ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Draft Grades

vmax

I give it a B+. :gorave:

Hurst and Andrews will give the Joe and the Ravens a very solid TE squad. They now have blockers who can catch and 2 new receiving threats with great hands, They use 2 TE sets more than any team in the NFL and one major offensive weakness is addressed.

Jackson is simply one great playmaker with swag who I think will become a solid NFL QB. They have time to develop him. I know fans think because of his massive amount of rushing TD's he is runner but he's really a pocket passer first. I don't see an RG3 guy here or Kapernick or Tyrod Taylor.....but I can understand others concerns...they are valid.

Love the Brown pick. I truly believe he will be as good as his Dad if not better. He will need this yea to develop strength and technique but he should hold down the right side for years to come. The Ravens are close to having an O line that will were down and not be bullied by NFL D lines. That's huge.

Scott...they say he's slow. I say no CB's can cover him if the pass is lofted high enough. Great redzone target. And Great hands. The Ravens now have a squad of sure handed receivers. Huge!

Lasley could be Patrick Johnson or he could develop into a serious threat...we'll see.

Averet is very good depth for a solid returning secondary.

Elliott and Bozeman are solid players who have a decent shot at contributing and starting down the road.

12 Picks!!! Congratulations Ozzie!

newsome1.jpg

I'll go with a C+ for now. I love the Andrews pick, dependable pass catcher, knows how to get open, makes the tough catch. He is an average blocker, not great, more like Heap was, he gets in the way more than blocks.

Brown is the biggest question mark, he is slow footed, doesn't use his hands well, would rather lean on defenders rather than power them off the ball. He struggles with footwork against quick defenders and gets lost in the second level... Still, his potential is there.

Jackson is a great pick IF, he can adjust to the NFL, throw timing and touch routes, get his mechanics fixed, learn to read a defense.

I don't like the price they paid for him, nor going into the season with a lame duck quarterback and coach. One bad play by Joe and it will be fans clamoring for Jackson to start, ready or not.

The rest are who knows, Bozeman is a solid late pick at center, he is smart, good hand works, he could be a great one.

Overall, I believe it's a C. Right now, looking at these players, I have no reason to think that any of them will be an All Pro. Most are, IMO, average players at best. To win, you need standouts. I see none here.

I really hope I'm wrong about this, but I can find no reason to believe that this draft made us a better football team.

I don't like the price they paid for him, nor going into the season with a lame duck quarterback and coach. One bad play by Joe and it will be fans clamoring for Jackson to start, ready or not.

You know this will happen...it's coming and will be real hard to sit through.

I really like Jackson but mainly for the QB that I think he can develop into....and that takes time.

He needs a year to develop.

The Browns ruined so many QB's by throwing them to the wolves when they were ill prepared. Some of those guys might have developed into solid NFL QB's.

Yet...Joe is on the hot seat and he helped put himself there....

Nine NFL veterans who have been put on notice after NFL draft ...............Joe Flacco, QB, Baltimore Ravens

He's a former Super Bowl MVP. But when GM Ozzie Newsome traded back into the first round to take Louisville QB Lamar Jackson, an air horn of a message was blared to Flacco. He has four years left on his contract, but no guaranteed money owed to him after the 2019 season. So while Jackson needs to sit and develop, if Flacco doesn’t play better, Baltimore could accelerate the succession plan for Jackson.

Here's what leaves me unhappy about this draft.

Eisenberg states it perfectly....

If I have one grumble (you have to have one, right?), it would be with the second of Newsome’s two first-round trade-backs. It’s hard to argue with the player the Ravens ended up with, tight Hayden Hurst, but I would’ve been just as happy to see them trade back only once and take Maryland wide receiver D.J. Moore at No. 22 overall......http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Eisenberg-Ozzies-Last-Draft-Was-a-Drop-The-Mic-Moment/1b94ce87-6ee7-44d5-aca1-b42196bf8c7f

Really....not getting him tears me up...yet, like many things in life, I'll get over it.

I’m intrigued by Lasley. I’ve seen some of his UCLA games and think he would have been drafted a lot higher but for his mental lapse drops. I actually see a lot of Antonio Brown in his game. If he has half the career of Brown he will be a steal. That said he could easily end up like another Perriman.

Right now I give it a C+ with B+ potential. I love the Andrews pick because he’s deadly in the slot and a big guy. I really see him more a big wideout who can catch. The thing I like most about Hurst is that he caught 46 passes last year and had NO drops! How refreshing for a Ravens receiver. The Lamar Jackson pick generates both excitement and fear. He’s definitely a playmaker but he only scored 13 on the Wonderlic test. No other drafted qb scored below 20!

