ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Preacher/Steelers fan stopping by again . . .

Preacher

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll agree that the season doesn't start until November. However your running back by committee was successful because Ben was such a threat throwing the ball. The Steelers are a one dimensional team without Ben, period. The Ravens would be in the same boat without Flacco. You are not going to beat the Ravens with a one dimensional team. Not in November when the Ravens are starting to hit their stride.

I don't think this game is going to be traditional Ravens Steelers football. That's my opinion and it's out in left field like Papa's the sky if falling predictions. I think we will be very successful at Pitt Sunday. If Ben was playing it would be an entirely different matter.

But if the Ravens are trailing late in the fourth quarter, Flacco will feel quite at home with the ball in his hands.

"Believe me, I don't think we all want to have that [situation] happen. We want to go out and win a game like we did Sunday," said Flacco, referring to the 35-point blowout of the Raiders. "But if that's how it has to be done -- which is likely against these guys because they're a good team -- then yeah, we're ready to do it."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/59027/pittsburgh-is-flaccos-home-away-from-home

steelerssuck.jpg

I'll agree that the season doesn't start until November. However your running back by committee was successful because Ben was such a threat throwing the ball. The Steelers are a one dimensional team without Ben, period. The Ravens would be in the same boat without Flacco. You are not going to beat the Ravens with a one dimensional team. Not in November when the Ravens are starting to hit their stride.

I don't think this game is going to be traditional Ravens Steelers football. That's my opinion and it's out in left field like Papa's the sky if falling predictions. I think we will be very successful at Pitt Sunday. If Ben was playing it would be an entirely different matter.

If the ravens secondary was at full strength i would agree with you but your fourth corner is now starting and you fifth is playing in the nickel. I know i wouldnt be putting eight in the box with that.

The biggest issue that's faced the Steelers defense over the last four years is fourth quarter defense. Especially this season, it was horrible. However, the last four games has been a complete turn around from the first five games. Here's the stats - percent improvement in the last four games over the first five (and remember, all but one of those first five games were either won, or lost by a single score).

The defense faced 46% more drives in the fourth quarter, however:

1. They faced 22% less plays (shut down the opposing offense).

2. The allowed 61% fewer first downs per fourth quarter (2.5 average over the last four fourth quarters).

3. They've allowed .75 (point seven five) points per fourth quarter (91% better).

4. They're 68% better in total yards allowed (38 yards per fourth quarter average).

5. They've only allowed one field goal to tie a game - as opposed to allowing two drives to win.

6. They're 400% better on three-and-outs over the last four games (8 drives, or in other words, only 1.5 drives per fourth quarter were anything other than a three and out).

That is the clearest indication that the defense that teams faced at the beginning of the year (Raiders, Titans, Broncos - our losses) is not the same defense taking the field now. I suspect that they will be able to keep this game within one score, and almost shut down the Ravens in the fourth quarter. The question then, is whether the Ravens defense can disrupt the Steelers offense enough.

Now, I know everyone is laughing about Leftwich as QB - but has anyone taken a look at his numbers with Pittsburgh? He has no INT's and a QB rating of 92.6 while playing in Pittsburgh. Also, this isn't a rookie or a guy with a couple years experience. This is a vet that has played against the Ravens a number of times, and has a full week of first team practice now. IMO, he presents a much bigger down-field threat because of his cannon of an arm (and he's accurate with it). So if the Ravens choose to cram the box and leave the CB's on an island. A deep, outside pass to Sanders or Wallace will make them pay for that mistake quickly.

We're also getting Mendenhall back for the game. I'm split between two lines of thought here. One is that he's rusty and that's bad news when decided on hitting the hole or finding creases. The other however, is that he's a very fresh body going up against a Raven's team in their tenth game with a run defense that is struggling. Sure, the yards per rush average looks good for the Ravens, but in the last four games, the Ravens D is actually allowing 4.45 yards per rush, which when compared to the overall average, is 28th in the league.

Of course, I'd be stupid to say that the above stats means the Steelers are going to win. In reality (and I think I've said this every time I've come over here) in these games, stats mean very little. I was also about to post that blowouts are few and far in between. However I realized that's not true. For all the close games we've had, there's also been 11 blowouts (two TD's or more) in the last 34 games (pretty much tied at 6-5 Steelers).

Anyway, all that to say that I don't think losing Ben is going to have the impact the Ravens think it will. Against some of the other teams, sure. But the way the defense is going to get up for this game (on both sides), and the offense as well (on both sides), and the fact that we do have a veteran QB in this league that can win games, it'd be just another normal Steelers/Ravens game.

For crying out loud, Leftwich is your QB. He hasn't won a game he's started in 6 consecutive starts. He's got the slowest delivery in the NFL and he's played sparingly the past few years. He's not going to be ready to QB against an NFL team.

