ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Inconsistent Ravens reflect flawed franchise strategy

papasmurfbell

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2018/11/1/18044648/inconsistent-ravens-flawed-franchise-strategy-joe-flacco-john-harbaugh-eric-decosta-ozzie-newsome

Attempting to infuse hope into a disgruntled and disappointed fan base, Baltimore has cycled through coordinators and continuously made humble but strategic additions to try to revive Joe Flacco’s tenure as the franchise quarterback. After becoming Super Bowl MVP, Flacco received an inflated contract that has proven to be more of a crippling cap constraint than an worthwhile investment for the organization.

In drafting Lamar Jackson in April, the Ravens followed their own ineffective playbook. The move was just bold enough to bring excitement and speculation into Baltimore’s offseason. However, questions about Jackson’s ability to become an NFL-caliber quarterback kept the status quo, never truly threatening Flacco’s position on the depth chart. Time and time again, Baltimore has flirted with dramatic change only to make incremental tweaks to a team that has failed to make any real noise since 2014.

In a league that is defined by parity, rapid change and evolving strategy, to be stagnant is to become inconsequential. The Ravens have not finished with double digit wins in three seasons, yet have won just enough contests to push them down draft boards. In the last four drafts, Baltimore has selected in the top 10 just once, drafting Ronnie Stanley with the sixth overall pick in 2016. In that same draft, the currently undefeated Los Angeles Rams traded up to select Jared Goff and the defending Super Bowl champion Eagles did the same to pick Carson Wentz.

Yes. Spot on.

Good article. Hit's the nail right on the head.

The Rams and Eagles were desperate for a QB. The Ravens were not. They needed help at lots of positions. I can't fault them on passing on Wentz and Goff. It certainly would be nice to have them now if you want to Monday Morning QB.

If Baltimore fails to reach the playoffs for the fourth consecutive year, it is hard to envision a scenario where John Harbaugh keeps his job. With Eric DeCosta set to take over for Ozzie Newsome in 2019, the timing would be optimal for the new general manager to start positioning the franchise in an entirely new direction.

Max, definitely cant cry over spilled milk - Wentz or Goff- but the transitioning in my mind has been underway since 2013 - after our SB win and Joes monster contract. Its just taken 5 years and a pundits article to expose it all.

I think reality settles in after Sundays game and the transitioning becomes that more Imminent.

For what its worth, many on this board - smarter than me - have also seen this coming. FWIW 2 - the sooner we rebuild the better. Hangin around 7-9 and 8-8, aint no fun.

Just my two cents.

FWIW 2 - the sooner we rebuild the better. Hangin around 7-9 and 8-8, aint no fun.

Just my two cents.

I strongly agree with that. If we're going to rebuild it's better to tear down the whole structure and start from scratch by trading for early draft picks. It will definitely take a lot of shrewd maneuvering by whoever is in the Front Office. Yes, we would have 2-3 bad years but would be hopefully stronger and younger after that.

As a fan I could live with that.

I still have some hope that we win the next two and all this is moot until if we make the playoffs. But it's getting harder for me to believe that as every hour passes.