ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens/Steelers thoughts

vmax

byron-leftwich.jpg?w=600&h=333

That was one of the ugliest Ravens wins that I've seen and it felt good. It brought back memories of Ugly.

It's damn nice comming out with a win at Pittsburgh....any kind of win and the Ravens are doing that regularly.

Short story: Jacoby Jones, Special Teams and the D saved the day.

"I double up on tranqulizers before road games."

Ravens_Steelers_Football_119930_team.jpg

Actually where Joe did good was to avoiding the costly turnover and let Pittsburgh lose the game. He has firmly established himself as a "not a good QB on the road".

Cory Graham and Ihedibo were a huge difference in this game....welcome to the Ravens.

Pollard was out of his mind and so was Kruger. Their motors ran non stop.

But....8-2 looks real sweet at this point of the season with the tough stretch ahead. 2 games up on the Steelers and they have no shot in our house.

Ravens_Steelers_Football_119925_team.jpg

Flacco needs to be better. He avoided making a big mistake and his numbers look decent but he did not have a good night IMO. A number of his throws were goofy decisions throwing into double coverage. And numerous times replays showed open players that Flacco didnt see or chose not to throw to. The Steelers are a good team, but their QB was not having a good night and the Ravens run defense was doing a decent job and yet the game was still in doubt until the end. If we don't get a special teams TD, do we even win?

Oh well, a win is a win and 8-2 is damn good.

Before I forget I wanted to complain about the insanity of calling a pass on our last 3rd an 2. Yes a first down ends the game immediately, but why the fuck do you want to risk stopping the clock and giving them a second more than you absolutely have to? Much less an INT, considering how good their coverage was all night and that our passing game was just not getting it done? As far as I'm concerned we're lucky Joe was sacked and nobody got hurt on the play.

We've seen how that movie ends way too many times. Fuck you Cam.

Joe

Before I forget I wanted to complain about the insanity of calling a pass on our last 3rd an 2. Yes a first down ends the game immediately, but why the fuck do you want to risk stopping the clock and giving them a second more than you absolutely have to?

You have to give props to Joe for taking the sack, but after the play I couldn't help think a QB draw would have been nice. When I saw the formation I thought it was going to be a handoff to Ray on a HB draw. After watching the play I think Joe should have pumped once to Torrey and then took off.

Like max said, Joe has to lay off the tranqs before road games.

Joe

You have to give props to Joe for taking the sack, but after the play I couldn't help think a QB draw would have been nice. When I saw the formation I thought it was going to be a handoff to Ray on a HB draw. After watching the play I think Joe should have pumped once to Torrey and then took off.

Like max said, Joe has to lay off the tranqs before road games.

Yup, whatever Joe's issue is on the road, Caldwell needs to get it figured out and fixed.

That's not true Dickson was open at 4 times and Joe missed him. Joe also overthrew at least 3 WRs.

Im peeved at Joe targeting Torrey 7 times completing only 1 pass to him..Torrey Smith was double covered 4 out of those 7 targets, that means someone else is open!!

Im peeved at Joe targeting Torrey 7 times completing only 1 pass to him..Torrey Smith was double covered 4 out of those 7 targets, that means someone else is open!!

Absolutely they were, Joe needs to recognize immediately that Torrey is doubled and go to his 2nd and 3rd progression. Also, if the underneath is covered can't we run the out and up? Doesn't that mean there is not deep safety help? I just think there were numerous ways to attack Pitt and we just kept trying the same ole same ole. Cam's in game ability to adapt to what the defense is throwing at him is perplexing.

Absolutely they were, Joe needs to recognize immediately that Torrey is doubled and go to his 2nd and 3rd progression. Also, if the underneath is covered can't we run the out and up? Doesn't that mean there is not deep safety help? I just think there were numerous ways to attack Pitt and we just kept trying the same ole same ole. Cam's in game ability to adapt to what the defense is throwing at him is perplexing.

