ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

There's No Pressure Lamar

vmax

No big deal.

If you start, then you'll be replacing the Ravens QB for the past 11 years. A Super Bowl MVP.

This is a must win game. As close to a playoff game without being a playoff game. The Ravens have to win to stay in the playoff hunt at 4-5. A loss and it's and uphill battle to be a .500 team.

The Bengals at 5-4 own the Raven and have just as much pressure to win.

A loss and your HC probably loses his job at the end of the season....lots of players will lose their jobs.

This is more than enough to make a lesser man have an upset stomach!

So chill....be cool....it's just football......another day at the office. :gorave:

180803-lamar-jackson.jpg?quality=90&stri

How about a little hype....

I mean a guy who can dress like this for the draft does not know fear....

951594372_24422477-e1524812502910.jpg?w=

“When my name finally got called, I was like, ‘Man, I’m glad I wore this suit,’ ” Jackson said jokingly during a post-draft news conference. “Just an honor for the Ravens organization to believe in me. And all the teams that passed me up … there’s a lot that’s gonna come with that.”

What do you think Kyle?

Harbaugh could probably get some good advice on the subject from Mike Shanahan.

In 2012, the former Washington Redskins head coach and his son, Kyle, then the team’s offensive playcaller, devised an offense that incorporated many designed QB runs and college option-style plays to capitalize on Robert Griffin III’s skills. Griffin had a spectacular season. He won the NFL’s 2012 Associated Press Offensive Rookie of the Year award and the Redskins won the NFC East division title.

Based on Shanahan’s evaluation of Jackson’s college game footage, Baltimore’s coaching staff should be very excited..........“If he was in the right system to utilize his skills and he continued to progress at the next level in the dropback [passing] game, then you’ve got somebody pretty special.”......With Griffin in Washington, Kyle Shanahan, who’s now the San Francisco 49ers’ head coach, emphasized the use of run-pass options, “which, when you have a guy with real high-level athleticism, it just does wonders for your play-action game,” Mike Shanahan said. “It just opens up so much.”........Jackson’s potential is off the charts, Mike Shanahan said.

“It really jumps out at you,” he said. “And if he’s a guy who wants to be good and really wants to succeed at the next level, because of what he can do running the ball and in your play-action game, he could be second to none.”...Shanahan believes the Ravens won’t be disappointed.

“Use him the right way,” Shanahan said, “and he could be a guy we’re talking about for years.”....https://theundefeated.com/features/lamar-jackson-final-pick-nfl-draft-2018-baltimore-ravens/

:bow: :gorave:

Certainly Lamar will not last long if he continues to run as much as today. When he got near the sidelines, he did run out. The Bengals tried hard to hurt or injure him when tackling him.

But come on man!!....this was a fun game to watch.

A huge win and give Lamar some credit to play as well as he did in his first NFL start. Of course it was raw and imperfect.

There is a lot to build on.

How about Gus Edwards!

He's a huge reason that they won. All the big gains he made kept them out of 3rd and long.

On the 2 pt conversion run, the look on his face as he started to run toward the end zone....the look in his eyes....well there's no way that I would have wanted to be in front of him. It was like "get out of my way or I'll destroy you."

They should have been Edwards more this season. He showed the north south ability in the preseason.

We’ll be able to beat teams like the Bengals and probably the Raiders next week. But after that they’re going to have it much tougher.

I'm not so sure that they can't beat the Chiefs or Falcons with Lamar and this run heavy offense.

Both teams have defenses that suck and the Ravens should score at will.

Look at what all this running did for the Ravens today; the Ravens had the ball for 38 minutes to the Bengals 21.

Keep the offenses off the field.

Edited by vmax

Yeah keeping those high powered offenses off the field will help. We need to see how successful our offense will be once the opposing teams have tape of it to watch. I think there was an element of surprise on our play calling today.

There is a lot of luck involved in this win. The Bengals defense is horrible.

The Monday Morning QB in me says Lamar can't be counted on to be a franchise QB until he consistently throws from the pocket and proves he can throw the ball down the field and get the ball to his receivers.

