ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Offense Chokes in Pittsburgh

vmax

I hear you Spen. That's true.

I have to believe that with Flacco, Rice, Heap, Bouldin, TJ, Mason ect, that quite a few OC's would have got better production and execution out of that group than Cam did this year. He never could get them to take that next step.

I absolutely agree that with that talent the offense should have been better. Where I disagree with a lot of people is that I think Cam is handcuffed with a QB who hasnt developed the way they expected.

I feel like this is deja vu. The QB waiting game. When will Flacco turn the corner and step up his game? When will he see the whole field? When will he go thru his progressions? When will they turn the offense over to Flacco? When will he make the best decisions? Sounds like our old rookie Boller. Granted Flacco shows more promise. But is he an NFL caliber QB? I for one am not certain. I'm not bashing him its just what I feel after and during the 2010 season.

I absolutely agree that with that talent the offense should have been better. Where I disagree with a lot of people is that I think Cam is handcuffed with a QB who hasnt developed the way they expected.

I'm seriously considering what you say here and have posted about Joe this year. I mean...identify the flaw in his game...what he just cannot do...and work around that. Maybe Cam is. Cam is not an idiot. He's a brilliant OC and a very good man. I really like him. He has character and guts.

Mirror image in games. Packers score 21 unanswered points...go into half up by 14...just like the Ravens.

Open second half? Rodgers is throwing, completing passes...they are running and guess what? They just scored a TD. Now they are up by 21...crowd has the 10,000 yard stare...silent...

That's the opportunity the Ravens blew. If they could have scored the first points of the second half....the crowd, energy and Steeler momentum would have been gone for the day.

Mirror image in games. Packers score 21 unanswered points...go into half up by 14...just like the Ravens.

Open second half? Rodgers is throwing, completing passes...they are running and guess what? They just scored a TD. Now they are up by 21...crowd has the 10,000 yard stare...silent...

That's the opportunity the Ravens blew. If they could have scored the first points of the second half....the crowd, energy and Steeler momentum would have been gone for the day.

And Ben and Rodgers has been in the league for 6-7 years, Ryan and Flacco is still boys in POs.

I'm seriously considering what you say here and have posted about Joe this year. I mean...identify the flaw in his game...what he just cannot do...and work around that. Maybe Cam is. Cam is not an idiot. He's a brilliant OC and a very good man. I really like him. He has character and guts.

The problem however, is that he, and the entire offense, is exactly where the Steelers offense was in 2006. When you have been such a dominant run team for so long, as both our teams have been, the transition to throwing the ball, trusting the pass, allowing your line to transition to a pass offense, and letting your QB go through the growth curve is brutal. We are STILL dealing with it, as you can see by Ben's sacks.

Personally, I think the Ravens would be foolish to even CONSIDER giving up on Flacco. He is a good talent that will deliver. I think the problem, is that he hasn't been surrounded by WR talent that is young, and can grow WITH HIM. As a result, this year Flacco had to learn how to play with veteran receivers from different systems that expected things done their way. Keep Cam, Keep Flacco, draft a young WR or two, let them grow, begin to retool the D (couple three years will see the retirement of Ed and Ray probably), and prepare for a number of years of Flacco/Ben battles that will probably turn in your favor a lot more than I would like.

Dapetes,

How would you know how fast Bulger gets the ball out? When was the last time you saw him throw a pass?

During the preseason. He was releasing the ball very quickly. The Ravens had mentioned before the last game at Cincy that Bulger would see some playing time in the game. Hey maybe he flops but worse then that is he would be successful, Instant QB controversy. So for one reason or another he threw no passes during the regular season. I watch baseball and when the pitcher doesn't have it for any reason and at anytime they change pitchers. Not so in football. It would have been nice to see Bulger with my own eyes flop. Then I would be more apt to settle on Flacco at this stage of his career. With Bulgers experience he might have utilized the weapons we had more efficiently. Maybe not. It was worth a try.