ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Preacher/Steelers fan stopping by again . . .

Preacher

Making one of my two annual pilgrimages to this site to say hi.

This was the part of the year I was really looking forward too. Ravens twice in three weeks, Browns twice between now and the end of the season, and the Bungles one more time as well. Then Ben got hurt, and everything isn't as exciting. Nevertheless, the game still has to be played. So - I haven't watched a Ravens' game all season. I've seen scores, and the stats tell me that you're somewhat weaker against the run than in previous years. I hope it's true, because the Steelers are going to have to dominate the run game to take this one I think.

My predictions:

1. Whoever wins, it will be within 7-10 points (not counting a last minute pick 6 or fumble return for TD).
  2. Both teams will end the game with more injuries than they started with.
  3. There will be at least two separate instances that could be considered "fighting" in the NFL.
  4. Someone is going to get laid out, and the hitter is going to get a nice fine from the NFL.

Besides that, I'm not willing to make any predictions. Before Ben was injured, I'd say I liked our chances of winning. Now, I have to give the Ravens the edge, and admit it's going to be an uphill battle for the Steelers, but I do think it's possible for them to actually climb that hill.

Other than that, hope Hurricane Sandy didn't cause too much trouble to everyone - and I read Vmax came through surgery. Good to hear (though it freaked me out, because at first I thought "max" was "Max Starks" and since it is Ravens/Steelers week, of course that'd be big news on a Ravens board. Thank God it wasn't - though I think Vmax would have gladly switched places on the table).

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game won't be close without Ben. I'm not talking smack, I'm just saying, without Ben the Steelers are a very flawed team. Ben, despite my personal feelings towards him for his off the field BS, is an ELITE QB. He's been keeping an average team afloat with some impressive passing out of an offensive system that I did not think he could be successful in. I guess that's why I'm not an NFL coach haha. If Ben comes back for the 2nd set it will be a much different game. Our pass rush is starting to gather some momentum, Lefty isn't much more mobile than a statue of Abraham Lincoln.

The Steelers can run the ball. Our run defense has also improved. I don't think we're "good" against the run, I think we're just good enough not to lose a game to a one dimensional team.

Hey Preacher, thanks for stopping by.

Good analysis I agree,with Ben it would have been you typical Ravens/Steelers who ever has the ball last wins game. With the injury to Ben most of that luster is gone. From our stand point if we lose, the team needs some serious soul searching and any SB hopes would be dashed.

I am not a homer or "smacker" but this game is close (w or w/o Ben) and agree with Papa on the 3 pt margin. Here's why:

1. Pittsburgh will be pumped - its at home, they will rally around Ben absence, and they will play with a great sense of urgency (cannot afford to fall 2 games back of us).

2. Our run D still blows - We gave up ca. 100 yards to Trent Richardson 2 weeks ago and Oakland was down to a its 10th string RB. The Steelers have to and will pound the rock. Their run game is legit - its not Houstonlike - but its effective.

3. Pittsburgh has the No 1 D - not even close - and has shut down virtually everyone in recent weeks - impressive D against the Skins' RGIII and the Giants (in NY no less).

LeBeau will be throwing the kitchen sink at Cam and Joe. They can moved on but Cam and O have to be smart and patient and keep Joe in a comfort zone.

4. We are on the road and unless Cam, Joe and the O prove otherwise, we just dont show up away from M & T. Granted its the Steelers, but its the Ravens on the road.

5. Byron Leftwich, who lacks Ben's physicality, elusiveness and ability to extend the play to the last painstaking nanosecond, is still a decent, seasoned veteran with a cannon. He's not some bum off the street and, compared to most NFL teams, he's one of the best No 2 QBs in the league. Steelers are damn lucky to have him on the roster.

Yep, notwithstanding a few bad calls and/or gamechanging TOs, I see a close game. Hey, its Steeelers-Ravens

:gorave:

No way I could watch this game today. I'd bust everything up. It would set my surgery back a week.

Remember: The Ravens are playing without some very good players in Webb and Lewis. Jimmy Smith might not play. Then Reed and Ngata will play injured. Suggs is just getting back. The Ravens haters will overlook these facts should the Ravens win.

Home field advantage.

Steelers have a very good defense. It helps.

I think the Ravens will win despite that.

I am not a homer or "smacker" but this game is close (w or w/o Ben) and agree with Papa on the 3 pt margin. Here's why:

1. Pittsburgh will be pumped - its at home, they will rally around Ben absence, and they will play with a great sense of urgency (cannot afford to fall 2 games back of us).

2. Our run D still blows - We gave up ca. 100 yards to Trent Richardson 2 weeks ago and Oakland was down to a its 10th string RB. The Steelers have to and will pound the rock. Their run game is legit - its not Houstonlike - but its effective.

3. Pittsburgh has the No 1 D - not even close - and has shut down virtually everyone in recent weeks - impressive D against the Skins' RGIII and the Giants (in NY no less).