You have to have a very good passing game in today's NFL to go anywhere.

Granted he's a rookie. This was his first start. He's a project with a huge upside.

Max, good start. The more he plays, the more we see. I personally would like to advance the evaluation process

so that we will know whether he can become a franchise QB. He needs the rest of this year and all of next to find out.

Others will disagree (and perhaps rightfully so) but I'd like to think we can evaluate in a year and a half (end of 2019).

We are undergoing a youth movement and he comes in at an opportune time to grown with the team - like Joe did in 08.

If the FO plays this right - jettisons some aging vets, secure a good salary cap position, and returns to successful drafting,

we could see some real success instead of the mediocrity we've witnessed over the past 5 years.

Lamar will either fit in or not. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy watching Lamar - his energy, passion and skillset - and root for his success.

Won of the huge parts of the win was the OL. They gave the running game really nice holes. Why is it they changed with the QB change? That I don't know. But if the OL performs better with Lamar then this is the way the team should go the rest of the way.

Also while I might have wnted Jackson to throw from the pocket more he did start slinging the ball and looked pretty good doing it.

Max, good start. The more he plays, the more we see. I personally would like to advance the evaluation process

so that we will know whether he can become a franchise QB. He needs the rest of this year and all of next to find out.

Others will disagree (and perhaps rightfully so) but I'd like to think we can evaluate in a year and a half (end of 2019).

We are undergoing a youth movement and he comes in at an opportune time to grown with the team - like Joe did in 08.

If the FO plays this right - jettisons some aging vets, secure a good salary cap position, and returns to successful drafting,

we could see some real success instead of the mediocrity we've witnessed over the past 5 years.

Lamar will either fit in or not. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy watching Lamar - his energy, passion and skillset - and root for his success.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Lamar needs to learn the art of passing in pros before a "test" can be run.

Feeding him playing time before he is similarly ready is just throwing him to defeat without a system so he has a true opportunity,

just like Joe hasn't had over the last four years.

After Sunday I think we'll have a better idea of whether to start him or Joe.

I have a feeling Joe isn't going to be back to normal this year. Or maybe even next.

He's been dealing with injury issues quite a bit over the last 3-4 years. He may be wearing down.

Lamar has got to protect himself better than he does though I will say as the game wore on he was less reckless with his body.

He also has to show me a good deal more in the pocket than he did in the Bengals game.

I do like the early looks of him, though.

Today, I think Lamar will only last a few games running at this pace. Even 50% of what he ran is too much.

Then comes the surgeries ect.

Unless he can be a proven effective passer, he's a wasted draft pick. The team will always need a very good back up QB for when he goes down. That says he's not a franchise QB.

Yes... I really loved watching him yesterday.

Put a run limit on him and once he goes past that, put RGG3 in. They have to get Joe back asap so Lamar can learn and develop into a Mike Vick run/pass ratio....like maybe 5 times a game.

Now...for the Dreamers...throw me in there.....if the RPO is the future of this league, then Lamar will lead the best RPO offense ever. :gorave:

If the Ravens stick with Jackson, his running style will cause matchup problems. All six of Baltimore's remaining opponents rank in the bottom half of the NFL in run defense: Oakland (No. 31), Atlanta (No. 21), Kansas City (No. 22), Tampa Bay (No. 19), the Los Angeles Chargers (No. 18) and Cleveland (No. 28).

Today, I think Lamar will only last a few games running at this pace. Even 50% of what he ran is too much.

Then comes the surgeries ect.

Unless he can be a proven effective passer, he's a wasted draft pick. The team will always need a very good back up QB for when he goes down. That says he's not a franchise QB.

Yes... I really loved watching him yesterday.

Put a run limit on him and once he goes past that, put RGG3 in. They have to get Joe back asap so Lamar can learn and develop into a Mike Vick run/pass ratio....like maybe 5 times a game.

That is what I have worried about since before the draft. Also his lack of accuracy.