What Pitt were doing against Torrey was running the safety underneath and keeping the CB deep. What we should have been doing to counteract that was running a 2nd receiver be it Dickson or Jones deep from the same side as Torrey. That would put pressure on Pitt to either start dropping their safety deep again or make the CB make a decision on who to cover. You got to think that inside deep zone would be available to be attacked if the safety keeps taking away the underneath stuff from Torrey.

That said, Joe just wasn't on it. A lot of his passes sailed high for whatever reason. I think he lost his comfort blanket in Pitta and he doesn't trust Dickson enough yet. Still, Joe had Boldin, Jones and Ray to throw too as well so no excuse.

Yager, thats not on Cam, Joe needs to recognize the coverage at the line of scrimmage..If he reads Torrey is double covered, their has to be a hot read to Boldin or Dickson..If he reads it and throws to Dickson and he drops it, then it becomes our job to blast Dickson, but to not read it, and throw into double coverage, well nothing good can come out of that, and thats on Joe.

Yager, thats not on Cam, Joe needs to recognize the coverage at the line of scrimmage..If he reads Torrey is double covered, their has to be a hot read to Boldin or Dickson..If he reads it and throws to Dickson and he drops it, then it becomes our job to blast Dickson, but to not read it, and throw into double coverage, well nothing good can come out of that, and thats on Joe.

Just as stated above, Pitt was disguising the coverage and running the safety under at the last minute. This is an in game read and react that Joe has to recognize. It's Cam's (and the offensive staff) job to let Joe know this is happening and to disregard his first read. Make the other routes the hot and routes and first read routes. They need to move away from first reads that are taken away by a good defense. Joe is on the phone all the damn time, this stuff has to either be relayed or if it is relayed......Joe it needs to sink in.

What Pitt were doing against Torrey was running the safety underneath and keeping the CB deep. What we should have been doing to counteract that was running a 2nd receiver be it Dickson or Jones deep from the same side as Torrey. That would put pressure on Pitt to either start dropping their safety deep again or make the CB make a decision on who to cover. You got to think that inside deep zone would be available to be attacked if the safety keeps taking away the underneath stuff from Torrey.

That said, Joe just wasn't on it. A lot of his passes sailed high for whatever reason. I think he lost his comfort blanket in Pitta and he doesn't trust Dickson enough yet. Still, Joe had Boldin, Jones and Ray to throw too as well so no excuse.

Joe did take one good hit and I think that may have put him off his game a little. It's tough to keep throwing good passes when you're hurting. The high passes I thought came after the big hit, what do you think?

Joe's O-line stunk (granted vs Pitt D), had no running game and Pitta was out = uncomfortable Joe.

Maybe warming climate in SD, resurrected running game and healthy Pitta (cleared from concussion) will give Joe a comfort level.

Rivers and SD's O are going to a have a quatum leap in performance vs Sunday's performance from the Steelers and BL.

Without Ed Reed, even with a seemingly renewed def backfield (albeit against BL), our D is going to be significantly tested on Sunday.

All that said, Cam (after he pulls his head out of his arse), Joe and the offense needs to once and for all exorcise this demon which is our inability to

score on the friggin road. Its time to get out of this funk and unleash this beast ! :yeah:

Joe did take one good hit and I think that may have put him off his game a little. It's tough to keep throwing good passes when you're hurting. The high passes I thought came after the big hit, what do you think?

I'm not sure Yager. Perhaps he got a little bit antsy. Whatever was the cause, his mechanics looked sloppy. On a few of the passes the ball didn't look like it was fired off his hand. On a couple it almost looked like it slipped out of his hand and sailed way over the receiver. It was lucky that it happened on side line routes. If you do that shit over the middle, the FS is taking it back the other way.

I'm not sure Yager. Perhaps he got a little bit antsy. Whatever was the cause, his mechanics looked sloppy. On a few of the passes the ball didn't look like it was fired off his hand. On a couple it almost looked like it slipped out of his hand and sailed way over the receiver. It was lucky that it happened on side line routes. If you do that shit over the middle, the FS is taking it back the other way.

Its possible Joe got hurt. I have definitely noticed his play falls off if he's in pain. Maybe that explains his 'zoned out' look too.