ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

McGahee Starts Trouble

RavensNest8483

He's still a sorry individual rm52. That's what he is concerned about. Himself. That quote was regarding the interview. His quote in this new article just confirms his obsession with himself.

I'm starting to think you folks are the sorry individuals.

He has something called "desire." He wants the best for himself, as most players do. Do they all go out and say "hey, I'm disappointed that I'm not doing well enough to be MVP" or what have you? Of course not. Does what he said--that he wants to do as well as possible--take away from the team in any way? Absolutely not.

Harbaugh realizes that. It's the frenzied media, popularized by all of you, that wastes our time by caring.

Move on.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Takes one to know one Force, and nice way to start the new year. Maybe you should add something to your resolutions list. There's a difference between having the desire to be the best for yourself and a desire for the team; putting that desire above the goals of a team. If he wants to be obsessed with his personal accolades (a Super Bowl ring won't make him happy, but a Super Bowl MVP will...what desire!) he should go play an individual sport like tennis or golf. But, perhaps, he won't because then he'll have no one else to blame. Just like when he was at Miami. What a failure for him Clinton Portis had more rushing yards in the game for him and his team to win the national championship. The horror! I wonder if he would feel better rushing for 3,000 yards and the Ravens going 0-16. I bet he would feel great!

*Kicking you aside*

He's still a sorry individual rm52. That's what he is concerned about. Himself. That quote was regarding the interview. His quote in this new article just confirms his obsession with himself.

Each and every football player, NBA player, MLB player is about themselfs.

It was Ray Lewis before. "If THEY don't want to play ME the right way."

Has anyone heard the whole thing on the radio?

i don't think it's a factor at all.....i could care less what he says as long as he plays hard on sunday. And he will.

Agreed. To put a slight twist on a previous post...football fans and columnists aren't the smartest people on the planet. Judgemental, arrogant, entitled know-it-alls yes, but not very smart. This is especially true of those who have never played. The same people who got on Suggs and Mason in the past for their so called selfish comments are running their big mouths again. Football is a team sport yes, but it's played by individuals and in the final analysis it's 11 individual matchups on any given play beating 11 individuals on the other side of the ball.

"You never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn't mean a thing. That's for the fans. You've got to win the war with the man in front of you. You've got to get your man."

Vince Lombardi

We've got a frustrated RB who knows he hasn't contributed this year, so what. Now everyone needs to just STFU...we're in the playoffs, so cut the shit with all the melodrama and save us all the stupid psychobabble.

I just find it troubling that McGahee said his season is over and he does not feel like he is contributing. 600+ yards and 7 TDs is not contributing? Just because McGahee is not a star player this year does not mean he is not contributing. I just do not get his mindset. To me, it seems like McGahee only wants a Super Bowl if he is the reason his team won. Maybe he is just disappointed in himself, who knows.

There's a difference between having the desire to be the best for yourself and a desire for the team; putting that desire above the goals of a team.

Except that there really isn't. If a player is doing the most and being the best he possibly can be, there is almost no fathomable circumstance in which he can hurt the team by that performance.

For the rest of hat you said, I'll direct you to the final line of my good friend Been's post.

"Perhaps, we, as Ravens fans, shouldn't jump to rash conclusions like the media.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe Anita Marx dumped him and right now he's just hurt, confused and unable to reach his happy place?

Would you be able to eloquently express yourself under similar circumstances?

Of course not! Give him a break."

cs_287.jpg

I just find it troubling that McGahee said his season is over and he does not feel like he is contributing. 600+ yards and 7 TDs is not contributing? Just because McGahee is not a star player this year does not mean he is not contributing. I just do not get his mindset. To me, it seems like McGahee only wants a Super Bowl if he is the reason his team won. Maybe he is just disappointed in himself, who knows.

I am sure he would be one of the happest players on the team if they do win the Super Bowl.

Yes he wants to be the star, if you don't want to be you don't belong out there. And I bet he does feel that his season was over with numbers like that. How do we see a top rated back in the NFL? 1000 yards. So even the fans are looking at Willis in another light due to that.

