ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Red hot Seat

vmax

Harbaugh is on it now.

The Ravens will have a new head coach in 2019

A week after losing on a shocking missed extra point attempt, Baltimore's vaunted defense got run over by Cam Newton and the Panthers to drop the Ravens to 4-4. Their other losses are division losses to Cincinnati and Cleveland. They did beat the Steelers, in Pittsburgh, so they're capable of big things. But they're in danger of tumbling out of the AFC North race if they don't do it again next week at home.

Graziano's verdict: NOT AN OVERREACTION. There have been rumblings about John Harbaugh's job security the past two offseasons, and if the Ravens don't make the playoffs this year, that'll be four years in a row. That's not acceptable there and could lead to major changes -- especially if they're transitioning to Lamar Jackson at quarterback. Entering the Sunday night game, Baltimore's plus-60 point differential was higher than any other team's outside of the otherworldly Rams and Chiefs. It's not hard to make the case that they're underachieving.....http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25111625/overreact-nfl-2018-week-8-tampa-bay-buccaneers-done-jameis-winston

The hot seat that Ravens coach John Harbaugh has been sitting on all season got hotter Sunday. Everybody from the front office to the coaching staff down to Poe the mascot should start getting a little nervous now............And somewhere in his private confines, team owner Steve Bisciotti had to be seething and wanting to know what the heck happened to his football team....http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-preston-ravens-harbaugh-20181028-story.html#nt=oft03a-1la1

Yep, you could also include Ed Reed (lesser degree). Yep, mediocrity and no playoffs since 2013. Not cutting it; time to move on.

FWIW- New coach and Lamar may not be a good match. Although a 1st rounder (albeit later), not sure a new HC wants someone else's QB pick.

Could be some sweeping changes all around.

I wanted Patricia for some time. Thats gone. Looking at the early hot candidates I like Dan Campbell. Chris Petersen out of Washington is interesting. David Shaw has been a hot guy for yrs and it would be a return back to the Ravens. Lincoln Riley understands wide open offenses and maybe he could translate Jackson.

Now the question is will Steve be so stupid to get snowed by another mediocre guy?

That really depends on whether you like the hire or not. If you do then no matter what you will back that coach. If you don't they can do great and you will say the credit lies elsewhere.

You know, typical kid stuff.

Not really. I will give a new hire time. I didn't expect Pederson or McVay to do what they did. I thought Harbs at first had it. I liked how he was taking control of the locker room. Over time seeing him make the same mistakes over and over I soured on him and since that time he has continually talked Steve out of making changes.

There's a new GM taking over.

Does he want to tie his fate to Joe and Jim or to Lamar and a HC of his choosing?

Then...do they get rid of Weddle, Carr, Jefferson?

Does Suggs retire?

What about Brown, Snead and Crabtree? They will all be another year older.

What about getting a pass rush and an effective offensive line?

What about getting a RB?

I say you bring in a new HC and start fresh with a new QB. Weve seen Joes best, and Im not hanging my hat on Lamar as the next franchise QB. If we make that mistake, we arent having a winning franchise for 3-5 years. Itll take that long to run the Lamar experiment.

We need to go the route of the Rams, Eagles and have our HC link up with a new franchise QB. Commit to that strategy now and concede a couple of losing seasons, instead of squeaking out these 7-9 and 8-8 seasons and drafting 15-20.

For once, get a dang franchise QB and stop farting around by trading back and missing out on a Calvin Ridley - who we could have easily had this year. Draft a Carson Wentz, Jared Goff and some playmakers on offense. Weve missed the boat all these years; its time to turn this ship around !

More hot seat news...

Harbaugh, though, didn’t appear bothered by the speculation.

“I’ve never been someone who’s worried about keeping a job,” Harbaugh said. “It’s always been for me about doing the job. I’ve got a bunch of great coaches and a bunch of great players that bust their tails every day to do the best job they can. I feel good about the way this team has been coached for the last 11 years and for the last number of weeks we’ve been in the season.

“So there are no regrets. Never been any regrets here with me. We’ll keep fighting, and that’s we do.”

That’s all you can ask from any team and any coach. Bisciotti probably feels the same way, too, which is why he should continue with Harbaugh for the rest of the season......https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-harbaugh-20181104-story.html

Baltimore Ravens: They’ve now lost three in a row and four of the last five after dropping their game against the Steelers, 23-16. An NFL Network report suggested coach John Harbaugh could be fired soon. Baltimore’s deep passing game that helped it burst to a hot start this season disappeared and its defense has yielded a steady stream of explosive plays over the past several weeks. The Ravens can move on from quarterback Joe Flacco at the end of the 2019 season, Eric DeCosta will replace Ozzie Newsome as general manager at the end of this year, and if a coaching change does come down, this could be a team in a full rebuild.......https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-week-9-winners-losers-la-chargers-surging-tom-brady-gets-better-of-aaron-rodgers/ar-BBPlTcm?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=U508DHP

Edited by vmax

As the old Eagles song goes - 'the heat is on".

FWIW- I'd stick Lamar in now, run the experiment, and see if he's the man.

I'm not sold on him being a franchise QB - he might very well be - just not sold him.

Get him some dang reps at home against Cincy - since they have Joe's number (cover 2) and he will have his normal meltdown after 1st pick.

