ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

New Terps Coach?

ForceEight

Anthony Grant, coach of VCU. They're talking about it at Terpcenter, and someone with "information" is saying that Grant responded positively to feelers about replacing Williams at the end of the season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Grant_(basketball)

Grant came to VCU after serving for ten years as an assistant to Billy Donovan at the University of Florida (UF). The 1999 and 2000 teams made the first back-to-back Sweet 16 appearances in school history and the 2000 squad made UF's first appearance in the National Championship game, where they lost to Michigan State. In the spring of 2002, Grant was elevated to the title of Associate Head Coach after serving as an assistant for his first six seasons. Grant played a key role in helping the Gators to the 2006 NCAA title, the 2005 and 2006 Southeastern Conference Tournament titles, three SEC Eastern Division titles and back-to-back SEC Championships in 2000 and 2001. The Gators have reached eight straight NCAA Tournaments, capped by the national title in 2006 in which Florida became the first team since the 1968 UCLA Bruins to win both the national semifinal and the final by 15+ points. The Gators were 226-98 (.698) during Grant's 10-year stint in Gainesville. Prior to the University of Florida, Grant served as an assistant to Donovan for two years at Marshall University helping them to a 35-20 record. Grant also served as an assistant coach during the 1993-94 season at Stetson.

I remember seeing the guy and his work in recent tournaments (I think the Terps even player VCU in recent years). I was impressed with his coaching but he's definitely young.

At this point, I doubt the Terps are putting out feelers quite yet. This sounds like someone's dream over at TerpCenter that they are just feeding info to.

But I think he would be a strong candidate and I'd like it. We need to oust Gary first, which is not only going to be hard for the school, but also hard on the fans and the program - even those that want to see him go a bit