ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

28. Baltimore Ravens: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri

ravinmaniac52

I really like Nicks. I'd be surprised if he doesn't go somewhere in the first round. If the other top receivers are gone, and he's sitting there, I'd love to see us grab him. Definitely can't argue with his production at UNC, and he has a pretty big frame. Could grow into an Anquan Boldin-type receiver. I'm not too concerned about his 40-time, because receivers like him don't have to beat guys deep... they have smart football instincts to get open. That's something we need more than anything right now.

You can't compare elite nfl wrs with college players, take your own advice.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will grab Harvin or Heyward-Bey with our 1st pick, the last pick in the 1st round.

Heyward Bey has really lost stock, Profootballweekly did a PIECE YESTERDAY, they didnt even mention the kid. He needs to have a knockout combine.

No! We want him at the lowest price possible. :lol:

You can't compare elite nfl wrs with college players, take your own advice.

You can compare elite college WR's with pretty good NFL players. I just don't like to see mediocre college players compared to all-time greats from the NFL. I was comparing Hicks' build and style of receiving to an "Anquan-Boldin-type-receiver", not necessarily his level of talent.

You can compare elite college WR's with pretty good NFL players. I just don't like to see mediocre college players compared to all-time greats from the NFL. I was comparing Hicks' build and style of receiving to an "Anquan-Boldin-type-receiver", not necessarily his level of talent.

1. Boldin is more than a pretty good nfl wr. Fitz is already an all time great?

2. I was comparing Robo the same way. He has good height, great hands, great route runner which is exactly what scouts were saying about fitz before he came into the nfl. I never once said robo would be like fitz in the nfl.

So thanks for arguing a pt and then totally contradicting yourself in the same thread.

1. Boldin is more than a pretty good nfl wr. Fitz is already an all time great?

2. I was comparing Robo the same way. He has good height, great hands, great route runner which is exactly what scouts were saying about fitz before he came into the nfl. I never once said robo would be like fitz in the nfl.

So thanks for arguing a pt and then totally contradicting yourself in the same thread.

Yes, Larry Fitzgerald is already an all-time great. I'm not saying he's locked up his spot in Canton, just that his talent is some of the best we've ever seen from the WR position. Anquan Boldin is very good, but I'm not ready to put him into the Moss/Fitzgerald/Smith/Owens/Harrison/Johnson class. He should have a good, solid, productive career, and I'd love to have him on my team. But there are a lot of guys like that... Wes Welker, Reggie Wayne, Hines Ward, T.J. Houshmandzadeh...and so on.

My only point was that Larry Fitzgerald is too good to be making comparisons to. He is an all-time great college WR, and he will be one of the all-time great NFL WR's when all is said and done. I'm talking top 5 all-time. I haven't contradicted myself.

:P Is this conversation really necessary?

I see both your guys points. Nest is trying to say that Robiskie has a similar skill set to Fitz. They are both big, have strong and soft hands, good jumping ability, and good route runners. There is nothing wrong with making that comparison. Nowhere does that imply the Robiskie is anywhere in the same class as Fitz. For example, those are simply Robiskie's best attributes. So what does that say about the rest of his game? It is pretty horrible. So on a larger scale Robiskie would probably be rated as having good hands, decent jumping ability, decent route running, whereas Larry coming out of college was rated as having excellent hands, jumping ability, and route running. It is just that Robiskie is bad at everything else which gives him a similar style of play to Fitz. This is all according to RavensNest of course, I am just trying to help him with his point.

Anyways, I agree with Spear. Michael Jenkins is a better comparison for Robiskie. Robiskie is not nearly as aggressive as Fitz when the ball is in the air, and is thus more of a Jenkins-type receiver. Robiskie does not have a comparible YAC ability to Fitz. Once again, he is more like Jenkins, IMO.

:P Is this conversation really necessary?

I see both your guys points. Nest is trying to say that Robiskie has a similar skill set to Fitz. They are both big, have strong and soft hands, good jumping ability, and good route runners. There is nothing wrong with making that comparison. Nowhere does that imply the Robiskie is anywhere in the same class as Fitz. For example, those are simply Robiskie's best attributes. So what does that say about the rest of his game? It is pretty horrible. So on a larger scale Robiskie would probably be rated as having good hands, decent jumping ability, decent route running, whereas Larry coming out of college was rated as having excellent hands, jumping ability, and route running. It is just that Robiskie is bad at everything else which gives him a similar style of play to Fitz. This is all according to RavensNest of course, I am just trying to help him with his point.

Anyways, I agree with Spear. Michael Jenkins is a better comparison for Robiskie. Robiskie is not nearly as aggressive as Fitz when the ball is in the air, and is thus more of a Jenkins-type receiver. Robiskie does not have a comparible YAC ability to Fitz. Once again, he is more like Jenkins, IMO.

Ok, appreciate it Thunder, but too say that Robo is horrible wr is real dick move. You have to keep in mind that Robo is the son of Terry Robiskie, a highly regarded wr coach, so decent route running i highly doubt. Robo has the smarts and some of the skill to be in the pros. The only difference is he isn't explosive, so he will have to make an impact by outsmarting his opponents. He will be a solid pro, prolly never a #1. Here is a better comparison for you Spear, Derrick Mason or even keyshawn johnson :P , lets argue about these comparison's too.

But hey what do i know, I also think Troy Smith will be a good nfl qb. I'm no expert but I did stay at a holiday inn express aand ate Subway. :lol:

Ok, appreciate it Thunder, but too say that Robo is horrible wr is real dick move. You have to keep in mind that Robo is the son of Terry Robiskie, a highly regarded wr coach, so decent route running i highly doubt. Robo has the smarts and some of the skill to be in the pros. The only difference is he isn't explosive, so he will have to make an impact by outsmarting his opponents. He will be a solid pro, prolly never a #1. Here is a better comparison for you Spear, Derrick Mason or even keyshawn johnson :P , lets argue about these comparison's too.