On the defensive front, this Pitt team hasn't shut down any great offense. They've played against subpar talent and they've been hurt in the run.

They're a great team with Ben and I was concerned about this game with him available. However, a one dimensional team (defense) with half an offense just isn't going to beat the Ravens no matter how many stats are thrown out there. It's not going to happen.

I'm not saying the Steelers aren't a good team. I'm saying without Ben they're just not good enough to beat the Ravens.

True, but look at the teams he started for in those starts, none of them had the foundational pieces around them that the Steelers have. Also, except for one big run against the steelers by the Raiders, the run really hasn't hurt us per se. Last week featured two excellent running backs - regardless of the team itself, and even then, it wasn't enough.

As far as playing subpar talent, I beg to differ. We've played against Chris Johnson (4th in rushing leaders), Jamaal Charles (9th on the rushing list), McGahee (12 on the rushing list), Ahmad Bradshaw (13 on the rushing list), Shonn Greene (18) and BenJarvus Green-Ellis (19 on the list) So, of the top 40 RB's, That's not really "subpar." Looking team effort and Rank, KC is ranked 4, followed by the Giants (13), Tennessee (17), and the Jets (16), all ahead of the Ravens in rushing. Again, whatever you call them, they rank ahead of the Ravens. Also keep in mind, that even though we faced what, four teams in the top half of the rankings (or close), we're actually 5th against the run per game - and once again, that includes allowing a horribly long run by the Raiders early in the year. No, I think our defense will surprise you.

On offense, I'm not saying that Leftwich is even close to Ben's talent, or that we won't suffer because if it. I am saying however, that Leftwich still gives the Steelers a chance to win the game. Is it a smaller window? Absolutely, but I'm a lot more confident with him as QB than I would be with the bottom third of starting QB's in this league.

Preacher...I agree that Byron gives the Steelers a better chance to win than say a Brady Quinn. And.... he is not facing the usual Ravens defense or you'd have "no shot".

Starks and Brown will be out so that doesn't help him. He had hisd shot at winning a starting job in the NFL and failed. He's on the bench for a reason. He's calm and relaxed because he hasn't had to do anything...no burden to sholder. It will be different Sunday night.

This is going to be a great game because the injuries to both teams make it a level playing field. Strap it on and beat the shit out of each other.

And that's what bothers me. For the Steelers: this is their season. They know it. They know they have been losing to the Ravens...twice in the last 2 years at home. They know they won't win in Baltimore. They will fight and claw to the end. That desperation has me worried.

what's even funnier?

bengalbilly and fantasy nascar !!!!! ;-P

Alright already. After winning the championship last year season, I'm a mess this year. Can't win 'em all. :cryin1:

Cmon man. KC, the Jets and Tennesee??? Whats their combined record? All three of those teams lost because they're one dimensional teams that are not even awesome at that one dimension.

We've played Houston and New England. And you cant include the Giants, they just got trounced by Cinci.

Just to let you know the Ravens barely beat KC. 2 games are the difference between teh Ravens and Squealers schedules.

Just to let you know the Ravens barely beat KC. 2 games are the difference between teh Ravens and Squealers schedules.

Add to that the fact that KC actually is one of the best run teams in the NFL, and it shows you just what a good running game can do for the rest of the team. It won't get a team into the playoffs anymore (A good run first, run only team), but it will still help out tremendously. Also, Titan and Jets were part of the Steelers first 5 games, where we admittedly sucked on defense. No other way to state it. However, at least on defense, everything really started coming together. As far as our offense goes, I'm not as worried, even about last week, because Steelers players are saying that KC defensive players were calling out the offensive plays before the ball was snapped. They knew the system well enough to really muck it up.

Vmax - funny thing is, I think the Steelers fans are feeling about the same way concerning this game. For the first time, neither team is going in with confidence that they're going to win the game. That either means that this is going to be a sloppy game, or it's going to be one of those games that intensifies the rivalry because something strange/wierd/unforeseen happens . . . you know, like a Steelers/Ravens game without a fight.

Oh - and probably the last time I pop by until the game's over. So enjoy yourself tomorrow everyone - I just hope you don't enjoy it too much. I'll be back by, win or lose sometime next week.

what did that do for ya in the end?

nada

LOL LOL

all that wasted gatorade by the ravens throughout the year last year

LOL LOL

Oh that was SWEET! Nothing like seeing "that far away look" on the Steelers players and fans fans faces.

We are here to watch football games right?

309866560-13102218.jpg

dumping gatorade on the coach's head after game one of the season

as silly as doing a td celebration while losing by 3 scores

and to continue doing it all season long even more silly.

like a baseball team storming the pitcher mound in april may june

Worth the celebration...spanking you biggest division rival opening day and starting the season with a leg up. It was a big win. In the end it meant home field advantage.

When discussing matters such as this we need to remeber...it could be worse. We could be living in Cleveland.