ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Age or obsession?

cravnravn

The Jets win is just a pound of salt in the wound of the Ravens mega blown opportunity.

I'm so shell shocked it doesn't matter. I surrender.

We could have been waking up to the AFC Championship being played here in Baltimore. Think about that opportunity.

IMO...the next 3-4 years depends on how the Ravens respond to this. They could tank for a few years with they players they will be losing. The coaching staff could lose this team. Shit like this happens.

The Ravens playoff success is on a downward slope, IMO. The only way they hit an upswing is by winning the division and securing a first-round bye. Do you see that happening, because I don't.

I can't see it at this time. I need free agency, the draft, roster moves/changes, coaching changes...I need to have more info to see which way the wind will blow.

Now...Ozzie sees it all. I trust him. Remember the roster purge of 2002? Only Ray and McAlister were left on that D. McCrary was too injured to be a factor. The team rebounded in 1 year with all kinds of garbage at QB.

The Brain Trust...and that is all that matters and is significant...can keep this train on the track. Past history and performance by the Front Office gives me hope....but there is a lot of work and changes to do because there are key players getting older and more injury prone...there is a clock ticking "saying get young now"

Solidify the lines and no matter what you are competitive every game.

Might not make the playoffs next year. This team may not respond.

The Gaither injury effected us more than people want to admit. He's a big part of what went down this season.

I agree. That put most of the players on the line out of position so they weren't playing to their strengths.

Looking ahead...here's part of the puzzle...what pieces fit and stay?

A look at the UFAs: QB Marc Bulger; LB Prescott Burgess; CB Chris Carr; G-C Chris Chester; K Billy Cundiff; OT Jared Gaither; LS Kevin Houser; WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh; P Sam Koch; SS Dawan Landry; FB Le'Ron McClain; OT Tony Moll; DT Haloti Ngata; WR Donte' Stallworth; CB Fabian Washington; CB Josh Wilson; and OT-G Marshal Yanda.

There are nine restricted free agents: OT Oniel Cousins; DT Lamar Divens; LB Tavares Gooden; LB Jameel McClain; FS Haruki Nakamura; RB Jalen Parmele; WR Marcus Smith; DT Kelly Talavou; and SS Tom Zbikowski.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2011/01/potential_ravens_free_agents.html

The Ravens are real vulnerable here. Teams will be lining up to raid the roster.

Forgot to answer your question crav.

We've been through this before...it's not fun, but it's part of the game and it's only a game. You know the drill...we have this board to vent on...we have Terps basketball to get all upset about...March Maddness...the Derby...a lot of posters here are into the Orioles....move on...move on...

On the age thing...sometime during a Ravens game in the last 3 weeks I said to my son "Why am I doing this too myself? I'm too old for this!" :D

I wouldn't have it any other way. It's good to get excited and worked up.

Obsession? FAN-atic...that's us. Face it...we love our football. I'm grateful to have a non-serious outlet/escape with all the daily chores, duties and responsibilities. Otherwise everyday, all day, would be serious stuff. Everybody needs a healthy escape. It's only a game....not our life, but it's something I enjoy. It's entertainment. None of our lives or our happiness should hinge on how well the Ravens do. If it does then IMO it's a problem.

pic12.gif"That's about as philosophical as I'll get. I do better spouting nonsense." :)

I can't see it at this time. I need free agency, the draft, roster moves/changes, coaching changes...I need to have more info to see which way the wind will blow.

Now...Ozzie sees it all. I trust him. Remember the roster purge of 2002? Only Ray and McAlister were left on that D. McCrary was too injured to be a factor. The team rebounded in 1 year with all kinds of garbage at QB.

The Brain Trust...and that is all that matters and is significant...can keep this train on the track. Past history and performance by the Front Office gives me hope....but there is a lot of work and changes to do because there are key players getting older and more injury prone...there is a clock ticking "saying get young now"

Solidify the lines and no matter what you are competitive every game.

Might not make the playoffs next year. This team may not respond.

Eh. I'm not sure it matters what the Ravens improve on personnel-wise at this point. It is more a look back at the improvements they have made in the last year and the results that followed. Three years. Three playoff appearances. Two divisional weekend losses, one AFC championship loss (to a divisional team) and the results remain the same: Can't beat the Colts. Can't beat the Steelers. That's not an analysis for free agency, the draft, roster moves/changes, or coaching changes. It is what it is, and what it's always been.

I feel your pain guys. It always feel worse right after the loss. We went into this season with such high expecatations, even without a LT (Gaither), Foxworth (our only strong CB) and no legit pass rusher (outside of Suggs). When you stop and think about it, we were very, very fortunate to have gone 13-5.