I still don't get this mentality.

We are winning, so any discussion or criticism has to cease?

We are in the playoffs, so we have to blindly follow and not think?

That's never made sense to me. I mean, it's not like we're Yankee fans who are booing Alex Rodriguez for only hitting three home runs in the playoffs... only.

We are discussing the value of a player to our organization.

Do I want Willis McGahee to be successful as a Raven? Yes. I want every player on our team to be successful.

Am I entitled to express a lack of confidence in him? A lack of happiness with his attitude and performance? Of course.

BA, to steal from what you said in our 'marriage rights' discussion a ways back, stop giving me the standard lines... "We're in the playoffs, it doesn't matter." That doesn't mean I have to be happy with every last thing pertaining to this team.

If we were spouting off about Corey Ivy or Frank Walker or Adam Terry... I am guessing that no one would have too much of a problem with it. A lot of people that are defending Willis would probably join in and take a few shots and say a few words about how their poor play and how disappointing it is, even though we are in the playoffs.

But apparently Willis is off limits.

--

Sidenotes:

1. Ray Lewis got plenty of crap on these boards for his attitude when it's come. And when it goes, it goes. Willis' attitude as come. If it goes, I'll let it go.

2. Having never played football, we're not supposed to talk. But I've played plenty of team sports, plenty of physical spots... I feel I'm pretty qualified to discuss 'team'

3. I don't know who got on Suggs about his comments, but I don't believe it was me. I said his comments were stupid - they were - but I never ripped Suggs a new one. I said he should shut it. He did. I think that's the bottom line. If they would shut it and play, we would shut it and watch. Instead, they talk at the worst possible times and say the stupidest possible things... and yes, I'm going to respond. Not all football fans are bright, but not all of them are thick either.

This is stupid. I enjoy blind faith and I have it in Willis. I can't wait to see him go off on sunday.

Just like bounties didn't really mean bounties, Willis wasn't calling out his coach he just cracked under the pressure of the media. Read the interview transcripts on the website, so many questions are worded in a way to provoke drama and therefore a story. Willis doesn't handle a podium very well ("Coach Matsko said we're are going to block it like this and block it like that, and I'm like well ok" NFL replay), we can't expect much from him on live talk radio. The locker room doesn't care about this, neither do the dolphins. We are ready for this game and if Ozzie and Co. think Willis needs to go after the season, I have faith in them.

Or willis might acclimate to Harbs workout regime and become the sgnature back in our young record-setting backfield, and then all of this will be a faint comedic memory.

I respect and appreciate the realists on this board because they keep me level-headed, but when it comes to our Ravens my overwhelming impulse is always blind optimism.

I have come to the conclusion that Willis just isn't that smart, and probably did not understand the question and the impact of what he was saying. Like Crav said, we only heard bits of the interview. Willis was probably asked about how he was doing personally, and that is what he meant by saying his season was over. In other words, it is all about the team now. I like Willis a lot, and I think he will have a great game in his native Miami this week.

I didn't want to start a new topic, so I will post this question here. Should Willis be getting more carries? It definitely seems like his knee is fresh from the rest, and it looks like he has his burst back (which is very noticeable in comparison to McClain). McClain is certainly doing a great job of pounding and tiring defenses, but he has some ball security problems. Could this be because of fatigue? Should Willis be spelling McClain more?

Peterson should have been flaged for holding that ball out there like that!

I say no to Willis getting me time. I would like to see more of Rice at this point. I also think this whole team is getting beat down, they could use a good rest.

How much would it cost for the Ravens to cut Willis?

Keep in mind there isn't a cap in place for 2010 so we would have to take the full hit in 09.

Peterson should have been flaged for holding that ball out there like that!

I say no to Willis getting me time. I would like to see more of Rice at this point. I also think this whole team is getting beat down, they could use a good rest.

How much would it cost for the Ravens to cut Willis?

