55 replies to this topic

#41 Tornado700

Tornado700

Rookie

• PipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Interests:Ravens, Md. Terps

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:47 PM

Nope, plenty of time. It looked like he just looked at the rb, no where else. He was bad last night. Three line is not great, the receivers are retreads, but he's a lower tier starter now who is getting worse.

I knew when this game started that Joe was not going to be the same Joe we saw last week vs. Buffalo. He had "the fear look" in his eyes. Last week, we came out hard on play action by Joe. Against Cincy, it was all drop back and hunt for a receiver. Anyway, Cincy looked unbeatable last night. It was very hard to watch. And yes, what the hell went wrong with our defense?

#42 Tornado700

Tornado700

Rookie

• PipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:52 PM

It was pretty bad and downright ugly some of the time. I have to say I was shocked to see Stanley getting pushed around by a rookie. The protection for Joe was terrible and so was his throwing. The pass to Brown for a TD was lucky.

If Joe gets good protection, he'll pick a defense apart, but pressure him and he falls apart.

I give the defense a pass figuring losing their leader Mosley early on was a big  shock to their psyche. They recovered for the most part in the second half.

I'm not expecting much better this season. Maybe they can bounce back against Pittsburgh next week since their pride has now been wounded.

82- Luckily, we play Denver at home this week. Pittsburgh is after that away.

#43 oldno82

oldno82

Veteran

• PipPipPip
  • 3,360 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:11 PM

82- Luckily, we play Denver at home this week. Pittsburgh is after that away.

Ah, thanks, my mistake. Maybe we can bounce back but the O-line and Joe can't just give it away. And the D has to play hard for 4 quarters.

By the way, want to agree with Tsyl on the 2-point conversion call. We've always found that a hard play to make and going for it at that time was ludicrous.

Martindale will bring pressure from anywhere on the field under any situation. He has the psyche of former Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan. He doesn’t give a damn because his style rules.

#44 tsylvester

tsylvester

Veteran

• PipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:25 AM

I've always felt that when you are coming from behind and get momentum going, any negative in pts is a killer. It may be just one point, but it is another point you have to make up. Keep the positive going, kick the extra point there, go for 2 when you have no other choice.

#45 Tornado700

Tornado700

Rookie

• PipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:49 AM

I've always felt that when you are coming from behind and get momentum going, any negative in pts is a killer. It may be just one point, but it is another point you have to make up. Keep the positive going, kick the extra point there, go for 2 when you have no other choice.

I think I can speak for many Raven fans on this. When the Ravens want two and line up, we lose the extra point. We hardly ever win that contest.

And one other thing. Did you notice that on 3rd and short (1 or 2 yards ) that we threw the ball? Why not trust your backs to run that thing in there?

#46 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,909 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:44 AM

I think I can speak for many Raven fans on this. When the Ravens want two and line up, we lose the extra point. We hardly ever win that contest.

And one other thing. Did you notice that on 3rd and short (1 or 2 yards ) that we threw the ball? Why not trust your backs to run that thing in there?

Why not QB sneak when it is less than a yd?  They did it once but should have done it more.

k2-_2564f5e3-aa08-456b-81e9-b7cffd9b394d

Fako, Joe Fako I am the Pick Machine!!!

#47 tsylvester

tsylvester

Veteran

• PipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:10 PM

It should be an automatic call papa on 3rd or 4th and a yard or less if there is no nose tackle. Several teams do this, but never the Ravens...

#48 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,909 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:55 PM

It seemed to me that they were protecting Joe like some delecate flower.

#49 Spen

Spen

Pro Bowler

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,064 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 01:40 PM

I just don't see the missed 2pt as an issue. It's really no worse than kicking the xp. Still within one score and if you made it you're within a fg.

I have little confidence in the Ravens ever converting on them, but understand the logic for going for 2. It's not a crazy or dumb call IMO.

It's not as big of an issue as the terrible play from the QB or suspect line play.
Hi.

#50 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,909 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 02:05 PM

If they make it they tie with a fg.  If they miss they have to go for the win with a TD.

#51 oldno82

oldno82

Veteran

• PipPipPip
  • 3,360 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 04:23 PM

But they invariably don't make it.

Martindale will bring pressure from anywhere on the field under any situation. He has the psyche of former Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan. He doesn’t give a damn because his style rules.

#52 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,909 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 04:30 PM

Their plays are designed poorly.  Marty should have been sent packing but John puts friendship over performance.

#53 Spen

Spen

Pro Bowler

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,064 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 09:57 AM

If they make it they tie with a fg.  If they miss they have to go for the win with a TD.

Yep. And if they had kicked the extra point?
Hi.

#54 tsylvester

tsylvester

Veteran

• PipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 10:57 AM

Yep. And if they had kicked the extra point?

Then the positive feelings stay up, they know there is one less score to need to win.

I am not saying never go for 2, but whwn your team is bad at them, 33% for the Ravens last year, and you are clearly flat and down big, you don't chase points.

This team has settled for field goals too often based on play calling, change the mantra by how you call plays. Enough with the Stover, Tucker fantasy champs.

#55 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,909 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 10:59 AM

Then the positive feelings stay up, they know there is one less score to need to win.

I am not saying never go for 2, but whwn your team is bad at them, 33% for the Ravens last year, and you are clearly flat and down big, you don't chase points.

This team has settled for field goals too often based on play calling, change the mantra by how you call plays. Enough with the Stover, Tucker fantasy champs.

I do very much agree with the over reliance on the kickers.  Tucker may be a crutch that hurts them.

#56 Tornado700

Tornado700

Rookie

• PipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:39 PM

I just feel that if they try the 2 point conversion, that you should have full confidence that you will score. 33% is abysmal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users