Afterwards, see what the kid has and give it a whirl. Regardless, we should still draft a QB in 2019 or 2020 (latest).

We been through this transition before with Billick- Harbaugh. Lets get it on !

Well if he was on the hot seat last week he is as good as gone now. This team is horribly underachieving.

Disagree to a point. They are underachieving but not horribly so. This roster was not built to really win. That said I think Eric needs to go also.

There's a new GM taking over.

Does he want to tie his fate to Joe and Jim or to Lamar and a HC of his choosing?

Then...do they get rid of Weddle, Carr, Jefferson?

Does Suggs retire?

What about Brown, Snead and Crabtree? They will all be another year older.

What about getting a pass rush and an effective offensive line?

What about getting a RB?

Every player you listed need to leave. It is time for the full rebuild. Weddle and Jefferson are crap. Carr while not great is serviceable but why sink that much money into him. Suggs is a FA and there is absolutely no point bringing him back. They should have cut ties a long time ago. All the WRs were 1 yr deals. They all will get raises next yr so whats the point keeping them?

Draft a RB.

I say you bring in a new HC and start fresh with a new QB. Weve seen Joes best, and Im not hanging my hat on Lamar as the next franchise QB. If we make that mistake, we arent having a winning franchise for 3-5 years. Itll take that long to run the Lamar experiment.

We need to go the route of the Rams, Eagles and have our HC link up with a new franchise QB. Commit to that strategy now and concede a couple of losing seasons, instead of squeaking out these 7-9 and 8-8 seasons and drafting 15-20.

For once, get a dang franchise QB and stop farting around by trading back and missing out on a Calvin Ridley - who we could have easily had this year. Draft a Carson Wentz, Jared Goff and some playmakers on offense. Weve missed the boat all these years; its time to turn this ship around !

I said Jackson would set this franchise back 5 yrs but since you have invested the picks in him you have to play it out. I think the Ravens will be a bad team for some time.

The only way firing Harbaugh would work is if they went all in on Jackson, but then get Morninweig still, my assumption. Gross.

And the D is not holding up their end of the bargain.

I say if they fire Harbs Marty has to go with him. I would let Roman OC the rest of the season. Let Rossberg be the HC.

Papa said: I said Jackson would set this franchise back 5 yrs but since you have invested the picks in him you have to play it out. I think the Ravens will be a bad team for some time.

IDK about 5 years. You play him (Jackson) now - rest of 2018 season and through 2019. We stink in that window of uncertainly anyway. Joe's gone by end of 2019 and you have either a proven

Lamar or not, we draft a new, franchise QB by then. If we don't do that, then yes we stink for 3-5 years.

Joe needs to be gone this winter. June 1 at the latest. I think you have to give Jackson all the way through 2020 to stand or fall. The team also will be rebuilding and getting old guys off the roster. That is a lot of losing. If at the end of 2020 Lamar has shown he isn't the guy then you need to search for the guy and have them go through the growing pains. That is 5 yrs.

Joe needs to be gone this winter. June 1 at the latest. I think you have to give Jackson all the way through 2020 to stand or fall. The team also will be rebuilding and getting old guys off the roster. That is a lot of losing. If at the end of 2020 Lamar has shown he isn't the guy then you need to search for the guy and have them go through the growing pains. That is 5 yrs.

Agreed on Joe. I'd give FO through 2019 to determine whether Lamar is the guy. Since there aren't any franchise QBs until 2020, I'd target that year for moving on or retaining, though I think its the former.

I agree except they do need to eject from the Flacco era before 2019. They'd still have dead money but they would save more than they would be obligated to. Besides, I can't see letting a $20+ million qb sitting on the bench pouting. The sooner they find out about Lamar the better. I have no real idea of he'll succeed but I've always been leary of qb's who love to run. That said, I don't think he's getting a fair shake in how they're using him right now. Let the kid throw some.

We are in for several years of losing. I just hope the fans are patient. The Browns' fans remained loyal through all the crap that they've been subjected to. We have to also.

Yep, it was ugly in 2006 -2007. We endured and then Harbs, Flacco and Rice entered the picture. I can see 2-3 yr of ugliness, followed by competitiveness and playoffs.

The sooner the better. Hell, we might even beat the Steelers and Cincy to the bottom and we may all be looking up the Brownies. Ha ha !

Weird news from Harbaugh on Dixon

Harbaugh on Dixon's status: There’s issues going on with him that are beyond our coaches control. We just have to wait for league clearance. I don’t even delve into that because it’s not my concern. Ozzie takes care of that. When he tells us he can practice, he’ll be out there.

Agreed on Joe. I'd give FO through 2019 to determine whether Lamar is the guy. Since there aren't any franchise QBs until 2020, I'd target that year for moving on or retaining, though I think its the former.

A yr of eval is really not fair to the QB. Brees, Smith, Brady, Rodgers, and many others took longer than that to evaluate.

Weird news from Harbaugh on Dixon

Harbaugh on Dixon's status: There’s issues going on with him that are beyond our coaches control. We just have to wait for league clearance. I don’t even delve into that because it’s not my concern. Ozzie takes care of that. When he tells us he can practice, he’ll be out there.

Sounds like a PED issue.