ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Could a bigger running back solve Ravens' short-yardage, red-zone problems?

papasmurfbell

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-could-a-bigger-running-back-solve-ravens-shortyardage-redzone-problems-20140106,0,1202788.story?track=rss

When the Ravens were routed by the New England Patriots in December, running back LeGarrette Blount pounded their defense in the red zone.

The 6-foot, 250-pound running back scored a pair of touchdowns during the Patriots' 41-7 win over the Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium.

It was the kind of determined short-yardage effort at which the Ravens repeatedly failed throughout their season, finishing 31st in red-zone offense. During that same game, running back Ray Rice was stuffed for no gain in a fourth-and-1 situation at the Patriots' 4-yard line.

The Ravens finished 30th overall in rushing offense. And Rice (5 of 8 conversions) and backup Bernard Pierce (4 of 6) ranked 33rd and 25th, respectively, in the NFL in third-down conversions.

Could adding a big, tackle-breaking running back like Blount, a pending unrestricted free agent by the way, add a new element to the Ravens' running game?

“Yes, I think we need to diversify as much as we can what guys can do," Ravens coach John Harbaugh said recently. "I’ve had a lot of conversations with [general manager] Ozzie [Newsome] and with [assistant general manager] Eric [DeCosta] and our different scouts about that, and our coaches, too. Yes, we want to have as many weapons as we can at our disposal.

"Big backs, fast backs, quick backs, route-running backs that you see around the league, we want to chase all those guys. You can’t always get everything you want, but those are things that we could use.”

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-could-a-bigger-running-back-solve-ravens-shortyardage-redzone-problems-20140106,0,1202788.story#ixzz2pj6ivCOm

I would go to the draft for that big back but yes they do need one.

The OL is a given. I am saying getting a big back.

I think getting a RB with a skill set more along the lines of Giovanni Bernard is a much greater need. Not sure how many backs they can carry on the roster while also having Juszczyk. In my eyes, Bernard Pierce is certainly big enough.

AND one that can pass protect.

You know...if they can be a very good run-blocking unit, I could live with pass protection similar to what Joe got this year. The threat of a running game alone would diminish a good bit of the pressure Joe felt this year.

I think they are going to take a HUGE look at Ray Rice' hip during this off season. If there still seems to be a concern come this March, they'll draft another tailback and let Ray walk, cap space and all. I know the Ravens have already said that they will bring Rice back, but they will look at his hip. I also agree that our number one priority this off season is to get a new O line, minus, # 60 and Yanda. K.O.'s back problems will be another health concern the F.O. will watch closely. We will have another center and right tackle starting next season.

I think they are going to take a HUGE look at Ray Rice' hip during this off season. If there still seems to be a concern come this March, they'll draft another tailback and let Ray walk, cap space and all. I know the Ravens have already said that they will bring Rice back, but they will look at his hip. I also agree that our number one priority this off season is to get a new O line, minus, # 60 and Yanda. K.O.'s back problems will be another health concern the F.O. will watch closely. We will have another center and right tackle starting next season.

They are married to Rice for another year due to the cap. They would actually lose 2014 cap space if they parted ways with him. It just doesn't make any sense.

They are married to Rice for another year due to the cap. They would actually lose 2014 cap space if they parted ways with him. It just doesn't make any sense.

Then we better pray that Rice's hip was a one year anomoly.