ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Where it went wrong

vmax

It went wrong from the beginning and Harbaugh could not get some of his team to play under control.

Because of that, when the team was able to turn the tide, in position to take control and win, the pattern of stupidity continued and guaranteed to deep six this game.

Hensley lays it out clearly here...

It looked like the Ravens would take their first lead when Foxworth returned an interception for a touchdown. But Suggs' illegal block penalty negated the score, and the Ravens settled for a 35-yard field goal to tie the game at 20.

It once again looked like the Ravens would take their first lead but they tripped over themselves. On one drive, a touchdown was negated by a Kelley Washington's holding penalty, a touchdown was dropped in the end zone by Derrick Mason and a field-goal opportunity was taken away by Oniel Cousins' personal foul. One of the worst series of the season for the Ravens ended with them punting the ball away.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-ravens1227,0,4759958.story

You can't play like that on the road... let alone in Pittsburgh.

It's a pattern...every year certain Ravens players help set up a Stealer victory.

Every year some asshole/assholes...cost them the game.

As a team they should be ashamed of the way they played today. They consistently messed up and hurt themselves, all after they fought hard to get back in the game. With the season practically on the line a team cannot play the way they did.

Even the Steelers are gratefull...from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette...

About then, you had to be thinking this just had to be the Steelers' day.

Actually, that was pretty clear much earlier. I mean, really. How often do the hated Ravens come to Heinz Field and lose two touchdowns because of penalties and a third because their star wide receiver dropped a pass, throw an interception, lose two fumbles, allow a 49-yard kickoff return, have a 21-yard punt and take two dumb personal fouls.

Right.

Never.

Who do you keep? Scott? I don't think he makes a huge difference... add Scott, subtract Ray or Suggs and this team is very much the same.

Obviously I know you want to keep CMac, but he would hardly be an improvement. Well, at this point he would be an improvement over Walker or Carr, but they weren't supposed to be starters anyway.

Aside from that, who did we really let go free that would have changed anything?

And who should we have signed that would have made a difference? No one we could afford.

Who do you keep? Scott? I don't think he makes a huge difference... add Scott, subtract Ray or Suggs and this team is very much the same.

Obviously I know you want to keep CMac, but he would hardly be an improvement. Well, at this point he would be an improvement over Walker or Carr, but they weren't supposed to be starters anyway.

Aside from that, who did we really let go free that would have changed anything?

And who should we have signed that would have made a difference? No one we could afford.

Eh no Cmac would not have been a keeper. They never should have given that drunk the big deal. It did not work for them.

I would have kept Scott over Suggs or Ray. I would fill in the rest with the younger LB's.

I would never have signed Rolle. He was not healthy and has only made us cap tight and a spot shorter. I would have taken a run at Brian Dawkins. He could have helped.

Jabari Greer and Ty Law could have helped the DB's.

• Downvote 2

Eh no Cmac would not have been a keeper. They never should have given that drunk the big deal. It did not work for them.

I would have kept Scott over Suggs or Ray. I would fill in the rest with the younger LB's.

I would never have signed Rolle. He was not healthy and has only made us cap tight and a spot shorter. I would have taken a run at Brian Dawkins. He could have helped.

Jabari Greer and Ty Law could have helped the DB's.

20-20 vision is nice, eh? What younger LB's would you fill in with? Sure, it is easy now looking back at the draft saying we should have drafted this guy in round 4, 5, and 6. Ellerbe has been great for us and is only going to get better. Bart Scott hasn't exactly torn it up in New York, and he is not even the best ILB on the team. You are right, the Rolle signing did not make any sense, but Jabari Greer is no more of a #1 corner than Foxworth is. Foxworth has proven the past couple months that he is going to be a solid player for us.

I am for a longer retool to set us up for the long haul. I just didn't see us being that good. FA was thin to help. What I think we needed most was another WR to compliment Mason. That guy was simply not in FA last yr. The D as was constituted would be OK but if the offense was a little more reliable then we could better go score for score.

