ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens radio voice Gerry Sandusky: I’ll never change my name

papasmurfbell

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/07/ravens-radio-voice-gerry-sandusky-ill-never-change-my-name/

Gerry Sandusky had a decades-long career as a sports broadcaster before former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky was charged with sexually abusing children. But once the Jerry Sandusky case became a national scandal, Gerry Sandusky faced unrelenting abuse from people who didn’t grasp the fact that they’re two different people, with differently spelled names, and are not related.

Although Gerry Sandusky has received death threats because people think he’s Jerry Sandusky, Gerry Sandusky says he will never change his name. In a new book, Forgotten Sundays: A Son’s Story of Love, Loss and Life from the Sidelines of the NFL, Gerry Sandusky explained that he remains proud of his name, given to him by his father John Sandusky, a former NFL player and coach.

“About two and a half years ago when the Jerry Sandusky — no relation — Penn State story broke, so many people asked me, ‘Why don’t you change your name?’ And the book is largely an answer to that. Over the last couple years I’ve learned through the journey, it’s not my name to change. Gerry Sandusky is the name I have in stewardship that my parents left me — my father and my mother left me a great name, and I intend to do the same thing for my kids,” Sandusky said on NFL Network.

Still, it hasn’t been easy. Thanks largely to Twitter, which makes it simple for any idiot to send someone a hateful message, Sandusky said that when the Jerry Sandusky scandal was a major national news story, he was receiving abusive messages “hundreds of times a day because of my name.” Although the Twitter abuse has died down, it hasn’t disappeared completely. Even today, when NFL Network tweeted that Gerry Sandusky would be a guest, there were replies to that tweet with comments like, “sickening” and “what about the victims?”

Gerry Sandusky may never stop being confused for Jerry Sandusky, but Gerry Sandusky will continue to take pride in who he is.

All this tells me is how stupid America is. How could the guy who is a child rapist be on the NFL Network or calling a Ravens game when he has been convicted and will be in prison for the rest of his life? That just says you are so stupid that you should not have the right to opine on anything.

I have no issue with Gerry. He isn't spectacular but he does his job well.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree... He is often late or wrong with calls, for some one who is also doing radio, he rarely describes the play properly. If I am not home, I don't listen to the game, he is that bad, to me at least. Since he still has a job, I guess I am in the minority....

Me too, Im positive his dad also played for the Baltimore Colts

He was a head coach for the Colts too, briefly in 1972. He filled out the year that Irksay fired McCafferty in. I'm pretty sure he also coached O-line before that. Don't know if he ever played though for the Colts.

He was a head coach for the Colts too, briefly in 1972. He filled out the year that Irksay fired McCafferty in. I'm pretty sure he also coached O-line before that. Don't know if he ever played though for the Colts.

Heck he played for Leaveland, asst coach with the Colts from 59 to 72 when that drunk pig irsay made a fool of the team

Heck he played for Leaveland, asst coach with the Colts from 59 to 72 when that drunk pig irsay made a fool of the team

A lot of people say they're over the old Colts being turned into crap and leaving but I'm not one of them.

A lot of people say they're over the old Colts being turned into crap and leaving but I'm not one of them.

I guess I'll get over it when I take my last breath