ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Favorable

vmax

This seems like a favorable, yet not unreasonable view of the Ravens.

It covers the whole current situation in the AFC North and is a good read.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/four-takeaways-from-the-afc-norths-crazy-offseason-that-rearranged-the-power-structure-in-favor-of-the-browns/

3. Ravens are also well positioned for the future

What the Ravens did last year was remarkable. In the middle of the season, they actually managed to swap out a long-entrenched starter for a rookie who couldn't really throw the ball with accuracy on a consistent basis and still win the AFC North.

Having already made the difficult, but entirely necessary switch away from Joe Flacco and to Lamar Jackson, the Ravens entered the offseason knowing that they needed to build around Jackson. Though they wound up losing linebacker C.J. Mosley, pass rushers Terrell Suggs and Za'Darius Smith, and safety Eric Weddle, the Ravens did well to land Earl Thomas -- the best single-high safety in football -- and running back Mark Ingram in free agency. They've yet to address their holes up front (offensive coordinator Greg Roman has talked about the importance of building a strong offensive line in front of Jackson) or at wide receiver (their best receiver might actually be Willie Snead), but the draft is still to come.

In short, this Ravens team is still very flawed after free agency. They got better in some areas (safety and running back), but worse in others (linebacker and the pass rush). Ingram and Thomas are two strong additions, but the losses of Mosley, Suggs, and Smith, and their lack of a starting-caliber receiver can't be ignored. Unless they have an incredible draft, the Ravens are going to enter the upcoming season as a good, but flawed team that is hoping its young quarterback can make the leap as a passer from erratic to consistent. Don't be surprised if they adopt a run-heavy approach once again and lean on their defense.But the Ravens should remain competitive. Under John Harbaugh since 2008, they've finished below .500 only once. This past season, they went 10-6, finished sixth in DVOA, and ranked sixth in point differential. They did that with Flacco (a bad starting quarterback) and Jackson (a developmental rookie). If Jackson can take a moderate step forward as a passer while maintaining his explosiveness as a runner, and if the defense can remain one of the league's bests, the Ravens should be back there competing with the Steelers for a playoff spot...Unlike the Steelers, the Ravens are well positioned in the long term with a promising, young quarterback. The key is Jackson. If he takes the next step as a passer, the Ravens should return to the playoffs in the short term too....https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/four-takeaways-from-the-afc-norths-crazy-offseason-that-rearranged-the-power-structure-in-favor-of-the-browns/

Id give him 1 year. Either he straightens out his mechanics in 2019 or not. I know he doesnt have a great albeit decent line and not a plethora of receivers. But he can either fix or not fix his throwing mechanics.

I personally think 2019 will go much like the last playofff game vs the Chargers. If so, Id be gearing up for a QB change in 2020 and getting in line for the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes.

I want Lamar to succeed but I really wonder about his run first mentality and erratic passing. He was just a rookie but they need him to make a big step up this year. O-line and WR are priorities and I probably would go with WR in the first round now as opposed to my previous feelings. It is quite possible to find a good O-lineman in round 3 but the odds of a very good receiver being there are very low.

It was a good article. I don't see the Ravens making it to the playoffs this year, maybe next. They have soooo many needs and the Browns will be rocking and rolling. They would have to have an incredible draft to come up with a starting WR and OG and some pass rushers to get into the January games.

Eric has his hands full of problems to be solved; that's for sure.

dr-strangelove-peter-sellers.jpg?w=450"What do you think Mike?"

Maybe the greatest consolation for Ravens fans is that the Cleveland Browns are still the Cleveland Browns.

That’s their hope.

The Browns appear to have loaded up for the 2019 season with their own dream team, but if there is one franchise that could turn this into a nightmare, it’s Cleveland......https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-browns-dream-team-preston-20190320-story.html