Keep in mind there isn't a cap in place for 2010 so we would have to take the full hit in 09.

The number I keep hearing is $9 million. I am in favor of keeping Willis. He has not lost a step or anything, and this whole situation has been blown out of proportion. He can still be a playmaker on this team.

I didn't want to start a new topic, so I will post this question here. Should Willis be getting more carries? It definitely seems like his knee is fresh from the rest, and it looks like he has his burst back (which is very noticeable in comparison to McClain). McClain is certainly doing a great job of pounding and tiring defenses, but he has some ball security problems. Could this be because of fatigue? Should Willis be spelling McClain more?

I think Willis was at full or near full strength today. Mcclain tweaked his ankle today although he returned to the game. Where is Rice? Is he gone for the season or what? Willis deserves to play as long as he is putting forth the effort. I can't remember if he gets better as a game wears on. I feel better with Willis in the equation though. Hes a seasoned veteran and we need one with the pressure during the playoffs. Is it me or does Willis seem wider then last year? Has he put on weight?

I think Willis was at full or near full strength today. Mcclain tweaked his ankle today although he returned to the game. Where is Rice? Is he gone for the season or what? Willis deserves to play as long as he is putting forth the effort. I can't remember if he gets better as a game wears on. I feel better with Willis in the equation though. Hes a seasoned veteran and we need one with the pressure during the playoffs. Is it me or does Willis seem wider then last year? Has he put on weight?

Willis came into camp at 238 pounds, which is considerably heavier than his usual playing weight. In other words, that extra weight is not muscle. I think he has gone down a little since then (he is listed as 232 pounds now), but after the knee surgery he probably has not gotten the opportunity to get himself into true playing shape. However, Willis has looked good the past few weeks. If he can truly dedicate himself this offseason (like he did last offseason before the 2007 season), I really believe he can be an impact player for us. I think Willis has gotten the message. By the way, McClain looks like he could afford to lose a little weight as well.

The statline says it all. There was no need for Rice who mightve been out of sync with the offense.

Leron 19 car 75 yards TD

Willis 7 car 62 yards... almost 9 ypc

Great balance, great situational usage by cam, and i bet this week Rice will be in the game after a week of being healthy.

Couple things... how great was ngata's pancake on Reed's return.

Also I like the one instance of the Suggs package(or just Troy in at qb), people said it was a stupid call because everyone knew the draw was coming. If he gets the first it is a statement call that says we are going to run the ball and there is nothing you can do about it.

The statline says it all. There was no need for Rice who mightve been out of sync with the offense.

Leron 19 car 75 yards TD

Willis 7 car 62 yards... almost 9 ypc

Great balance, great situational usage by cam, and i bet this week Rice will be in the game after a week of being healthy.

Couple things... how great was ngata's pancake on Reed's return.

Also I like the one instance of the Suggs package(or just Troy in at qb), people said it was a stupid call because everyone knew the draw was coming. If he gets the first it is a statement call that says we are going to run the ball and there is nothing you can do about it.

I wish they would let troy smith throw it out of the suggs package. Everyone knows that its a run when he comes in on short yardage situations...... I would love to have smith show like he is going to run and then go back to pass a deep bomb.

Willis should continue to get his carries while he performs... but if the dropped passes, stuttering at the line, and pansy avoidance of tackles comes back... we know what to do.

Willis gives us great flexibility. He should get some more carries. But that doesn't mean deviating from the plan of Le'Ron up the gut until the opposing defense dies on itself... McGahee has had much of his success in recent weeks after Le'Ron has pounded the D.**

Doesn't mean I like the guy... but you put the ball in the hands of the guys that are succeeding. McGahee is better at getting outside and better at receiving than Le'Ron... so use him when we can.

**Anyone catch that when Phil Simms was talking about Le'Ron liking to pound opposing defenses into submission that they showed Le'Ron lined up in the backfield, and, as if he could hear Simms and Nance, he just started to smile slowly... like "Yes, yes I do."