ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Now THAT was a football game!

Guest BallTMore

That game last night was the best festivus gift a boy could ask for.

Here it is 10 am the next morning and I still have a smile on my face.

Coach is going to have to have this team refocused on Jax because we can not overlook this team, they still have some play makers on both sides of the ball.

I'm not back on Willis' bandwagon just yet... he made a number of solid plays, which was very nice to see... but I'm still not entirely sold.

I am sold on the fact that it will be nice to have him healthy come playoff time... assuming he can stay healthy.

But as for overall? I think what I should point to first and most is this: Le'Ron showed just moments after Willis' big run that anything Willie can do, Le'Ron can do better. Willis' big run (and yes, he had a few catches and another nice run) was straight and no BS... good blocking, he put his knees through two arm tackles and there was no looking back. Le'Ron's required a little more effort, he legitimately broke three tackles and managed to loop-de-loop Newman with Clayton's help.

By the way... what is more entertaining than Lorenzo trucking his way down field beside Le'Ron???? NOTHING.

Lorenzo is just 180 yards from blocking for another 1000 yard back... but you have to figure a pair of backs with 7-800 should suffice...

There is too much pessimism about Willis on these boards. IMHO if its the playoffs 1st and goal from the 10 I want Willis as the tailback. Our conditioning and laziness concerns may be warranted, but I believe the guy is our stud. No one can argue Laron in short yardage, but i feel like people are forgetting who willis mcgahee really is because of how surprisingly well our other backs have produced.

did anybody notice that Parmele dressed and Hauschka wasn't?(spelling on both) Anybody sort of wanted to see him get a carry somewhere to see if Cam really can utillize all the talent on team?

Also can anybody tell me what happened to Samari in the second half? I dont think Prime and Faulk even noticed or at least i never heard anything. He needs to be alright

There is too much pessimism about Willis on these boards. IMHO if its the playoffs 1st and goal from the 10 I want Willis as the tailback. Our conditioning and laziness concerns may be warranted, but I believe the guy is our stud. No one can argue Laron in short yardage, but i feel like people are forgetting who willis mcgahee really is because of how surprisingly well our other backs have produced.

I would again argue that it's not pessimism, it's realism.

McGahee has asked for every last ounce of criticism he has gotten. And because of it, in the final moments, I want Le'Ron.

I am glad to have Willis back there, especially with Ray Rice hurt now, and especially in the stretch run. But one good run in a game does not a superstar make. He finally runs straight through the line (not stuttering, not into his lineman's back) and he gains big yards? Surprise. Even the announcers were all over him last night before that run.

I could have sworn the early reports said McClain was one that came in overweight and out of shape. But that he dropped the weight faster than Harbaugh thought possible. McGahee came in here and ended up still needing some knee surgery if memory serves me correctly. Considering the work he's put in to coming back from his injuries over the years, only a jerk would question his drive and motivation. If anything he runs a little too hard and takes too many hits. He ought to take a lesson from LT's style, not Earl Campbell. Without question McGahee is the most talented back on the roster. Lastly, McClain's tendency to put the ball on the ground without even being hit very hard...doesn't impress me at all. Thank goodness for Mason or you would all be singing a different tune about McLain today than you are.

I could have sworn the early reports said McClain was one that came in overweight and out of shape. But that he dropped the weight faster than Harbaugh thought possible. McGahee came in here and ended up still needing some knee surgery if memory serves me correctly. Considering the work he's put in to coming back from his injuries over the years, only a jerk would question his drive and motivation. If anything he runs a little too hard and takes too many hits. He ought to take a lesson from LT's style, not Earl Campbell. Without question McGahee is the most talented back on the roster. Lastly, McClain's tendency to put the ball on the ground without even being hit very hard...doesn't impress me at all. Thank goodness for Mason or you would all be singing a different tune about McLain today than you are.

More eloquently stated than I could have done.

You folks will regret not standing behind McGahee when the time comes.

They both came in overweight. McClain got permission from the team to finish his degree at Alabama over the offseason, so he did not train as much as he would have like to.

I would be relunctant to release McGahee in the offseason. One, he has been a great team player this season. Two, I really believe that this season will be a wake-up call for him to work hard this offseason. I think he finally realizes that one cannot get by solely on talent, and I feel Willis is really going to work hard this offseason. Remember, Willis is still only 27-years old, he has not lost anything. A little rest for his knee, and then some hardwork will have Willis back ready to dominate in 2009. I would hate to see us release him and then he comes back motivated and finally realizes his potential for another team.

Nevertheless, Willis is going to be huge for us this postseason. Everyone remembers the long run from Saturday night, but how about the 20+ yard reception from Willis where he caught the ball in open space and got some YAC? As long as Rice is out, that is what we will need out of Willis. Like Willis said, he just needs to perform when his number is called, and I fully expect him to do so!

I would be relunctant to release McGahee in the offseason. One, he has been a great team player this season. Two, I really believe that this season will be a wake-up call for him to work hard this offseason. I think he finally realizes that one cannot get by solely on talent, and I feel Willis is really going to work hard this offseason. Remember, Willis is still only 27-years old, he has not lost anything. A little rest for his knee, and then some hardwork will have Willis back ready to dominate in 2009. I would hate to see us release him and then he comes back motivated and finally realizes his potential for another team.

Nevertheless, Willis is going to be huge for us this postseason. Everyone remembers the long run from Saturday night, but how about the 20+ yard reception from Willis where he caught the ball in open space and got some YAC? As long as Rice is out, that is what we will need out of Willis. Like Willis said, he just needs to perform when his number is called, and I fully expect him to do so!

I agree. If this were Jamal, he would be blaming his poor performance on not getting the ball enough. Willis has had a good attitude the whole way and I think he deserves a second chance to come back next year in shape and ready to go. Also keep in mind that he had injuries other than the knee. He got his eye poked out to the point of blindness and he has taken a lot of hits to the ribs.

Guest BallTMore
in case you want to watch the game again (and your get NFL network), it is one of the NFL replay games tonight at 9:30pm.

Great! I was hoping it would make NFL replay. I thought we'd get screwed again. They only show the Ravens when we lose (Pitts, Tits, Pitts) <_<

Thanks madbacker, I was dying to see this game again. been kicking myself for not DVRing it. Was just curious, where did you find what games they would be showing? Was it just a commercial on NFLN or is there somewhere online where they post it?

that is great news since I missed it bc i live in Pittsburgh and don't get NFL network. I already set my DVR to record all the NFL Replays for yesterday and today in case it was on.

Thanks madbacker, I was dying to see this game again. been kicking myself for not DVRing it. Was just curious, where did you find what games they would be showing? Was it just a commercial on NFLN or is there somewhere online where they post it?

no problem. I am a nut who has nothing but the NFL network on when there is nothing else on in the background as I am cooking, sleeping, etc. It was on commercial. The Miami game is first and then the Ravens at 9:30!

After watching that game again, I feel even stronger that Mcgahee hasn't lost anything. he carried the drive to put us up nine in the first place (after dallas's field goal, so i guess 9 for the second time) and the 77 yarder was the icing on the cake.

Leron played an amazing game to, but the reason they are both playing so well is because Cam knows how to utilize them. He also knows that Loneal is the best blocker and uses him situationally in front of mcgahee over leron. The i-form with the two irish black men is also great because both can confidently run the ball, just put Neal in motion in front of them. and throw a tackle in there, why not

1st goal from the 5 Leron, 1st goal from 10 Willis as tailback