Still, given the flaws, we were a Joe Flacco fumble (by Troy Polamalu) in December from winning the Division, and a 3rd Q meltdown Saturday from hosting the AFCC Game. With all our flaws, we were in the hunt. In know, close but no cigar.

I predicted last Summer, much to most everyones chagrin, a 9-7 to 11-5 team in 2010, mostly because of the above weaknesses or holes. The past is over but the same holes still exist and now will become larger due the FA losses, retirements, etc.

In order for this team to succeed next year and the years to follow, this must happen (in my opinion):

1. The FO needs to seriously consider replacments for OC and DC. Its time for a change in philosophy; a fresher look, approach.

2. FO needs a strong draft - we have whiffed the last 2 years. You cant ignore what our friends in Pittsburgh are doing. We are falling behind. We absolutely have a to draft or a strong pass rusher, a CB or safety on D, a strong LT, Center and a WR with speed. A bigger, stronger RB to eventually replace Willis would be wise.

3. The organization needs to have a transition plan for positions occupied by Ray, Ed, Birk and Mason.

We may take a step back next season (if there is a season), even if we have a successful offseason. But if we arent effective in the above moves, we may take a bigger slide.

Lastly, Joe takes a lot of grief but consider his season - 25 TD, 10 Ints, 3000 yds + - yet he was sacked the 2nd or 3rd most of all NFL QBs. I belive he can take this team to the next level but he needs the right OC, a complete, solid OL, a solid running game (again), and a group of WRs with character and chemistry. If we arent careful, Joe could easily becomse another Boller or Grbac.

We've got a good thing. We just have to hope the FO makes the right decisions- its all in their hands !

40 sacks for Flacco, thats way too many, that should be a tell tail sign of where the problem is.

Now we have to see who and who is not going to retire, that could be a big factor in where we go in this draft.

I could see Birk, Ray and Ed hanging up the cleets.

The Ravens playoff success is on a downward slope, IMO. The only way they hit an upswing is by winning the division and securing a first-round bye. Do you see that happening, because I don't.

We can forget about winning the division until we can beat the Bengals consistently. If the Steelers are down we lose the North title to the Bengals because we can't beat them, or - if the Bengals are down, we lose the North title to the Steelers because we can't sweep the Bengals.

You think you have it bad Crav. Try getting over this loss in Pittsburgh with stupid Steelers fans gloating in your face every 5 minutes. I was find till I ventured out the house today!

I know I dont have it as bad as anyone in Pittsburgh, but Im shocked at the amt of neighbors that I have are Steelers fans and Im doubley shocked at the amt of people that came through my work yesterday with some smart assed Steeler comment, and my work is in Cockeysville!!!!

Don't expect things to change people. Harbaugh is just continuing what he learned during his time in Philly, namely to always contend but never win. Andy Reid taught him well. Likewise Cameron has the same history while Mattison has none, at least not at the pro level. Who exactly on this coaching staff is going to make these guys into winners when history shows they themselves have always been losers. We saw something we've never seen before this year, a Ravens team that tanks...over and over again. If that's what "play like a Raven" means Coach Harbaugh, no thanks.

That is what I have been saying. They are not advancing. At some point they start backwards. The team needs to bite the bullet and retool.

I've only recently cooled off over this latest PO loss. Even my steelers-fan brother knew to wait 48 hours before calling me. Anyway I have no problem with semi-reserved fanaticism even for us 40+ers, but it's really taxing to go that route and get this in meager return. I don't wanna see see Flacco and Rice fold like this again unless they do it along side a younger core of players that they have a chance to adapt with instead of adapt to. So..., I would be totally fine with cutting the fat and BS from this team and retooling with some younger players that can grow underneath Flacco, Rice, Ngata, etc. and rise to their level, instead of having the growth of our most promising young players being compromised by the weightiness of older players. I vote for a youth (and depth) movement.

I've only recently cooled off over this latest PO loss. Even my steelers-fan brother knew to wait 48 hours before calling me. Anyway I have no problem with semi-reserved fanaticism even for us 40+ers, but it's really taxing to go that route and get this in meager return. I don't wanna see see Flacco and Rice fold like this again unless they do it along side a younger core of players that they have a chance to adapt with instead of adapt to. So..., I would be totally fine with cutting the fat and BS from this team and retooling with some younger players that can grow underneath Flacco, Rice, Ngata, etc. and rise to their level, instead of having the growth of our most promising young players being compromised by the weightiness of older players. I vote for a youth (and depth) movement.

I think I'm coming around to the same occlusions. Not positive yet because I'm still in too much pain.