player with faster sideline to sideline speed and then hit with force than him.

Ray was fearless and fear inducing.

Remember the play when the Chargers were driving towards a winning td and he hit Tomlinson in the backfield in an explosion of speed and power? He stopped him cold and the Chargers wilted.

And yep I remember the Eddie George play.

• 2 weeks later...

And as he was pushing himself off a QB that he had just sacked, would tell them, "I'll be back". Great player, great motivator, Ray put the Baltimore Ravens on the map. Congratulations Ray Lewis. Your kind come around only once in a blue moon.