ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Source: Billy Cundiff reaches five-year, $15 million deal with Ravens

thundercleetz

There are no rules right now. they have to negotiate them. They could end up not having any tags. If so he is just out there for the bid he likes best.

And if there is a lockout no one else can sign him until this whole mess is resolved. I guess we will just have to see what happens. We have until March 31 to sign him, who knows what will happen.

I think I read somewhere that Free Agency would begin when the lockout ended and teams would hold the rights to their free agents until then allowing them to negotiate "exclusively" until free agency began. The talk around the senior bowl was that the draft could come before free agency if no agreement was reached by the end of March.

That is not great for Ozzie as he likes to fill holes in free agency and then draft BPA but I'm sure we can make it work.

I think I read somewhere that Free Agency would begin when the lockout ended and teams would hold the rights to their free agents until then allowing them to negotiate "exclusively" until free agency began. The talk around the senior bowl was that the draft could come before free agency if no agreement was reached by the end of March.

That is not great for Ozzie as he likes to fill holes in free agency and then draft BPA but I'm sure we can make it work.

Bad news for Oz, but great news for us! Oz has been ignoring needs in the draft for too long. Generally speaking and for the most part I have really liked Oz's drafts. However the past 2 years have been terrible. I'm also questioning whether he's drafting BPA anymore. It seems to me he's more drafting on "perceived potential" and trying to hit a HR rather than drafting some solid players that may never be super stars but would fill holes desperately needed.

I'm not criticizing Oz for trying, he had a plan and he executed it. However, for whatever reason, the FA's and the Drafted players the past couple of years just aren't working out. (Kreuger, Cody the 1st, etc.) He needs to realize that while he may have a good offseason strategy, the moves made have not returned the expected results. As a result, for at least the next two years we need to adjust the offseason strategy to get this team back on track. That means reacquiring lost draft picks for FA's picked up and drafting true BPA. We need some good players in here, some solid "role" players in here.

Finally Oz needs to think about what he's going to do about Ray's replacement. He should draft a MLB if he finds one that he likes and move Ray to OLB. This will absolutely extend Ray's career. I liken it to swithching a corner to safety.

If Ozzie had stayed where he was in the 1st round in 2010 he could have grabbed Devin McCourty, Jared Odrick, Kyle Wilson, or Patrick Robinson which filled out the remainers of the 1st round.

The only thing I question Ozzie on with Kindle are the red flags. There is no way to know he would do a header down the stairs.

If he hadn't let his loyalty to Bama players override his objectivity then he could have passed on Cody and grabbed Vladimir Ducasse, Brandon Spikes, Pat Angerer, Amari Spievey, Alex Carrington, or D'Anthony Smith.

Also if Denver was just giving guys away I wish Ozzie had jumped on the Alfonso Smith trade. He was picked up for TE Dan Gronkowski. I bet they would have gone 7th rounder for him.

In 09 I think he did well woth Oher but Clay Matthews was 2 picks after him.

Instead of going with Kruger imagin drafting Matt Shaughnessy, Brandon Tate, or Mike Wallace.

In the 5th round Johnny Knox went 3 picks after Jason Phillips.

If Ozzie had stayed where he was in the 1st round in 2010 he could have grabbed Devin McCourty, Jared Odrick, Kyle Wilson, or Patrick Robinson which filled out the remainers of the 1st round.

The only thing I question Ozzie on with Kindle are the red flags. There is no way to know he would do a header down the stairs.

If he hadn't let his loyalty to Bama players override his objectivity then he could have passed on Cody and grabbed Vladimir Ducasse, Brandon Spikes, Pat Angerer, Amari Spievey, Alex Carrington, or D'Anthony Smith.

Also if Denver was just giving guys away I wish Ozzie had jumped on the Alfonso Smith trade. He was picked up for TE Dan Gronkowski. I bet they would have gone 7th rounder for him.

In 09 I think he did well woth Oher but Clay Matthews was 2 picks after him.

Instead of going with Kruger imagin drafting Matt Shaughnessy, Brandon Tate, or Mike Wallace.

In the 5th round Johnny Knox went 3 picks after Jason Phillips.

While hind sight is 20-20, I do agree with your analysis, Ozzie's last few drafts have been pretty weak. Especially tough to swallow when Pittsburgh has been drafting impact players with their early round draft picks.

The Sun states we can use the franchise tag on Ngata:

JANUARY 27, 2011

Ravens can still put tag on Ngata next month

Teams are expected to still use the franchise tag next month, NFL officials told reporters at the league office on Thursday.

That would allow the Ravens to keep defensive tackle Haloti Ngata off the free-agent market this season. The franchise tag on defensive tackles last season was a one-year tender worth $7 million.

Under the 2010 rules, Ngata would only be a restricted free agent, and the Ravens could use a first-round tender to protect him. But the rules that define free agents could change in the next Collective Bargaining Agreement, and Ngata might be an unrestricted free agent in the new CBA.

To make sure Ngata isn't going anywhere, the Ravens could use the franchise tag on him while negotiating a long-term deal with him. Ngata is looking for a deal that is similar to the one signed by rookie Ndamukong Suh, who signed a five-year, $68 million contract with Detroit that includes $40 million guaranteed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-franchisetag020311

“We have received reports that the NFL is advising clubs that they can place a franchise tag on players whose contracts will expire at the end of the 2010 league year,” the union wrote in Thursday’s statement, according to three agents. “The current CBA provides that ‘each club shall be permitted to designate one of its players who would otherwise be an Unrestricted Free Agent [or Restricted Free Agent] as a Franchise Player each Season during the term of this Agreement.’ The 2011 season is not a ‘season during the term of this Agreement’ so the NFL has no valid basis for claiming the right to franchise players in 2011.”

I didn't expect them to let that stand. This will be negotiated.