ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Of all the millennial crap- Runningback union

tsylvester

Really? A seperate union because your agents don't fight harder to get more money for you? A seperate union because your position is a dime a dozen?

I get that your position is the shortest lived because of the pounding you take in highschool, college and then the pros, but g-willikers, a seperate union is not going to make one difference to the owners...

The NFLs current compensation system does not fairly compensate running backs. An effort has been launched to change that.

Via Bloomberg.com, a petition has been filed with the National Labor Relations Board to create a separate union for NFL running backs.

In a petition dated August 6, the International Brotherhood of Professional Running Backs identifies Veronica Patton as the executive director of the group. The petition, which technically seeks clarification of the broader NFLPA bargaining unit, explains that the rookie wage contract is economically harmful to workers in skill group (RB), but advantageous to players in skill group (QB), and that the current one-size fits all approach to NFL players is inappropriate.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/15/effort-emerges-to-create-separate-union-for-running-backs/

What's the average amount of career years for all players in the NFL?

So they are different?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/240102/average-player-career-length-in-the-national-football-league/

When I accepted my job, I agreed to a salary with bonus's. If I don't like what I'm getting paid, then I can leave. Or stay. I'm not a prisoner.

These guys also are not prisoners.

Perhaps they are worried about younger players taking their jobs.

They should be.

And these young guys have just as much right to a job in the NFL if they have the talent and abilities to make an NFL roster.

And if they don't like the pay, then they can go elsewhere.

Preach Max, these atheletes and some in the media are going way over board calling them selves or the players slaves, prisoners, the owners plantation owners.

They have a choice, they not only bargin for their salary but also for their league salaries, team salary %.

If you want more money per, then either bargin for more or find new work. A new union just for a position.. I doubt this goes anywhere, the real union would not allow it.

Rbs average career length is a little over 2 yrs. Also now rbs are being seen as a dime a dozen position. So many even good ones don't really get that 2nd deal which is supposed to be forever money. Also so many of the really good ones are late rounders so they play those cheap years and don't get that deal.

They can try and work with a team to get a five year deal from their draft, with guarenteed money even if the salary is just the lowest allowed. But they choose to only take the minimum years with the most money then spend it on bling.

They spend it quickly because they are young and have little financial experience.

Trying to blame the union for them only lasting two years is a typical everyone gets a trophy, millennial cop out.

Eat healthy, work out properly, share the load in college, you will last longer in the NFL. It is not the owners' fault that they can get the same production from healthier younger backs for less salary.

Just do real math, not this 2+2= 6 crap. Five years, at rookie min = more money than 2 years at some ludicrous looking salary that will never be paid with a large signing bonus.

Go to any union in this country and see the salaries for certain positions, they are different not just in what each position makes, but in what they can top out at through their life at said position.

This is no different, qb's top out more because they have more say in where the ball goes, they affect the game more, relatively speaking. Sure, there are a few outliers, but by & large.

That is life, as I said don't like, find a new position or a new career.

Tackles top out more than gaurds & centers, I don't hear those players looking to make a new union.

Back in the day, many very good players quit the game because they could make more money in a "regular" job than in the NFL, and with less wear & tear on their bodies.

Shoot, my father turned down a contract from the Boston Celtics back in the late 50's because he had a family to support and could make more money in a regular job.

These kids need to grow up. Work hard, eat right, be glad to have great medical, dental, oh and an average of $480,000 per year, league minimum, not counting bonus and any sponsorships...

Go to any union in this country and see the salaries for certain positions, they are different not just in what each position makes, but in what they can top out at through their life at said position.

This is no different, qb's top out more because they have more say in where the ball goes, they affect the game more, relatively speaking. Sure, there are a few outliers, but by & large.

That is life, as I said don't like, find a new position or a new career.

Tackles top out more than gaurds & centers, I don't hear those players looking to make a new union.

Back in the day, many very good players quit the game because they could make more money in a "regular" job than in the NFL, and with less wear & tear on their bodies.

Shoot, my father turned down a contract from the Boston Celtics back in the late 50's because he had a family to support and could make more money in a regular job.

These kids need to grow up. Work hard, eat right, be glad to have great medical, dental, oh and an average of $480,000 per year, league minimum, not counting bonus and any sponsorships...

So because things were screwed up years ago players shouldn't fight for what they think they deserve now? Cute.