I am for a longer retool to set us up for the long haul. I just didn't see us being that good. FA was thin to help. What I think we needed most was another WR to compliment Mason. That guy was simply not in FA last yr. The D as was constituted would be OK but if the offense was a little more reliable then we could better go score for score.

I don't see why the two are polar opposites. What is wrong with back-to-back years in the playoffs while retooling at the same time? Ozzie knows that this teams has holes, he is not turning a blind eye. These things take time, you say you want a longer retooling, yet you are mad that we did not radically change the roster all at once. I am not sure what you are getting at. Would you really be anymore happy if we were 4-12 but had a team full of 22-year olds? Just because youth is brought in does not mean it will pan out. Say we did completely rehaul, we would have guys like Chris Carr, Cary Williams, and Oniel Cousins at nearly every position. Basically, young guys with not much potential. There are only so many talented young players that come out of the draft each year, and each team is competing to find steals. The fact that Ozzie found four potential starters in one draft (Oher, Kruger, Webb, and Ellerbe) is pretty impressive. You just have to be patient that Ozzie will improve the receving and defensive back corps like he did with the offensive and defensive lines. In the meantime, enjoy the potential of back-to-back season in the playoffs.

Look what Ozzie has done since Harbaugh got here: he found a franchise QB, he rebuilt an offensive line from an old, aging unit to an up and coming dominant one, he drafted a STUD runningback, and continues to infuse youth into the defense with guys like Ellerbe, Webb, Zibby, Kruger, and Foxworth to go with core guys like Suggs, Ngata, Edwards, and JJ. Whether you agree with it or not, we ARE in a long retooling process. Fans sometimes forget how bad of a shape the team was in when Harbaugh took over. This team was aging faster than Robin Williams in the movie Jack.

I do not think they are retooling. The Ray signing is a we want to win now move. I don't disagree. the Offense is very close to being a force. Get 3 solid Wr's a new younger TE Rice and McClain and a real FB and you are there. BTW Parmelee should be the #3 RB. Almost forgot we need to see if Quinn Sypniewski has anything anymore.

The work should be on the D.

Lock Ngata down. If Gregg can show he is 100% in camp then he stays if not cut him. I would Trade JJ for a 2nd due to the fact that he is very close to 30 and we will be getting deminishing returns from him soon. We are stuck with Suggsfor the next few yrs so either Krueger or another guy gets a push on the other side.

I would see if we can get a trade for Reed. He is falling apart so if we can get something take it. I do like Zibies playing the D straight up. He may not be the playmaker but he will not abandon him responsiblities. Let Landry walk. Try to convert Gooden to SS if it does not work Nakamura and Ziby back there for a yr or two. More than likely Webb will not be ready for the beginnning of the season. They will need to draft another CB. Fabian will be a FA this yr so let him go. Carr will more than likely return next yr but Walker must go.

Here are a list of FA we might look at.

WR Michael Jenkins UFA Atlanta Falcons Free Agent

WR Lee Evans UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent

WR Miles Austin UFA Dallas Cowboys Free Agent

LB DeMarcus Ware UFA Dallas Cowboys Free Agent I know he will be to expensive but I can dream

CB Terence Newman UFA Dallas Cowboys Free Agent

WR Brandon Marshall UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent Only incentive deal

LB Elvis Dumervil UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent Another way to expensive guy

TE Owen Daniels UFA Houston Texans Free Agent

FS Antoine Bethea UFA Indianapolis Colts Free Agent

WR Braylon Edwards UFA New York Jets Free Agent

WR Jason Avant UFA Philadelphia Eagles Free Agent

CB Ellis Hobbs UFA Philadelphia Eagles Free Agent

WR Vincent Jackson UFA San Diego Chargers Free Agent

DL Luis A. Castillo UFA San Diego Chargers Free Agent

WR Antonio Bryant UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers Free Agent

TE Alge Crumpler UFA Tennessee Titans Free Agent

TE Bo Scaife UFA Tennessee Titans Free Agent

LB Keith Bulluck UFA Tennessee Titans Free Agent

I do not think they are retooling. The Ray signing is a we want to win now move. I don't disagree. the Offense is very close to being a force. Get 3 solid Wr's a new younger TE Rice and McClain and a real FB and you are there. BTW Parmelee should be the #3 RB. Almost forgot we need to see if Quinn Sypniewski has anything anymore.

