ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Gary's Really Losing It

dc.

Gary's never been great with the media... and he's never been the most "personable" guy... but a good coach and down to earth he always seemed to be.

Now he's definitely losing the good coach status... and down to earth seems to be following...

You can see the records yourself to see how far good coach has gone.

Here's "down to earth" on its way out...

Spatting with his own Athletics Department (the one that has saved his ass many a time) over how/why recruits didn't come here.

But by far the most ridiculous and downright stupid comment from Gary is about Karthleen Worthington, the woman with whom this public spat is happening... saying you shouldn't believe her because "she never won a national championship."

No shit, Gary. You're the coach.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college...0,2775922.story

---

Also - word today that Korean freshman Kin Shoo Shamalama Ding Dong (sorry, never really knew his real name) is out and academically ineligible for the remainder of the season. Sweet. Just 6 months into his college career and he already can't handle it. I am sure that language has something to do with it, but this is about the 3rd or 4th guy in as many seasons that the Terps have lost to academics.

Gary said that because Worthington just recently came here. Not because he's the coach and she isn't.

I do think that Gary's time is nearing an end, but I'm entirely on his side as far as this recruiting stuff goes. Gary recruited who he wanted, and the ADs either disallowed them or created an environment that forced them out.

First, the expectations for Mosley have always been high. Just not for his freshman season.

As for the recruiting, the two recruits that Gary is talking about... maybe those go to the AD. But, in the words of some others, they weren't exactly Magic and Kareem. They weren't anything close.

Gary has never been a good recruiter. Never. The post-championship classes have SUCKED. Horribly. He prefers to go after nobodies and make them something, he never goes after five stars. It's 'too easy' to win that way. That's how he's always been. Even Juan Dixon was a fixer-upper from JuCo.

And as for the comment about Worthington, I could care less whether she was new or not. Gary's been here long enough to know that these kinds of disputes shouldn't be public (even if she brought them up somehow) and it's even worse for him to be flaunting his record when he recent record has been flat.

Gary has never been a good recruiter. Never. The post-championship classes have SUCKED. Horribly. He prefers to go after nobodies and make them something, he never goes after five stars. It's 'too easy' to win that way. That's how he's always been. Even Juan Dixon was a fixer-upper from JuCo.

Thats a little harsh dont you think?

Joe Smith

Wilcox

Dixon

Once again... Juan Dixon was underrecruited and unwanted by major programs (I was thinking Francis when calling him a JuCo transfer earlier). Gary got the talent, but not through great recruiting.

I don't know a ton about Wilcox or Smith's recruiting... but I do know that Wilcox was here for all of one year, right?

I also know that three players... hell, include Steve Francis, another JuCo nobody... in 20 years as a head coach is pretty pathetic.

Even more pathetic is that a team that went to two Final Fours in a row and won a National Championship is unable to hold on to the homegrown talent in the Maryland, DC and Va areas ... especially in the year or two following the title.

Everyone knows that Gary passed recruiting off to his assistants... and Patsos, Dickerson... and they were great at it. And now that they've been gone, he's been dead in the water. No talent coming in, no winning on the court to help.

True. Forgot Jones.

He was one of the few truly big names Gary ever went after.

Again, Gary was quoted as much... saying he didn't want to be a used car salesman, just taking talent and passing it on to the bigs. He wanted to coach.

It's a fair enough sentiment, but it's also possible to do both... recruit talent, coach talent, and coach raw players... and make it all work together.

I wouldn't say that.

I was laughing today at people who said "Man, wasn't the student section great tonight!"

Hm.... happens every year... because it's the first game in 40 days that school's been in session!!!

The critics aren't gone and shouldn't be. Beating mighty Miami hardly ends my tirade. Debbie Yow has given him a heavy vote of support... but so what?

Fact is, Ralph and Gary are both pretty damn secure.... in part because of their records... little thanks to their recruiting... but very largely thanks to their ability to keep the biggest donors in the seats game after game, season after season.

Gary, Debbie, Ralph... they could all care less about the student section and 70% of the fans... so long as their big money alum are in the right seats and writing checks.

Mike Jones was a good recruit, but he was not a five star guy. He was ranked as the fourth best two guard coming out and was a four star recruit. Still, better than anything we have had in years. How did this guy never materialize?

Anyways, we should get a young guy who is very active and enthusiastic in recruiting.

How about back on topic... Gary's days are still numbered, I think...

Good article with ESPN on "NEXT"

It came out, just 200 words or so, before Yow threw her support behind Gary. But it pretty much said that whoever inherits this program is inheriting greatness. The Terps, in the ACC, with a National Title under their belts, and so much... are poised to attack at any time. And with the recruiting pipeline in this area that's been so underexploited by Gary, there's only growth to follow.

Very encouraging. Just think... some of the best prospects of the last 5 years in this area wound up not only all over the ACC, but in Georgetown! And until three years ago, Georgetown was NOT a basketball powerhouse anymore! Unbelievable that we were losing such players and names to GU in the wake of a national title.

Very encouraging. Just think... some of the best prospects of the last 5 years in this area wound up not only all over the ACC, but in Georgetown! And until three years ago, Georgetown was NOT a basketball powerhouse anymore! Unbelievable that we were losing such players and names to GU in the wake of a national title.

The pipeline areas in Maryland with all the talent is coming from PG County high schools such as Northwestern and DeMatha. Despite CP's proximity to the area, this area has always been traditionally Hoya territory. It would be an uphill battle for anyone to get these prospects, but certainly not impossible. I believe a new, enthusiastic coach would certainly have a shot.