ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Cundiff Released

cravnravn

I looked at his stats and see no attempts.

For every player in the NFL there is a moment in time when you can look at his stats and see no attempts of anything, pass, tackle, whatever else you can think of. You cannot use that as an excuse to never give someone a chance.

Cundiff has a career average FG % of 76.7. Hauschka, during the season he was released was at 69% and this preseason is at 88.9%.

Do I expect Tucker to be perfect going forward? No, but there is nothing coming out of training camp or that I can see in the preseason games that gives me reason not to believe he could do better than kicking FGs with an average accuracy of ~75%.

Tucker's going to have to cut his teeth like any other rookie. In the long run I think Tucker has more upside (younger, cheaper, and better leg). Unless Cundiff goes onto a HOF career then cutting him I don't think harms us. Lets face it Cundiff was brought in for touchbacks and with the new rules that's not a big deal.

Is Hausch good now? I wouldn't recommend riding that out. He was a disaster. There are rookie misses that you have to ride out, but Hausch's meltdown is not something you ride out. I agree with your assessment that rooks need patience however that patience has it's limits and Hausch certainly pushed way past that line. On top of that, everything he projected, body language etc, was that he was broken. There's no way we could have continued with him.

Is Hausch good now? I wouldn't recommend riding that out. He was a disaster. There are rookie misses that you have to ride out, but Hausch's meltdown is not something you ride out. I agree with your assessment that rooks need patience however that patience has it's limits and Hausch certainly pushed way past that line. On top of that, everything he projected, body language etc, was that he was broken. There's no way we could have continued with him.

Steven Hauschka

I would say serviceable.

Exactly, so I wouldn't say we made the wrong choice at that time.

I have to disagree.

In 2009, Hauschka was at 69% FG accuracy when he was released. Cundiff in 2009 for the Ravens? 70.6%!

In 2010 Hauschka only played in 4 games (85%). Cundiff had his best season ever at 89% FG accuracy.

Which brings us to 2011 where Hauschka once again played a full season. 83% for Hauschka and 75% FG accuracy for Cundiff.

Should have stuck with Hauschka although I think Tucker is better than both of them.

I have to disagree. In 2009, Hauschka was at 69% FG accuracy when he was released. Cundiff in 2009 for the Ravens? 70.6%! In 2010 Hauschka only played in 4 games (85%). Cundiff had his best season ever at 89% FG accuracy. Which brings us to 2011 where Hauschka once again played a full season. 83% for Hauschka and 75% FG accuracy for Cundiff. Should have stuck with Hauschka although I think Tucker is better than both of them.

Fair enough, that's a good assessment. However, I just don't think Haush was going to get better here. The train was coming off the tracks and the coaching staff could not wait to see if he could right the ship. Now with a playoff run in line. So, in the end, I would still make the same decision.

I agree that young kickers may miss a kick or two. Hausch was missing horribly and with frequency. With a playoff team, we just don't have that luxury to allow them to work through it. If Tucker misses one or two kicks here and there and they're just off, I can see the coaching staff saying that's growing pains. If he starts shanking kicks miserably he'll be booted quickly. Is what it is. Personally I think this kid is going to be really good. He does not seem like the usual fragile ego'd kicker.

Well Stover is impressed by him...we know you're not.

I've been impressed by him," Stover told The Sun. "Justin kicks a clean ball. My initial thought on Justin is that he has a great attitude about about him, the why-not-me attitude. He carries a confidence about him. You can tell by the way he attacks the ball. There's no hesitancy and there's a lot of confidence behind his kicks. I prided myself on how clean I could hit a ball: getting the ball to the target fast and clean, and I think he does both of them."
Edited by vmax

I'm all for this move. Yes we need to allow Tucker to occassionaly miss a long mid-long one but it looks like his potential is through the roof and that he's at least as good as Cundiff is now. After all, we KNOW Cundiff had a bad year last season so I'm ready to go with the kid.

I liked Stover's comment about Tucker's confidence. I also like the fact that Tucker kicks a straight ball. With his leg and confidence its a good move for the Ravens long term and short term.

Max, this has been one of Sport's great mysteries to me...it must have a lot to do with Showalter?

It's a total Mystery.

It defies all the winning principles of the game.

I did follow baseball real heavy for decades and statisicly they should be in last place. They lead in the wrong stats...and win!

Yea...Buck is a huge part...he's making dinner fit for a King with McDonalds ingredients. Hat's off to Andy (Tillman and Jones), and Dan must have some deal with the Devil cause he's bringing in guys nobody else wants and they are winning games as soon as they get on the field. This does not happen.

Buck better get Manager of the Year.