Please old man, give more advice to these young players that you have so much in common with. And scoff at the younger generations the previous ones did such a fantastic job of fucking over.

Then again, I guess the players could get less so the ones that really deserve it - the owners - get more.....

It's pretty amazing how big sports are in the US when so many fans look look upon the players with such disdain every time they do or say anything off the field where said fans cheer them wildly.

So true. I'm guilty of that. especially if the player is on a "hated rival" team. :leon1:

We've also turned sports players lives into "reality TV." Off the field behavior is now heavily covered by a media that is searching for one misstep. Controversy sells. And so many players have exemplary behavior yet that's not newsworthy. It doesn't sell.

That's living in America. Nothings ever good enough. What have you done for me lately? And then, "you have to think, act and behave the way that I want you too."

I guess that's part of the human condition; many people have "a little bit of troll in them." ...and the NFL agents should advise players "Please don't feed the Trolls." :fishin:

So because things were screwed up years ago players shouldn't fight for what they think they deserve now? Cute.

Please old man, give more advice to these young players that you have so much in common with. And scoff at the younger generations the previous ones did such a fantastic job of fucking over.

Then again, I guess the players could get less so the ones that really deserve it - the owners - get more.....

Well, I guess I did not explain my self properly; sorry about that Spen.

My point is that yes, they can fight for what they think they deserve, but they have a union and agent already to help them. There is no need to get a seperate union, that would mean another, seperate CBA as well.

What, should every position have its own union?

Players have choices in this league, fair, honest choices. As I said the best way to have a long career is by what a player does off the field, taking care of his body. If a runningback does this, he stands a chance to a long term player, look at Frank Gore, never got the monster deal because of all of his injuries. But he played many years and was very productive because he took care of him slef off the field and becuase his agent & union made sure he got good contracts. He made millions.

Then you look at Iky Woods, great talent, did not take care of his body off the field, had a ton of injuries. How many years dis he play? Three.

If the union is not representing them well then they should put them on notice.

I am not getting your point.

Didn't you once mock a player for missing a game after a death in his family and say something to the effect that you don't care about them off the field? Maybe it wasn't you.

Well, I guess I did not explain my self properly; sorry about that Spen.

My point is that yes, they can fight for what they think they deserve, but they have a union and agent already to help them. There is no need to get a seperate union, that would mean another, seperate CBA as well.

What, should every position have its own union?

Players have choices in this league, fair, honest choices. As I said the best way to have a long career is by what a player does off the field, taking care of his body. If a runningback does this, he stands a chance to a long term player, look at Frank Gore, never got the monster deal because of all of his injuries. But he played many years and was very productive because he took care of him slef off the field and becuase his agent & union made sure he got good contracts. He made millions.

Then you look at Iky Woods, great talent, did not take care of his body off the field, had a ton of injuries. How many years dis he play? Three.

I'm not going to condemn or mock players attempts to be what they consider fairly compensated. Is a second union the answer or would it work? Not sure, but I don't blame them for exploring all options.

A player taking great care of himself through diet and exercise can still blow out a knee, have concussion issue or many other things out of their control. I'm ok with them getting what they can as soon as they can.

But they need to care about themselves. Once signed I expect them on the field.

They certainly should care about themselves and for themselves, I'd never suggest otherwise.

I thought it was you. You're a good example a fan who has disdain for the players. But with you i do not expect anything else.

Also fans being upset if a player misses a game due to a death in the family or personal tragedy is an extreme example. Most fans are not upset by things like this, most normal adults have empathy for others. Luckily only a small percentage of people are that big of assholes.

A little off topic yet very serious....

Le'Ron McClain issued a cry for help on Saturday morning. The retired fullback, who played in the NFL for seven years for the Chiefs, Ravens and Chargers, took to Twitter to share his feelings in a moment of what seemed to be tremendous pain. " I have to get my head checked," McClain tweeted at 6:30 a.m. ET. "Playing fullback since high school. Its takes too (expletive) much to do anything. My brain is (expletive) tired…. @ NFL i need some help with this shyt. Dark times and its showing. (Expletive) help me please!! They dont care I had to get lawyers man! … Like im mad im pissed im crying im upset im a (expletive) mess!!!! Please man."....https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/retired-nfl-fullback-leron-mcclain-pleads-for-help-i-have-to-get-my-head-checked/ar-AAGjpTZ?ocid=spartandhp