ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Cundiff Released

cravnravn

Here's Jamison Henley's take:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/53420/ravens-make-gutsy-move-by-cutting-cundiff

Key here is hopefully some other big names get cut in the coming couple weeks and with that extra money we can convince someone to come aboard. We still could use another DE/OLB in my book and even a veteran OT would be good. Not too mention Safety is now a big need after Nakamura and Zibs left and both of our backups got hurt last week.

Here's Jamison Henley's take:

http://espn.go.com/b...cutting-cundiff

Key here is hopefully some other big names get cut in the coming couple weeks and with that extra money we can convince someone to come aboard. We still could use another DE/OLB in my book and even a veteran OT would be good. Not too mention Safety is now a big need after Nakamura and Zibs left and both of our backups got hurt last week.

We dont have to convince anyone..Who dosent want to be part of this Ravens D and Team???

Sorry about Billy but it was the best decision. We get a better kicker and more cap space. How can you not like that?

I'd really like to see them pick up a pass rush guy but are there any out there better than what we've got?

Best of luck to him (except when facing the ravens). Nobody liked that miss but he handled the aftermath like a champ. I am of the belief that he will be a stronger kicker because of that miss, but there is no way to know that for sure. I agree with Harbs decision to go with Tucker. Especially since Harbs seems keen on taking as many 50+ attempts as possible and that wasn't Billy's strong suit.

Here's the point...

Cundiff left himself vulnerable, and it goes beyond that monumental miss in New England. He missed 10 field goal attempts last season, converting 75.7 percent of his tries. When you look at Cundiff's track record, the 2011 season was typical for Cundiff, who has a career 76.7 success rate. His Pro Bowl season, in which he connected on nearly 90 percent of his kicks, was the anomaly.

http://espn.go.com/b...cutting-cundiff

Cundiff bounced around to 5-6 teams for a reason. It's not the same as when they parted ways with Matt Stover.

Tucker has yet to make a FG in a regular season NFL game. We'll have to live with that throughout the season as he wins the teams confidence by showing he's the man.

As a fan, I'd rather live with that, than have a "Cundiff Watch" all year while waiting for him to implode or miss a game winner in the playoffs. I don't feel good about the guy especially after the "I'll take my services elsewhere" comment. That probably cost him the job.

This town is not behind him and that would be a distraction all season for Harbaugh and the team.

Tucker physically has the goods. He's got good coaches around him. He's young and seems to be riding a confidence and emotional wave heading into the season.

Either way we'll be having our fingers crossed when our kicker comes on the field this year. The days of Stover and the automatic bathroom breaks are gone.

Edited by vmax

IMO its best for both. Cundiff would have been under a microscope, like Max said fans sitting waiting for a screw up. Cundiff really turned me off during at the beginning of training camp. Any of guys remember the "I'm in competition with myself" quote. Then he made the "I'll take my services elsewhere" quote. I think he knew before game he was getting cut. Tucker won the job outright, I just hope fans give him the leeway when he makes the eventual rookie mistakes that hopefully don't cost us games.

I had no problems going into the season with Cundiff as our kicker but it was clear for all to see that the rookie beat him out of a job. If Billy couldn't withstand the pressure of competition with a rookie how the hell was he ever going to kick us into the Superbowl?

Sorry Billy, good luck with wherever you end up but don't let the Castle gates smack you on the ass on your way out.

• Upvote 1

I had no problems going into the season with Cundiff as our kicker but it was clear for all to see that the rookie beat him out of a job. If Billy couldn't withstand the pressure of competition with a rookie how the hell was he ever going to kick us into the Superbowl?

Sorry Billy, good luck with wherever you end up but don't let the Castle gates smack you on the ass on your way out.

lot of truth in that statement. but Tucker better perform. lol

I can't find the stats unfortunately, but I think the choke job in the NE game wasn't the only problem with Billy last year. If I remember right, he missed some other makeable FGs during the season that hurt.

All in all, I think Cundiff can be and will be a successful kicker this year.

But Tucker won the job outright. His college coach said he made all the tough ones last year as well as punting for his team.

I wish Tucker a long and super career.

Cundiff's record beyond 50 yards is atrocious.

That is where I see the biggest difference between Cundiff and Tucker.

His miss against NE didn't help him of course, but as a kicker you either need to be able to hit those really long FGs from time to time or be automatic from a certain distance like Stover. Cundiff is neither.

So Tucker has kicked a FG longer than 50 yds? I looked at his stats and see no attempts.

Yes...Thursday night he hit a 53 yarder.

And this from Preston today...

...If you thought he would take it easy after Cundiff was cut, Tucker converted on field goals of 61 and 63 yards in practice Monday.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-preseason-ravens-3-jaguars-0-20120823,0,769110.photogallery

Edited by vmax

I just gave you some stats...of course he has no NFL stats. He's never played a regular season game but Thursday nights pre season game 53 yarder was sweet...right down the middle with plenty of distance.

He can punt too....and tackle.

Lions_Ravens_Football_111572_team.jpg