ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Let's Make It Official: It's a Rebuild

vmax

So many players are gone. It's crazy.

It started with Flacco and has been snowballing.

Like Eisenberg says....

Let me put it this way: Having already set out to rebuild their offense around quarterback Lamar Jackson, the Ravens now seemingly have to rebuild their defense, too.....https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/eisenberg-what-to-make-of-defense-s-reported-semi-seismic-shake-up

What the hell is Decosta up too?!

What did Martindale do to piss him off?

As a Ravens fan I have to look at this and think.

And that stresses me out.

Right now it looks like the Browns are going to win the North this year! :scared:

Stress Break!

under-construction-funny-meme-15.jpeg

OK. I'm going to minimize, justify and rationalize this:

They lost a ton of brains and leadership on defense. Suggs, Weddle and Mosley...but....(this is where I twist the truth to suit me)...BUT!....really... who and what did they lose that really hurts?

ZaDarius and CJ.You can't give Mosley a 5 year, 85 mil with 51 mil guaranteed. You can if you want to kill the CAP and hamstring this team.

The rest?

DeCosta is moving towards younger, faster, stronger....and CAP friendly contracts.

That's my spin and I'm sticking with it for....about 5 minutes.

See ya!

scared-ostrich-burying-head-sand-260nw-2

Edited by vmax

Well, I tell ya Max...Cleveland will win the AFC North this year and will be the best team in that division for several seasons.

Its the new normal.

Still, we really are trying to get stronger and faster and get REAL cap room which the franchise hasn't had since 2013. The question is, will they stick to the plan or join 'the sky is falling' model?

And WTF they might as well trade Jimmy Smith while they're at it. They ought to be able to get a decent pick for him.

Absolutely. This is rebuild. Go all in.

I guess this is why DeCosta said he wants to lock down players sooner

I would expect word on Stanley soon. This is so much smarter a move then what Ozzie did.

Might want to keep Smith now... Browns got obj

Nope. They are not working for 2019. They are working for the long term future.

I was looking for a history on Eric pre Ravens. Wiki seems to be the only one I can find. The problem is it has him coming from Trinity College then the Ravens. I just was not sure if there was a landing between and when it happened.

I am loving Eric's approach. You can't get killed in the cap no matter who the player is. That was one of Ozzie's great failings. It is why the cap was always a shambles. This approach really reminds me of Bil in NE. Ppl were flipping out bc his OT just left. He doesn't care. NE with the size of that deal will get a 3rd round comp pick for a dude they created. NE has so much draft equity this yr and almost every yr. They also alwasy win. Copy the strategy.

Except we aren't and wont be NE. They'll soon be yesterday's news once either Brady suffers a big injury or Bellichick is done. Look for that in the next 1-2 years, if not sooner.

Yes, they created an amazingly successful dynasty and model for every NFL team to try and emulate.

We and others might have learned/taken something from this model but its time to start our own -its happening before our eyes.

Lets see what DeCosta & Co have up their sleeves.

No landing, just wanted to learn and nice his way up in the organization. The draft just got really interesting.

So technically we have 4 comp picks coming our way... Is there a date or rule when anyone we sign will NOT count against the pick formula. I keep hearing about Ingram, and I'm assuming he will negate a pick.

OK so players that were cut or are not UFAs will not count against the pick formula...I think I just read that.

This is what I read about Eric: https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/eric-decosta-s-rise-to-general-manager-is-a-story-for-the-dreamers

"Eric DeCosta’s introduction as the Ravens’ new general manager is a story for all the dreamers and interns out there.

The dream took root when he was just 6 years old at the bus stop in Taunton, Mass. In 1996, the English major from Colby College was one of Ozzie Newsome’s first entry-level hires in Baltimore, and one of DeCosta’s jobs was taking then Head Coach Ted Marchibroda’s car for oil changes. Marcibroda would give him $100 and tell him to keep the change, so DeCosta found a $9.99 special up the road."

Thomas was a no brainer...Losing Suggs/Weddle/Mosley was a big loss of Football IQ during game time and everything I'm reading thus far indicates his signing will smooth that over.

Ingram I don't get other than insurance if we don't draft a RB or the two we have left don't pan out...

Love the signings.

The Ravens secondary should be one of the best in the NFL.

The addition of Thomas fills out a solid defensive backfield that currently features Thomas and Tony Jefferson in the back end; Marlon Humphrey, Jimmy Smith and Brandon Carr as outside cornerbacks; and Tavon Young in the slot.

That's pretty damn good. :gorave:

Thomas is a leader. He's a playmaker and the most feared ball hawk in Baltimore since Ed Reed. He's a critical first piece in rebuilding the best defense in the league........Thomas also will make quarterbacks -- the Ravens play Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes, Jared Goff, Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson this season -- think twice about throwing deep. Last season, cornerbacks Jimmy Smith, Brandon Carr and Marlon Humphrey led Baltimore with two interceptions each. Thomas had three interceptions last season -- in four games. Thomas' 28 interceptions are the third most in the NFL since 2010.....http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/49014/boom-ravens-make-their-biggest-splash-ever-with-earl-thomas

Edited by vmax

Winners

Baltimore Ravens

After a rough start to free agency that saw their defense plundered, the Ravens had a nice rebound in the secondary market. It's the best place to bounce back because the deals are better, including Baltimore's contract for Mark Ingram, a reported three-year deal worth $15 million, which is a really nice bargain for Baltimore relative to the other running backs that signed this offseason. The Ravens needed a reliable option who can between the tackles and catch passes out of the backfield and Ingram is just that. He was chased out of New Orleans after the Saints signed Latavius Murray to pair with Alvin Kamara, and now he should get the lion's share of carries in what remains a somewhat confusing offense.

Baltimore also made a big splash in the safety market, signing Earl Thomas to a four-year deal worth an impressive $55 million. To anyone who thought Earl wouldn't earn his money on the market, you got faced. It's not a crazy deal either: like many contracts, it could end up being a three-year deal and Thomas could be exactly what Eric Weddle was for the Ravens the last few years, a veteran safety with a secondary career renaissance. Thomas is a Hall of Famer with the cerebral ability to clean up mistakes on the back end and the playmaking, ball-hawking skills to give this defense a massive boost.....https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-free-agency-day-3-ravens-bounce-back-as-winners-odell-beckham-trade-still-hard-to-grasp/

:gorave: