#1 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,664 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:52 PM

https://www.baltimor...s-ring-of-honor

Super Bowl-Winning Coach Brian Billick to Join Ravens Ring of Honor

Former Head Coach Brian Billick will be inducted this year into the franchise’s Ring of Honor presented by Meritage Jewelers, Ravens Owner Steve Bisciotti announced Wednesday.

Why?  A guy who quit on the team twice?  A guy who ruined a SB ready team with the drafting and piss poor dev of Boller deserves to be in the ring?

37460d1337276897-ravens-promote-eric-dec

I am better at this than my predecessor.

#2 OutsideRzAcE

OutsideRzAcE

The Franchise

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 09:20 PM

What are you referring to when you say he quit on the team? I think BB was a critical part of changing the culture to a team that expected to compete and embraced success. At the very least he was smart enough to embrace and amplify the swagger of a Ray Lewis.

I would think a SB winning coach is a no brainer much less the first SB for the Franchise.
Posted Image

#3 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,664 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 10:00 PM

It has been well talked about over the yrs.  He told the team twice he had his money so they could do what they want.  

#4 oldno82

oldno82

Veteran

• PipPipPip
  • 3,599 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 11:33 PM

It's true Brian wore out his message here but I do think he should go in the ROH. First Ravens Super Bowl win for the franchise gets him in.

Of course, any plan to solidify the passing game depends largely on how much Jackson improves as a passer in his second pro season. While he made some plays with his arm as a rookie, he wasn’t as consistently accurate as anyone wanted. He acknowledged to reporters earlier this month that he knew his mechanics needed work.

Jackson said he has been working on those mechanics and other aspects of his passing since February.

#5 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,664 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 04:32 AM

I give nore credit to Ray and Marvin.

#6 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,664 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 04:38 AM

Also running a SB ready team into the ground should care consequences.

#7 vmax

vmax

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,178 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 04:39 AM

Fans forget the times and what the organization was like before Billick.

They were an under achieving roster and poorly structured organization.There was a lot of hate and Billick was extremely loyal to Art Model. He took on all that hate to ease the pressure on the others.

He created a structure of accountability within the organization. He introduced technology where there was none.

He assembled great coaching staffs.Together they developed the personnel that they had to the max and assisted in fostering the swagger of those players into a team identity and group that consistently found ways to win.

Before Billie they consistently found ways to lose.

The Darkside...Super Bowl...yea...he's definitely belongs in the Ring.

billick.jpg

“[Lamar] was amazing last year, and then they add in Mark Ingram,” Burleson said. “We forget how strong and angry of a runner he is. … [The Ravens] are just getting started. I think people assume that Lamar Jackson isn’t going to pass the ball this year, and I will tell you right now you are wrong. He’s going to light up the skies and torch the ground like he did last year.”

“Put on 20 pounds of muscle over the offseason,” Hurst said. “I’m kind of on a mission this year. I’ve got a lot to prove.”

#8 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,664 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:27 AM

I fully recall what it was like with Ted.  Art made a bad mistake firing Bill when he got here.  But really that foundation bill built in Cle flowered here in the yrs later.  Billick rode that foundation as well.

#9 vmax

vmax

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,178 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:28 PM

I fully recall what it was like with Ted.  Art made a bad mistake firing Bill when he got here.  But really that foundation bill built in Cle flowered here in the yrs later.  Billick rode that foundation as well.

What foundation?

The one that gave us the 4-12 '96 season? The 6-9-1 '97 season? the 6-10 '98 season?

Yea...they looked like the Browns.

None of Bills coaches survived here.

Now...the inability for fans to obtain any information about the team and what was going on....that was probably Bills influence.

“[Lamar] was amazing last year, and then they add in Mark Ingram,” Burleson said. “We forget how strong and angry of a runner he is. … [The Ravens] are just getting started. I think people assume that Lamar Jackson isn’t going to pass the ball this year, and I will tell you right now you are wrong. He’s going to light up the skies and torch the ground like he did last year.”

“Put on 20 pounds of muscle over the offseason,” Hurst said. “I’m kind of on a mission this year. I’ve got a lot to prove.”

#10 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,664 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 06:46 PM

The one that left a coaching tree that spread around the league.  Many of Billick's coaching tree were guys Bill trained first.  Also the scouting dept was put together by him too.

#11 vmax

vmax

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,178 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 04:02 AM

The one that left a coaching tree that spread around the league.  Many of Billick's coaching tree were guys Bill trained first.  Also the scouting dept was put together by him too.

There were none on the Ravens when Billick got here.

#12 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,664 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 05:38 AM

Yep Phil Savage was not Ozzie's #2.

#13 vmax

vmax

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,178 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 02:54 PM

Yep Phil Savage was not Ozzie's #2.

That's correct. and...He was a flop as a GM.

Phil was not a coach.

He's one guy. How does one guy suddenly become Bills Foundation that built the Ravens?

More than half of Billicks coaches came right from the college ranks the rest from the Bill Walsh tree. None worked under Bellicheat.

#14 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,664 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 02:25 PM

OK.  Was he not good as an assistant here?  Most everyone who was an assistant under Bill were bad HCs.  Doesn't mean they were not very good at coaching a position or side of the ball.

Also Pioli has been a very good GM.  I guess Ozzie was a total loser also.

#15 Spen

Spen

Pro Bowler

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 03:35 PM

Nice move, he certainly belongs there.
Hi.

#16 vmax

vmax

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,178 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:04 PM

funny-newspaper-article-job-angry.jpg

#17 oldno82

oldno82

Veteran

• PipPipPip
  • 3,599 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:31 PM

:scared:

Of course, any plan to solidify the passing game depends largely on how much Jackson improves as a passer in his second pro season. While he made some plays with his arm as a rookie, he wasn’t as consistently accurate as anyone wanted. He acknowledged to reporters earlier this month that he knew his mechanics needed work.

Jackson said he has been working on those mechanics and other aspects of his passing since February.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users