But hey what do i know, I also think Troy Smith will be a good nfl qb. I'm no expert but I did stay at a holiday inn express aand ate Subway. :lol:

I never said he was a horrible receiver. But in comparison to Fitzgerald? Yes, he is near horrible. If you are going to say a guy has a similar skill set to an All-Pro receiver like Fitz, but never put up anywhere near the production Fitz did in college, then you have to make clear that he is nowhere in that league. Is horrible a little strong? Probably. But it makes the point.

I can see the similar skill set that you mention to Fitz, but Robiskie has nowhere near the aggression that Fitz has. That is what makes Fitz so good, his ability to attack the ball in the air.

Robo has the smarts and some of the skill to be in the pros. The only difference is he isn't explosive, so he will have to make an impact by outsmarting his opponents. He will be a solid pro, prolly never a #1. Here is a better comparison for you Spear, Derrick Mason or even keyshawn johnson :P , lets argue about these comparison's too.

I have no problem with comparing anyone to Derrick Mason or Keyshawn. They're both pretty good possession receivers, and there was a time when Mason was one of the best deep threats in the game as well, but neither would be considered 'All-Time Greats'. Now, I don't know how Robiskie stacks up to them, but you'll hear no complaint from me for trying to make the comparison. Like I said, the only thing I don't like is when people compare run-of-the-mill college players to All-Time Great NFL players (for example, so-and-so is the next Eric Dickerson or Marshall Faulk)

Honestly, I'm not impressed with many of the wrs that are coming out this yr. After Crabtree, they all seem to me like they might take time to develop. I actually think Robiskie would be a steal for us in the 3-4 rds. He is great on man coverage and has deceptive speed. The ball hawking could be developed, but his size will help with that.

My sleepers at the wr position are: Brandon Lafell, Gregg Orton, Robo, Ramses Barden and Darius Passmore.

Robo Highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23ZpTF7EEx4...feature=related

Orton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H63jh-iNQnk

Lafell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaXOU8qg-hg

Cal Poly WR Ramses Barden

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/ins...tory?id=3843880

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/ramsesbardeninterview.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSIhHsa8otc (Bad quality, but shows his 12 receptions for 217 yards and 2 touchdowns against Utah State)

Interview:

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/ramsesbardeninterview.htm

Barden is projected as a third rounder. He has a lot of talent, but he is still raw when it comes to route running. He sees himself as a Colston/Marshall-type receiver, but I think a Vincent Jackson is probably a better ceiling (someone who uses his long strides to get deep, uses his big frame to fight for balls in the air, but doesn't go inside the numbers). His worst case scenario is probably a Clarence Moore, although he is more aggressive than Clarence. James Hardy of the Bills is probably a realistic example.

• 3 weeks later...
Maclin won't be around when the Ravens pick but here's a list of prospects...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...ex.html?eref=T1

Thanks for the link max. Something interesting SI noted about Harvin:

3. Percy Harvin, Florida: The Gators' do-it-all slot receiver is a multi-purpose threat who has been one of college football most dynamic playmakers the past three seasons. As a speed demon with exceptional burst and acceleration, Harvin is outstanding with the ball in his hands, and specializes in turning short passes into big gains. Though Harvin has tallied 133 receptions in his career, he is viewed as unrefined due to his lack of experience running pro-style routes. In fact, some scouts view Harvin as a Reggie Bush-like playmaker who eventually makes his mark in the league as a third down running back. Regardless of position, scouts are in agreement that Harvin is a potential impact player who should hear his name called in the first round.

This draft seems stacked at WR. Britt, DHB, Nicks, and Harvin are all guys that we could take. I am currently undecided on these guys, they all seem good in their own way.

I'm not that high on DHB. I think people are a little too infatuated with his speed.

DHB is a very high risk pick, but he is just so darn intriguing with his pure speed and size. Just having his speed on the field opens up the passing game. Just send him deep or pass him a screen (he was very dangerous on the screens at UMD). Lets just wait for the combine, I have a feeling DHB is really going to put up eye-popping numbers, making him even more of a risk. The guy has raw speed comparable to Randy Moss coming out of college.

DHB is a very high risk pick, but he is just so darn intriguing with his pure speed and size. Just having his speed on the field opens up the passing game. Just send him deep or pass him a screen (he was very dangerous on the screens at UMD). Lets just wait for the combine, I have a feeling DHB is really going to put up eye-popping numbers, making him even more of a risk. The guy has raw speed comparable to Randy Moss coming out of college.

Ya know, I'd even compare him to Randy Moss.

Ya know, I'd even compare him to Randy Moss.

Granted you are not being sarcastic, I would agree with you. Like Randy coming out of college, DHB has a tall, sturdy build with long striding track speed. More importantly, DHB possesses Randy's ability to hit his second gear in a blink of an eye. Playing wise, DHB likes to work on the perimeter, does a great job of fighting for balls at their highest point, and is very dangerous off of a screen. DHB looks an awful lot like Moss when he catches a ball in the open field. Because of his strides, you do not realize how much ground he is covering.

Now, the big difference between Moss and DHB. Moss at the line of scrimmage was and is nearly impossible to jam. The questions with DHB will be his ability to fight the press. If DHB can do this, odds are he will be a great receiver. Lets be honest though, Moss is a Hall of Fame talent. It is highly doubtful that DHB will be as good of a receiver as Moss, but DHB certainly has potential to be a Pro Bowl receiver.