The work should be on the D.

Lock Ngata down. If Gregg can show he is 100% in camp then he stays if not cut him. I would Trade JJ for a 2nd due to the fact that he is very close to 30 and we will be getting deminishing returns from him soon. We are stuck with Suggsfor the next few yrs so either Krueger or another guy gets a push on the other side.

I would see if we can get a trade for Reed. He is falling apart so if we can get something take it. I do like Zibies playing the D straight up. He may not be the playmaker but he will not abandon him responsiblities. Let Landry walk. Try to convert Gooden to SS if it does not work Nakamura and Ziby back there for a yr or two. More than likely Webb will not be ready for the beginnning of the season. They will need to draft another CB. Fabian will be a FA this yr so let him go. Carr will more than likely return next yr but Walker must go.

Here are a list of FA we might look at.

WR Michael Jenkins UFA Atlanta Falcons Free Agent

WR Lee Evans UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent

WR Miles Austin UFA Dallas Cowboys Free Agent

LB DeMarcus Ware UFA Dallas Cowboys Free Agent I know he will be to expensive but I can dream

CB Terence Newman UFA Dallas Cowboys Free Agent

WR Brandon Marshall UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent Only incentive deal

LB Elvis Dumervil UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent Another way to expensive guy

TE Owen Daniels UFA Houston Texans Free Agent

FS Antoine Bethea UFA Indianapolis Colts Free Agent

WR Braylon Edwards UFA New York Jets Free Agent

WR Jason Avant UFA Philadelphia Eagles Free Agent

CB Ellis Hobbs UFA Philadelphia Eagles Free Agent

WR Vincent Jackson UFA San Diego Chargers Free Agent

DL Luis A. Castillo UFA San Diego Chargers Free Agent

WR Antonio Bryant UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers Free Agent

TE Alge Crumpler UFA Tennessee Titans Free Agent

TE Bo Scaife UFA Tennessee Titans Free Agent

LB Keith Bulluck UFA Tennessee Titans Free Agent

So keeping Ray Lewis is a win-now move yet you want us to look at Keith Bulluck? That does not make sense. Just because we kept a couple of vets does not mean we are not retooling. Like I said, you get rid of every player over 30-years old and you end up with young players like Chris Carr, Cary Williams, and Oniel Cousins at every position playing extensive time. You see how mad we get at these types of players, now imagine a team full of these guys. Have you ever though that Ray Lewis might be (by far) our best option right now and for the future at ILB? What I mean by that is if we had a guy who we believe could start in the future, we would have gotten him. We just did not have the opportunity to get that guy. So who would you rather see starting this season, Ray or Gooden/Phillips/late round draft pick? This does us no good in any way. In the NFL today, you can win and retool at the same time.

This is not fantasy football, you cannot just trade everyone. If we could get a second rounder for JJ, sure lets do it, I just do not see that happening. Trading Reed would be moronic, we would be selling low. Teams would be very hesistent to give up worthwhile compensation for the players you mentioned for the exact reasons you want to get rid of them. Do you think teams are blind? Just think, if the average fan sees something wrong with a player, imagine what a GM sees.

