ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Harbaugh Wanted Reed Gone

deeshopper

Everyone in the city saw that Mattison was not working well at DC. They got better when Pagono took over. I wish they still had the old posts because I think I remember you calling out Mattison as well.

I believe you. You call everyone out.

First, Harbs didn't say that to any fan in particular. He said it in an interview in response to questions about fans who were complaining in general. And the full quote includes a defense of his team, his players and his staff; "I'm proud... and if that's not enough for you, go find another team to cheer for..."

Second, yes, this could be a brilliantly "shrewd" move. Strong support for his team and his players in the face of criticism - always seems like a good idea. Also shows off some of that tenacity and fight that people sometimes say he is missing. And lastly, we all bitch about the non-stop bitching from certain people in this sport and every sport. We all bitch about fickle fans who want to turn their backs after one game. And we all love when those fickle fans get it shoved in their face - just like everyone loves seeing the douchebag in class get reamed by the teacher.

So shrewd he has you fooled into thinking he was actually upset.

Crazy....... like a fox.

(Do I actually know or even believe all of this? Of course not. But it's just as easy to talk it up to being genius as it is to dumb it down to being silly. Given his reputation of always being in control of the 'message' - one that is not necessarily positive - how can you so easily say this isn't all part of his message?

I again return to a point brought up in another thread - if you've ever coached anything or taught anything, you'd know about this. You'd know that there are days when you walk in saying "this is what my team needs..." and regardless of whether it's in character, that's what you deliver. Today, the fans needed an ass-kicking. Here it is, delivered by a coach in defense of his players.)

I didn't realize my opinion of the team was important to him.

You should call John on his radio show. Again.

Purge yourself....free yourself....and would you please find a way to reduce the size of that photo in your signature.

You should call John on his radio show. Again.

Purge yourself....free yourself....and would you please find a way to reduce the size of that photo in your signature.

LOL: I turned his signature off under my user management profile.

So what??? I'd say the same thing too, to many armchair GM's in this town. If you think you know how to run the team better, then why are the armchair GM's not working in the NFL?

Dont feed me the Vinnie BS, if he was any f'n good he'd still have a job in the NFL, who couldnt be the GM of the Redskins? Hes the main reason I Stopped streaming 105.7, that and the knuckleheads that place blame on Flaccos contract for all the releases.

There will always be reaction to the teams actions, and it is never correct!!

After all the cuts, all the bitching and moaning, then the Ravens let the market come to their budget, we have a better team than the 2012 Ravens.

A LOT of truth there, Crav. I don't listen to the crazies on the radio. And we were right to let the market come to our budget. But, I don't think we're a better team than last year's---yet.

Here Kevin Byrnes response to this nonsense....

I’m Pissed

Here it is: I really got pissed this week when a Baltimore sports columnist, someone who is paid for his opinions, wrote this line: "But Ravens coach John Harbaugh wanted (Ed) Reed back as much as he wants a root canal."

The writer didn't say that this was his opinion. He wrote it as a fact – as if he had talked to Harbs at some point, and that our head coach had indicated that to him. Well, that didn't happen. Fact is the sentence in no way reflected John's feelings about the future Hall of Famer Reed.

A few hours after the story was first posted online, this was the Pro Football Talk headline: "JOHN HARBAUGH WANTED ED REED GONE." (Pro Football Talk, owned by NBC, is one of the most popular sports websites in the country.) Later in the day, "Harbaugh not wanting Reed" became a topic throughout the ESPN world – TV and radio.

The reporter's line had now become a national story.

Oh man, this had gotten big, and the Ravens were being asked to respond to the "report out of Baltimore that Harbaugh wanted Reed out – that Reed was like a root canal."

You know what, Ed Reed deserves better. So does John Harbaugh. The line was inconsiderate, offensive and not the truth.

I know this, if Harbs had read a line from the Houston Post that said: "Reed wanted to play for John Harbaugh as much as he wants a root canal," John would be hurt – and surprised. He would likely assume that Ed said that to some reporter. He would question if his friendship with Ed was a sham and that maybe he had been conned by the safety.

The Power Of The Press

That's the power of the press. That's the power of those who buy ink by the barrel. They have the ability to affect relationships and friendships. This time, I'm not telling Harbs to "forget about it."

This time I'm saying to our friend Ed Reed, our Hall of Famer who will be a Raven for the rest of his life after he spends some time with the Texans: John Harbaugh never indicated to anyone that he didn't want you back. He did want you back. Ozzie did, too. You got a better offer – another team showed you more financial love – and we understand completely why you had to take it.

Like you said: "It's the business of football." You understood that most of the greats in the game finish with another team – Shannon Sharpe, Rod Woodson, Joe Montana, LaDainian Tomlinson – we could make a long, long list.

And here's another line I've used with family and friends throughout my career, "Don't believe everything you read in the papers." Hopefully, Ed doesn't. Like I said, he deserves better, and so does Harbs.

Talk to you soon,

Kevin

P.S. Go O’s. We have about 100 staff and family at today’s home opener.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Byrne-Identity-Dont-Believe-Everything-You-Read/77e5c7f9-3989-4e0f-bb47-06aa78c71940