LeBeau will be throwing the kitchen sink at Cam and Joe. They can moved on but Cam and O have to be smart and patient and keep Joe in a comfort zone.

4. We are on the road and unless Cam, Joe and the O prove otherwise, we just dont show up away from M & T. Granted its the Steelers, but its the Ravens on the road.

5. Byron Leftwich, who lacks Ben's physicality, elusiveness and ability to extend the play to the last painstaking nanosecond, is still a decent, seasoned veteran with a cannon. He's not some bum off the street and, compared to most NFL teams, he's one of the best No 2 QBs in the league. Steelers are damn lucky to have him on the roster.

Yep, notwithstanding a few bad calls and/or gamechanging TOs, I see a close game. Hey, its Steeelers-Ravens

:gorave:

Exactimondo!

No, I'm comparing last year's team and this year's team for both. You asked when the last time there was a blow-out. I simply answered.

In any case, this year's Steeler team is really struggling. They're lost to Denver, the Raiders, and Tennesee.

The teams they've beaten aren't much to write home about. I think this year's Steelers team is very flawed. Pitt would get walloped by Houston. We beat the Pats.

We walloped the Bengals and Raiders. Had a few close ones, but all in all, we've dealth with injuries and we're still rollin.

I think we win this one easy. Maybe not a blowout, but we'll control the game.

So that yr the Squealers were as good as they are now at running the ball and the Ravens run D was this poor. Seems like you are using selective situations to make an eval.

Maybe he doesnt know the steelers have three backs that have had 100 yard games this year. red has 100 recieving dwyer had back to back 100 games and mendy is mendy.

No, I'm comparing last year's team and

I this year's team for both. You asked when the last time there was a blow-out. I simply answered.

In any case, this year's Steeler team is really struggling. They're lost to Denver, the Raiders, and Tennesee.

The teams they've beaten aren't much to write home about. I think this year's Steelers team is very flawed. Pitt would get walloped by Houston. We beat the Pats.

We walloped the Bengals and Raiders. Had a few close ones, but all in all, we've dealth with injuries and we're still rollin.

I think we win this one easy. Maybe not a blowout, but we'll control the game.

You are using games from the begining of this year when the steelers were installing a new offense and finding out what worked and what didnt. Ask any coach and the will tell you the season doesnt really begin until november. Remember when the vikes and cards looked great earlier this year how about now. With ben in there this years team is better then last years. Last year we had no oline and no running game. This years team has balance and you will see it on sunday. The quick passing offense will help with lefties release problems plus he imo throws a better deep ball then ben does. i dont see where you could point to and say last years team was better because they werent. Lewis is a huge upgrade over gay on defense other then that they are the same team on d.

Lets reach closure here - it'll be a typical Ravens-Steelers slobberknocker !

BTW. Jimmy Smith having groin surgery - officially out next several weeks.

This could be a really interesting game due to injuries i really wish both teams were 100% because i think it would be a great game then. So yinze have lost webb and smith in your secondary and reed is hurting and we are missing ben in our passing ga,e and maybe brown they havent said anything about him.

The last time Big Ben was laid out by Bart Scott.

Speaking of Ben, this just in from the wire...

Pittsburgh - (AP) – Ben Roethlisberger might have had to go to the hospital Sunday night after his team beat the Kansas City Chiefs in overtime, but teammates who accompanied him for an MRI and CT scan on his injured rib and shoulder say his legendary toughness was on display even in the emergency room.

Rookie center Maurkice Pouncy said, “I had to help Ben in there like carrying a wounded vet off the battlefield. But once he got a look at that 16 year old candystriper, it was on. Ben chased her down the hall, dragged her into a supply closet and raped the living s**t out of her. He’s a gamer, that’s all I can tell you.”

Team trainer William Sheldon witnessed the attack, and was likewise impressed, “Ben could barely move that arm. You wouldn’t think he could even get out of that wheel chair. But he answered the bell. That girl might have run track in high school, I mean she was fast. But people underestimate Ben’s athleticism. He chased her down like nothing was wrong. We were all cheering, even the medical staff in the emergency room.”

Teammate Willie Colon was likewise impressed, “People forget Ben didn’t start raping until college. He’s had to develop his whole game here in the last few years. I thought I was going to have to chase this little hospital volunteer for him, but I was wrong. Ben can just rape through pain like no one I’ve ever seen. He’s my hero.”

The victim called Pittsburgh police, but no charges were filed. Seargent Andy Fife said, “This wasn’t rape, this was just kids having fun. That girl had a few beers in her, I think. Anyway, Ben’s just like a big puppy dog. If he did rape her, she’s one lucky gal!”

Gerth Derblunsky, the victim’s cousin said, “I really wanted her for my child cousin-wife, but now that Ben’s had her, her dad will probably keep her for hisself. Dang.”

:sing: