ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Zorn Fired

ForceEight

After three tumultuous years, Jim Zorn is ready to get out of the Baltimore-Washington Metroplex.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports the Ravens “released” Zorn from his contract after one year as their quarterbacks coach. (That’s a nice way of saying he was fired.)

“It was not a fit on either side” according to Schefter.

Zorn, who jumped to the Ravens after two years as the head coach with the Redskins, is expected to draw interest elsewhere immediately. His history with Mike Holmgren could make Zorn a natural fit in Cleveland.

There were rumblings in Baltimore that Zorn and Ravens offensive coordinator Cam Cameron had difficulty co-existing. There seemed to be communication issues between Zorn, Cameron, and Joe Flacco.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/27/ravens-let-go-of-jim-zorn/

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do like that the team is attempting to get consistency. Now, what we need is to continually bring in guys that know this offense. I would have preferred a shift to a west coast offense, however what I want most is consistency. Why bring in a west coast QB coach? Doesn't seem to make much sense. I'm glad the shift was made to consistency.

Preston talked on the blog last week about how there were communication issues with Zorn and Cam. Cam is a big, throw it deep guy. Zorn is a west coast guy. He said he thought it created problems for Flacco. Flacco worked closely with Zorn, and as much as Zorn would try to tow the 'deep ball' kind of line, it was being filtered through all of Zorn's west coast sensibilities.

Just didn't seem like a fit. Maybe it will be good. Who knows.

I'd rather have them let go of Cam than Zorn. Something sounds fishy here, if there were communications issues during the season, why didn't Harbaugh just tell Zorn to shut up? And how come Harbaugh and Cam were able to immediately pin point what was wrong this season two days after the Steelers game? Why couldn't we see this during the season?

I've always felt that there were too many mouths in the QB's ear. That alone has to screw up communication.

It's just a coaching/management change. No big deal.

Cam's on the hot seat but he didn't turn the ball over to the Steelers

The Ravens were doing fine until that happened.

I think that Harbaugh is rectifying a mistake he made by hiring Zorn. I don't think Zorn is a bad coach or coordinator. Quite the contrary. I do believe that Harbaugh should have found someone more familiar with Cam's system to be Flacco's mentor and help him digest the offense. I think Harbaugh and co., chose not to dismiss during the season because they wanted to stay consistent and not cause waves during the season. It's very tough for teams to deal with firings during the season and I think Harbaugh made the right choice. We need to remain consistent.

With the WR's we have Zorn's concept would be a smarter plan.

I agree, and I think Joe would be much better in a WC offense where he is required to get the ball out of his hands quickly. He definitely has the arm for a WC offense, he throws those out patterns as well as anyone in the league. A WC offense would throw some quick slants in there as well (something we NEVER do now) forcing Joe to get that ball out quickly and allowing him to use his arm strength to pound the ball in there. A WC offense would also put an emphasis on Joe's footwork, as he has to drop back from center very quickly and explode out of his back step. This is what Joe needs, because his footwork gets sloppy at times. Zorn did a great job with reseting Joe's mechanics when they got sloppy.

I would LOVE to hear Zorn's side of this story. He probably has a lot of negative things to say about this offense. Boy, I wish we had kept Hue Jackson as our OC. I would even like Hue as our HC right about now.

Wow. Zorn goes from HD @ Skins, to QB Coach Ravens, to out of work. Ouch !

Good luck Jim

BTW-Like others, I think Cam is the problem and Zorn was the scapegoat. I think Harbs and Cams egos are too big too admit they screwed up the O. I think we are looking at more "Camisms? in 2011 - more pulling out hair and screaming at the TV ! :beer:

With the WR's we have Zorn's concept would be a smarter plan.

I agree, it would especially maximize Boldin's talents and abilities. Just goes to show how FA's don't always work out as you think they will. However, Mason had a down year his first year in our offense as well and he bounced back nicely. Hopefully Boldin will be able to make some adjustments.

I thinkthe only reason Cam is coming back is because the CBA. They don't want to get to mid Aug they reach a deal and then the players have to learn a new system.

I agree completely. We should stick to what Joe knows right now. Funny how Zorn is taking the beating for the 2nd half offensive collapses. Hmmmmmm.

More trouble: Sounds like they were worried about him speaking up too much. Worse yet, it sounds like Flacco may be taking his side.

Jim Zorn and the Ravens seem to be having a messier separation than Jeff Fisher and the Titans. Even though Zorn was only there one year.

Amidst reports that Zorn and offensive coordinator Cam Cameron had communication problems, the Baltimore Sun reports that the Ravens staff was concerned with Zorn becoming “insubordinate.”

Mike Preston and Jamison Hensley also report that the Ravens were concerned about Zorn’s teaching methods. It seems like Cameron and Zorn are two strong offensive minds that didn’t agree and Cameron wanted more control.

There seems to be a lot of post break-up he said, she said going on. A league source tells PFT that quarterback Joe Flacco spoke up in Zorn’s behalf.

It didn’t help: Cameron will get more responsibility with Zorn out of the picture.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/28/ravens-were-concerned-about-zorn-becoming-insubordinate/#comments

More trouble: Sounds like they were worried about him speaking up too much. Worse yet, it sounds like Flacco may be taking his side.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/28/ravens-were-concerned-about-zorn-becoming-insubordinate/#comments

1) I agree a West Coast offense would be better for Joe and the Ravens receivers.

2) The breakup is messy. I hope Joe stays out of it though I can understand how he feels.

3) If it wasn't for the potential lockout, I would have said make Zorn the OC and dump Cam.

4) Now for the glass half-full: maybe Cam will let Joe do more on his own than he has in the past if he is to be more intimately involved with him.

5) There were too many voices in Joe's ear. I'm glad Saunders is gone and while I preferred Zorn's approach, it will help having Joe just listening to one guy on what he should/shouldn't do.

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/blogs/sports/ravens/ravens-joe-flacco-on-jim-zorn-firing-i-m-not/article_c0c9e8ec-2bec-11e0-8a92-001cc4c03286.html

RAVENS: Joe Flacco on Jim Zorn firing: 'I'm not happy about it'

SANDY POINT, Md. -- Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco is unhappy about the firing of quarterbacks coach Jim Zorn, saying, "I'm not happy about it, and they know I'm not happy about it."

And Flacco said he took the dismissal personally considering he threw for 3,622 yards, 25 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

"I also feel like a little bit like I'm being attacked," Flacco said. "You fire the quarterback coach. Usually when your fire a position coach, it's because you're not really happy with how that position did. And when I look back on my season and our season as a team, I mean, we won 13 games. I felt like I had a pretty good year and you're firing the quarterback coach? t's kind of an attack on me, I feel like.

"You know, it is what it is. It's not that big of a deal for me to feel like it. I'm not happy about it. They know that I'm not happy about it. It's not news to them. They know I'm not happy about it, and my feelings aren't going to change. I'm not going to be happy about it, for a long time. This year will be what it is. We're going to be successful this year. I would have just liked him to be a part of it. He would have liked to be a part of it. And I think it would have been good for him to be a part of it."

Flacco wasn't shy about delivering his message today during the annual Polar Bear Plunge at Sandy Point State Park.

"I'm disappointed and they know I'm disappointed," Flacco said. "I don't think it was a good decision, and they know that. I expressed that throughout the whole time it was going on, I expressed how much I didn't think it would be good for us. My opinion isn't going to change.

"I think Jim was a great coach, I think he was great for our team. I think he was great for me. That's how I feel about it."

Flacco denied the existence of communication issues due to Zorn's background in the West Coast offense and offensive coordinator Cam Cameron being a Don Coryell disciple.

"No, not really," Flacco said. "I think Jim was a great coach."

I thought it would be natural for Joe to disagree with the move considering he worked closely with Zorn all year and likely struck up a friendship, but those words are a little stronger than I anticipated coming out of him. We're talking about a guy who is usually more mellow than Droopy. All this talk about different philosophies and insubordination - Zorn and Cam obviously butted heads on something big and it sounds like Flacco was on Zorn's side.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-flacco-0130-20110129,0,2646623.story

Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco is angry about last week's firing of Jim Zorn and is taking the release of the quarterbacks coach personally.

During an interview Saturday, the usually mild-mannered Flacco vehemently defended Zorn's coaching and expressed disappointment that the organization didn't take his opinion into account. Flacco voiced his support of Zorn to owner Steve Bisciotti and coach John Harbaugh after the season and left those conversations believing Zorn's job was safe.

After the season ended, Flacco said he heard that Zorn's job was in jeopardy. So, he called Bisciotti and Harbaugh to explain why Zorn should stay.

"The vibe I took was they were taking my opinion seriously," Flacco said. "But in the end, I guess they didn't. I wasn't surprised [by Zorn's firing], just disappointed

Just keeps getting better and better. The Ravens have some fence mending to do with their QB

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-flacco-0130-20110129,0,2646623.story

Just keeps getting better and better. The Ravens have some fence mending to do with their QB

This is a mess and shouldn't be allowed to fester. They need to make nice with Joe. And then Joe needs to shut up. Biscotti should have been more involved before this went viral.

Is this yet another example of how they don't let Joe run the offense more and that Cam is too controlling?

This is a mess and shouldn't be allowed to fester. They need to make nice with Joe. And then Joe needs to shut up. Biscotti should have been more involved before this went viral.

Is this yet another example of how they don't let Joe run the offense more and that Cam is too controlling?

I think this is a case of simply Joe being Joe. Joe is a blunt honest guy who speaks whatever he is thinking. Most of the time he just doesn't have much to say. However, it seems like they struck a cord here and Joe suddenly has an opinion. Joe probably doesn't see this as speaking out, he just sees this as he is speaking honestly as always. He has just never had anything really note of saying up until now.

Joe needs to quit being a pussy. He didn't live up to expectations this year with a stacked WR core, which could be blamed on the offensive line, but I believe it was a combination of the two, and Joe has to play better next year.

I think had they run more of a west coast system which Zorn is from the offense may have been better. It would make up for the line having problems by getting the ball out of joes hand in about 3 secs. Something like Tom Brady was doing after getting rid of Moss.