Like the Scott pickup because like Boldin he can catch and fight for the ball. Don’t know about Lasley...lots of drops makes me think he will be a bust. Center pickup was decent.

Old, don't put too much stock in the Wonderlic score, many test poorly. Sure, in the Super Bowl era, very few quarterbacks won a Super Bowl with a score less than average. However, teaching in football is catching up to that of the class room; you find out how a person learns, then you teach them that way.

Sure, part II, no running qb has won a Super Bowl either and no, Steve Young and Russel Wilson do not count. Young didn't win until he learned to be a passing qb under the greatest coach and behind one of the greatest qbs of all time.

Wilson was always a scrambler not a runner, big difference.

With all that said, the game is changing, so eventually one will win it but yes they have to learn to throw, run as the last resort.

I know he wants to learn, he tried that last season, better overall numbers..

Of note, 16, 15 were the scores for Terry Bradshaw and Dan Marino respectively.

You know this will happen...it's coming and will be real hard to sit through.

I really like Jackson but mainly for the QB that I think he can develop into....and that takes time.

He needs a year to develop.

The Browns ruined so many QB's by throwing them to the wolves when they were ill prepared. Some of those guys might have developed into solid NFL QB's.

Yet...Joe is on the hot seat and he helped put himself there....

And watch Joe come out and play his ass off this season.

Old, don't put too much stock in the Wonderlic score, many test poorly. Sure, in the Super Bowl era, very few quarterbacks won a Super Bowl with a score less than average. However, teaching in football is catching up to that of the class room; you find out how a person learns, then you teach them that way.

Sure, part II, no running qb has won a Super Bowl either and no, Steve Young and Russel Wilson do not count. Young didn't win until he learned to be a passing qb under the greatest coach and behind one of the greatest qbs of all time.

Wilson was always a scrambler not a runner, big difference.

With all that said, the game is changing, so eventually one will win it but yes they have to learn to throw, run as the last resort.

I know he wants to learn, he tried that last season, better overall numbers..

Of note, 16, 15 were the scores for Terry Bradshaw and Dan Marino respectively.

Thanks for showing me those scores and your reasoning regarding the test. I hope he pans out. The most important thing will be keeping him healthy while he's learning what to do in the NFL.

In fact, I'm more concerned about another injury epidemic this year. Somehow, some way the team needs to keep our players healthy. The last 3 years have been ridiculously high in injuries. We need a lot of our draftees to make this team so we can have some depth.

I’m intrigued by Lasley. I’ve seen some of his UCLA games and think he would have been drafted a lot higher but for his mental lapse drops. I actually see a lot of Antonio Brown in his game. If he has half the career of Brown he will be a steal. That said he could easily end up like another Perriman.

I don't think anyone can crap the bed as bad as Perriman did.

I hope Flacco has a monster season. No boo-hoos from me...I'll give him that the talent around him has been below average, but the guy is butt hurt over this pick.

Like most, I'm hoping with these newest weapons and toys Joe will have a renaissance year.

Notice I said "hope". Maybe playing a little pissed off and with a chip on his shoulder will do him and the team some good.

It sure cant hurt, especially with the rookie QB looking over his shoulder.

I’m intrigued by Lasley. I’ve seen some of his UCLA games and think he would have been drafted a lot higher but for his mental lapse drops. I actually see a lot of Antonio Brown in his game. If he has half the career of Brown he will be a steal.

Love that! :thumbup:

We can dream. We can dream.

Look, things were really looking bad before the draft...now there's a feeling of looking forward to the new season regardless of how it pans out because things will be really interesting.

Hopefully, Lamar gets to play some in the Hall of Fame game.

Look, things were really looking bad before the draft...now there's a feeling of looking forward to the new season regardless of how it pans out because things will be really interesting.

Hopefully, Lamar gets to play some in the Hall of Fame game.

Exactly what I was thinking.

The season ended and I was totally fed up with what I saw. Like, "I can't go through this again."

I lost interest and that is really bad because I've been a die hard fan from jump street.

It's not simply the draft. It's all the moves of the off season. I'm grading this off season an A-.

The big thing is that the Ravens got rid of a lot of dead weight....and upgraded that hole.

How this season will pan out..... I don't know.

But I'm very interested and intrigued today.