ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

5 offensive linemen the Ravens should watch at the 2019 NFL scouting combine

papasmurfbell

https://ravenswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/01/5-offensive-linemen-the-ravens-should-watch-at-the-2019-nfl-scouting-combine/

Elgton Jenkins / C / Mississippi State:

Jenkins is the best-rated center in the 2019 draft class, according to Walterfootball.com and could be in play for the Ravens early in the draft.

Jenkins needs to show explosion from his hands during on-field blocking workouts. He often lets defenders a little too far into his frame, which can be worked on but he has to show a good first punch at the combine.

Michael Jordan / C/G / Ohio State:

Jordan is an interesting prospect Baltimore has seen mocked to them before, largely thanks to need and his versatility inside. Jordan measures up to be a serious force at 6-foot-6 and 310 pounds and could dominate the combine accordingly.

There are questions surrounding his footwork and technique, making the blocking drills important to watch to see how he sets his feet. The Ravens don’t ask their offensive linemen to pull as much as they used to, but the 20-yard shuttle will help show if Jordan can do that and still put power behind his blocks on the move.

Connor McGovern / C/G / Penn State:

McGovern was a key piece on an extremely talented Penn State line that helped Saquon Barkley become the second-overall pick last year. Still raw in pass protection, McGovern will have to impress at being physical to solidify his draft stock.

As a guard, being able to simply maul a defender and push him to the goal post is the priority here. An impressive bench press will help show that, as will a solid broad jump prove power in the lower body needed to stay tough inside.

Ben Powers / C/G / Oklahoma:

Powers is a guy not many people are expecting much from at the combine. Known for being tough and smart but not as big or athletic as most teams would want, Powers potentially has the most to earn on this list.

Given his supposed athletic issues, Powers can post up a good 10-yard split at the 40-yard dash and solid 20-yard shuttle to prove he’s more athletic than he’s given credit for. The bench press and broad jump to prove functional power are the next most important for him. Doing all of them well could push him forward out of the later round.

Cody Ford / T/G / Oklahoma:

Ford is widely considered to be one of the top offensive linemen in this draft class. For the Ravens, he’s being mocked right around when they select and as a capable tackle/guard prospect, they could be incredibly interested in how he does at the combine.

He’s pretty raw as a tackle, which could force him to slide inside to guard early on in his career. But he can get a huge bump if he impresses in a few drills that translate over to pass protection. His footwork in the blocking drills will be huge for him as will the broad jump. A poor showing at the bench press could be cause for concern though.

McGovern sounds like what we're looking for if he shows his power at the combine. Ford is a blue-chip prospect; wouldn't feel sorry if we got him in the first.

Wish we had a 2nd rounder to use on a WR. There's a lot of good ones out there this year but I think the best ones will be gone after middle second round.

How can you not like this guy: Super hands and talented route runner...

Riley Ridley, Georgia. Ridley might be the best route runner in this class, and add another plus to his resume: He has 10-inch hands. Like the other wideouts in this class, showing well in the drills will only improve his draft stock.

If Harmon and Metcalf are gone by 22, this guy is worth considering.

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/2019/03/02/alabamas-ross-pierschbacher-pitching-versatility-value-interior-ol/3034654002/

Alabama’s Pierschbacher pitching versatility, value as interior OL

“That’s one of my biggest selling points. I like to tell teams, ‘Hey, I’ve started in the SEC at all three interior positions. I know what it looks like to win, I know what it takes to win, and I’ve played at the highest level (in college football) at all three interior positions,’” Pierschbacher explained Thursday. “Obviously with the offensive line position in the NFL, they only carry seven guys, so (somebody’s) going to have to play multiple roles. So, I think that’s a huge bonus for me, and something that’s definitely going into my sales pitch to teams.”

Pierschbacher has started 40 career games at left guard, 15 games at center and two at right guard at the start of the 2016 season before moving back over to the right side for the final 13 games that year.

In total, Pierschbacher’s 57 career starts tied an Alabama program record for starts by position players, matching the total punter JK Scott had during his four-year career (2014-17).

It’s that sort of experience that he believes NFL teams covet, and creates a value that could keep him employed for a long time, regardless of whether or not he ever starts another game.

“Playing 57 games at all three interior positions is a huge attraction for (teams),” Pierschbacher said. “Being able to have a guy that’s a swing guy, (someone who’s) smart, tough and can play all three (interior line positions), I think they’ll stay around in the NFL for a long time.”

I like the confidence experience and pedigree. As a day 3 pick I would grab him.

Would any of you give up a 3rd rounder this year and a third rounder next year to get into this year's second round?

Do you think Decosta will trade Jimmy Smith for a second round pick or is that too high a compensation for him? Third might be more realistic, no?

https://www.si.com/2018/11/20/2019-nfl-draft-needs-positions-prospect-targets

12. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

Cornerbacks Ronald Darby and especially Jalen Mills have been susceptible to double moves and giving big plays over the top. Now, both are nearing the end of their contracts. Darby’s is up after this season, which he’s ending on IR thanks to a torn ACL. Mills’s deal expires in 2020. Even with youngsters Sidney Jones and Avonte Maddox ready for bigger roles, don’t be surprised if the Eagles go after a quality DB, particularly one with the versatility to play multiple positions, which this defense likes in its safeties and slot corners.

Maybe they can get their 2nd back.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2018/03/12/the-top-free-agent-needs-for-every-nfl-team/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.ce0d58f5eaab

Green Bay Packers

Needs: CB, offensive line, TE

Analysis: The general manager transition from Ted Thompson to Brian Gutekunst promises to make the Packers players in free agency for a change. They already have agreed to trade cornerback Damarious Randall to the Browns for quarterback DeShone Kizer. That bolsters the QB depth behind Aaron Rodgers but could leave the Packers looking for a cornerback. They also could use help on the interior of the offensive line, especially with guard Jahri Evans eligible for free agency.

Carolina Panthers

Needs: WR, RB, CB, safety

Analysis: Norv Turner was brought in as offensive coordinator to try to help quarterback Cam Newton develop as a passer. Giving Newton better receivers also would help. The Panthers have lined up a trade for Torrey Smith, but they shouldn’t stop there. After releasing Jonathan Stewart, Carolina also will need a running back to pair with Christian McCaffrey. The trade of Worley to the Eagles creates the possibility of a cornerback being added.

New England Patriots

Needs: CB, pass rush, LB, RB, TE, offensive line

Analysis: The expected departure of cornerback Malcolm Butler as a free agent, following his still-mysterious benching in the Super Bowl, creates a need at that position. The pass rush must be improved and linebacker help is needed. The offensive line requires work, and depth is needed at running back and tight end, especially with Rob Gronkowski’s talk of possible retirement.

AFC West

Kansas City Chiefs

Needs: CB, LB

Analysis: The trade of Peters to the Rams creates a big issue at cornerback, and it’s debatable whether the arrivals of Fuller and David Amerson are enough. A remaking of the defensive front seven might be in order.

KC might be the best option to shit him. They are on a win now footing. NE rarely trades for players. All the rest are a depends.