I do agree with you though, Gooden is soft and Landry and Washington need to be let go. I think Zibby has the skills to play SS. He has a nose for the ball and his game speed has been very surprising. We have likely seen the end of Pryce as well, so it is time for Kruger to start bulking up, although Edwards is more than capable of starting. Just be patient, rebuilding is not drastic and we are already ahead of the curve with potentially back-to-back playoff season, but at the same time in position to contend for years to come. When the time comes, you will see the phasing out of players like Reed and Lewis. The bottom line is that these guys are still top 5 players at their positions and there was no better option out there unless we drafted a first rounder (but I would say we are pretty happy with Oher, right?). In the meantime, enjoy the playoffs. As someone who is a business major and enjoys the process of "teambuilding" you should understand the process cannot be drastic and be able to see what Ozzie is trying to do.

I was thinking Bulluck for a 1 yr transition. Cousins has had 3 yrrs to be worth while. He is not so let him go. As for the JJ trade I would never have thought you could get a #1 for Seymour. NE did. Reed is just very beat up. He has little value and will give us less every yr. If someone would give me a 4th for him not I would take it. He could very well retire after the season which would make it a nonstarter.

Of course not everything can be fixed in a yr. Actually you can't fix all of it. Every team has holes. The question is how many do you have and how big are they. Indy has gotten by on having no running game. We just have to many holes and some very large ones at that.

Anyone who thinks this is Ozzies fault is an idiot. We have lost 6 close games to playoff teams. This team has just as much talent as any team out there, take away the CB injuries, and I would be confident we can make a Super Bowl run.

Yeah Fabian Washington was really keeping other teams passing games in check.

NO

Marques Colston

Devery Henderson

Robert Meachem

Jeremy Shockey

Lance Moore

NYG

Hakeem Nicks

Mario Manningham

Steve Smith

Kevin Boss

Pit

Hines Ward

Mike Wallace

Heath Miller

Matt Spaeth

Santonio Holmes

Indy

Reggie Wayne

Austin Collie

Dallas Clark

Pierre Garcon

Min

Bernard Berrian

Visanthe Shiancoe

Sidney Rice

Percy Harvin

Dal

Roy Williams

Miles Austin

Patrick Crayton

Jason Witten

Phi

Jeremy Maclin

Reggie Brown

Brent Celek

DeSean Jackson

Den

Eddie Royal

Daniel Graham

Brandon Marshall

Brandon Stokley

Ari

Larry Fitzgerald

Anquan Boldin

Steve Breaston

Anthony Becht

GB

Greg Jennings

Donald Driver

Jermichael Finley

Us

Derrick Mason

Todd Heap - Sometimes

Wow I see all our weopons. Yeah I guess you are right Ozzie was correct in July saying we have great WR's who are capable.

I will say that Heap is always a weapon... when he's allowed to go and play catch. But our offensive plans right now, and in part thanks to our lacking WR corps, call for him to block more often.

You are right, our WR failings probably do fall to Ozzie on some level. They also fall to Billick, Harbaugh and Cam... all of whom thought the crew would work out.

But you point to this whole team and find just one area where we don't match up... to me, that's not so shabby. Every team fails to match-up somewhere (or many places as the case may be in... Arizona?)

PS...

Bernard Berrian is kind of a joke to have on that list. He's not a weapon. Largely helped by the other 3 around him - as Mason would be with some more help, and still Mason's numbers beat Berrian.

Same with Anthony Becht. (REALLY??? Becht??? 7 catches for 61 yards... but Heap's a 'sometimes?')

And Brandon Stokley (mmm 14 catches). And Daniel Graham (mmm 24 catches). And Crayton (33). And Matt Spaeth (5).

Why not just add in every eligible receiver on each of these teams???

Oh... and I love the Giants WR numbers... but I wouldn't trade our spot for the Giants.

Sidney Rice came out of nowhere this yr. Harvin and Rice both, berrian is not as good as Mason. If you look at Vikings in offseason you wouldnt think their wr core was that great. Ozzie might have been guilty on relying on one of the younger wrs(Smith,Williams, Harper) to step up and break out. I think Harper could still be a good wr in this league.